What's new

SVS 20-39CS vs. HSU VTF-2 vs. Klipsch RSW-10 (1 Viewer)

Wallis

Agent
I'm getting a 5.1 system for a home theater. Probably will be getting the Yamaha RX-V1300. Not sure what other speakers I'll be getting yet. On the subwoofer, I'm torn between the SVS 20-39CS, the HSU VTF-2, and the Klipsch RSW-10. SVS is probably my first choice, but my wife really wants a box subwoofer that we can put inside a cabinet with a grille on the front. So . . . I'm going to have to burn through lots of brownie points if I fight her on that. I'll be using this system primarily for movies. I like music, but do not have a particularly discriminating ear. I'd sure appreciate any recommendations on which sub to get. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Look at the SVS PB1-ISD. It's the same price as the 20-39, but it's in a box.

EDIT: Sorry, you said the CS, well the box is more expensive than the CS. Are you planning to use an external amp for the CS?

Wallis

Agent
Thanks, SethH. I did a quick look a second ago for the PB1-ISD. It looks like the right size. I couldn't find many customer reviews on it (those who did review it liked it a lot). Quality-wise, how does it compare to the 20-39?

I don't have an external amp, so I'd have to buy that for the 20-39 as well. This may bring the cost for the two SVS's in line.

Wallis

Agent
Thanks. I'll probably go the HSU or SVS box route. My wife REALLY wants the sub to go under a ready-made cabinet with a grill (where the prior homeowners put their sub). I understand that the sub's location can be very important. How worried should I be about this? If my wife insists on this placement, should I consider getting a cheaper sub on the theory that it may be partially wasted because of the limited placement options?

One other question, which again reveals yet another fun facet of domestic life: We got lots of crystal glasses when we got married. It's all sitting on shelves in our cabinets--right where we put it when we got back from our honeymoon. Do I need to worry about having the subwoofer shake the crystal off the shelves? The shelves are probably 25 feet away from the sub's probable placement. A wall partially blocks the straight line between the shelves and the sub.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I certainly wouldn't put any box inside a sub unless that's the *only* option.

edit: err, i mean the other way around of course ;).

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
You must have just gotten married. Personally, I would put the sub where I thought it sounded the best and she will get used to it. If you are going to pursue this hobby there will be greater insults along the way. Might as well start her out with a little one first. I would also purposely shake all that crystal down. I got tons at my wedding and really don't like it all that much. Put a mounted bass, some bowling trophies, and some deer horns in it's place after.

I have heard great things about the Hsu and the SVS. I had the STF-2 for a week or so. I didn't care for the sound but I'm pretty sure it has to do with my room and placement more than anything else. I really don't think you could go wrong with the SVS and that is what I will be getting soon ( as soon as my wife lets me. I didn't start my spouse training soon enough and am now suffering the consequences.)

Wallis

Agent
Married for a few years, Michael. Enjoying it, and trying to keep the wife happy so she will let me enjoy my hobbies.

One other big rub: Due to the configuration of our house and the wiring that is already in place, we either will need to go with ceiling-mounted rear speakers or in-ceiling speakers. What do people think about that? I assume that it is too dangerous to mount true bookshelf speakers. I also assume that my rear speakers necessarily cannot be as powerful as my front speakers. Am I better off getting lesser front speakers, or just getting what I want up front and accepting this limitation in the back? Also, if I have to get smaller speakers in the rear, how closely must they mate to the front ones?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Go for exactly what you want up front. As far as timbre matching it is most important to match your 3 front speakers. Ideally you should match them all, but if you have to have some differences I think it would be best in the back. I would think that if you really wanted to you could ceiling mount some small bookshelf speakers. I figure it probably wouldn't cause any more stress than a ceiling fan spinning around. Just make sure you know what you're doing and do it right. There are some decent in-ceiling speakers out there. I'm pretty sure Klipsch and B&W make some, and I'm sure some other good companies do too.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Good question about ceiling mounting the bookshelves. I might have to tackle this task soon for my 7.1 rears. I was thinking of hanging a platform with four straps attached to the studs. Similar to how my garage door opener is hung. It may look terrible. Any other way you have thought of for this?

I was just kidding about the wife. I'm going on 5 years and my wife is very supportive about the HT. It's the first hobby of mine we care share time enjoying. For some reason she didn't like the dragstrip or the bowling alley? Go figure.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Wallis,

My wife wanted me to do the same thing - try and fit a subwoofer in the cabinets under the entertainment center. Her main reason was that she didn't want to look all day at a big black box. After doing much research, I came to the conclusion that any solution would be so full of audible trade offs that it was barely worth doing.

Instead, I tried a small black box in the corner behind the couch idea, and found the Hsu SFT-2 lacking on the HT side and Hsu lacking in customer support. So I sent it back, realizing I needed to try something else.

So I went a different route, and went for the "see, it's a sub AND a nice end table" plan. Took a very short time for her to get used to the idea, and I now have a SVS PB1-ISD in the tan-granite color (had her pick the color!), and boy does it do wonders for HT!! Movies are amazing, even at low volume levels. The position next to the couch is not the ideal spot for my room, but it is leagues above stuffing it in an entertainment center. Great sub, and SVS customer service is superb.

Not sure if your room has the space for another piece of furniture, but it's a better option.

See this thread on the Spot forum for more PB1-ISD customer comments.

Wallis

Agent
Thanks to all. I carefully measured my cabinet space, and only the SVS PB1-ISD will fit in the space. I will probably end up jettisoning the HSU idea. I may propose the sub-as-furniture idea and upgrade to a wooden SVS. It's a little pricey, but is the only way I can guarantee having an effective speaker.

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Don't discount internet subs such as those offered by Adire or ACI either. I have an Adire Rava and find it perfectly fine for both HT and music use.

http://adireaudio.com/home_audio/lou...eries/rava.htm

It is also IMO more attractive than offerings from Hsu and SVS (save some of their wood numbers) if having an exposed subwoofer is a WAF issue. It'll save you some cash as well.

Victor

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If you don't mind cutting a few holes, build an infinite baffle sub and leave the box, cylinder, and excessive cost behind.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a VTF-2, and it is a great sub, but it does not compete in the class of a 20-39. I have not had a chance to hear the PB SVSs yet, but I'm sure they will also yeild similar results.

VTF-3 can be had in a very nice wood finish as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks