What's new

Suwoofer question (1 Viewer)

newsound

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate Williams
I installed 2 pairs of flushmount speakers (pair of 8" & pair 10") in a garage for a customer of mine that loves loud and bassy rap music. I also installed a 2 channel 100 watt power amp to power the speakers(gets signal from zone 2 line level rca output of a/v receiver), hooked it up to 2 volume controls (1 to each pair) and set the impedance settings to 1x. It plays quite loud but he wanted more bass so I added a 12" 300 watt sub. We wanted the volume control for the speakers to work the sub as the volume was adjusted, so I ran a 4 conductor speaker wire from the speaker out of one of the volume controls (left & right) to the speaker input on the sub (so it's hooked up to 1 pair of speakers and the sub). I do not get the volume level that we want and I was told by the sub manufacturer that it uses its internal 300 watt amp when it is hooked up this way just as it is when it is hooked up line level rca. I was originally going to run a coax from the amp to the sub but I quickly realised that the sub volume would have to be constantly adjusted as the speaker volumes were changed, which is why I ran the speaker wire like I did. The volume is turned up all the way on the sub and it makes a difference in the overall sound of the room, but not enough to justify the extra expense. We want it to thump, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
How big is the "garage"? In all likelihood, the best suggestion might be to add a wall down the middle and cut the size of the room down a bit. A single 12" subwoofer in a "garage" (even a single car garage) is not going to be able to move enough air to create any sort of "thumping".

If he's expecting the sort of thumping you get INSIDE a car in the garage, he's going to need to get used to the concept of "extra expense".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks