What's new

Surge protector for amp? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you can always ask your building supervisor or facilty management what if any protection they use. If you're not the tallest building in your area, of course your danger is minimized.
there are inexpensive point of use, MOV based surge protectors out there. check out Stratitec. If you've got a Sam's Club or Walmart in Canada you can get it pretty inexpensively.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Chu Gai:

Thanks for the info.

I do have a seperate 20 amp circuit for my HT. The electrician will also be checking the grounding of the house. I do have a replacement cost rider on my insurance -
But, would rather not use it since 2 years ago we experienced a large hailstorm which cost the insurance company $14,000 for a new roof and $2500 for a totaled car.

So, it sounds like I've met your 5 conditions assuming this is the right piece of equipment.

I'll do some more asking.

Thanks for your help again.

Mike:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
All I can say they appear to be a solid company. Generally you find companies that focus more on talking about earth ground instead of this feature or that one, know what they're talking about.
Now one of these days, someone's going to come out with a nice power distribution component for HT with delayed switches and all those other little goodies for under a hundred.
Some of these things one can do themselves or maybe they've got an electrician buddy to help them out. However, it's one thing to replace an outlet box and another to work around the mains. BTW, if the electrician has a circuit tester see if you can borrow it and run around the house and check all your outlets to see if they're wired correctly. Else you can buy one at HD for $4.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I picked up a CyberPower model 880 at Best Buy for $21 with a $7 mail in rebate. I almost bought into the Monster sales tactics but after reading some of Chu's posts here at this forum I decided to go with the Cyberpower and leave it at that.
Thanks Chu!

The reason I went with the Cyberpower over a Belkin , AR or even the Monster is because they were the only ones who listed the straigh up specifications of the unit on the side of the box.

Specs of the model 880 are as follows:

Maximum Energy Dissipation 2800 joules
UL 1449 Listed/Clamping voltage 330 volts
Maximum peak current 150,000 amperes
3 ac line protected:
h-n line 60,000 amps
h-g line 45,000 amps
n-g line 45,000 amps
(the max surge possiblility on household wiring is 6000 volts)
Response < 1 nanosecond
EMI/RFI filtration:
150khz to 100 mhz attenuation up to 58db

Electrical rating 125v, 15a, 60hz 1875watts continuous duty.

Telecomunications protection UL 497A listed
Phone line 160 joules
Cable line: spark gap
Circuit breaker: resettable 15amp

FYI
h-n: hot to neutral
h-g: hot to ground
n-g: neutral to ground

Now I know this Cyberpower may not be any better than the rest of them however I appreciate how they took the no nonsence approach and just made a small specs sheet on the side of the box rather than taken the Monster sales bologna route. I may have spend $100 for a Monster cable power strip just because they are build well and look nice however their sales crap and high prices have turned me off.

Thanks again Chu.

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
After some reading, I've decided to get the Cyberpower 880 as well. I have a question though....

Look at the picture of the 880 on Cyberpower's website:http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/surge880.htm

Now look at the picture of the 880 on BestBuys website:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

Is it just me or are these completely different? Is one of these a newer model? I'm about to take the 60 mile drive to my nearest BestBuy, but I don't want to end up getting the wrong thing.
Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
At first I thought the same thing, but after doing a search for this surge protector at different online stores, I've seen a FEW different sites with the same picture that BestBuy has.
Mike Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks