What's new

Superman Returns re-release with new trueHD and PCM track! (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Ah, how very charitable of them. And I suppose in 2 more years for another $20 they will introduce a version with a lossless track and better PQ as well?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I haven´t even seen the film yet, let alone owning the "original" BD-version...

But where are those original Superman-films in BD? Dammit.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Superman The movie and Superman 2 donner cut are both on HDdvd and bluray!
hdnetmovies has played both the theatre version of superman 2 and superman 3.

Jacob

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Good news! Thanks for the heads up. I love the movie and I've been holding out for this.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Why offer a rebate when they can get suckers like us to pony up to the plate 2x?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Considering Warner Bros. waited until their existing stock of DD 5.1 discs were depleted before releasing this version, hoping for an exchange program seems unrealistic.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Ah, sorry. I got confused, since I kinda thought about the big "Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition" (Superman - The Movie/ Superman II/ Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut/ Superman III/ Superman IV - The Quest for Peace/ Superman Returns) (available in SD DVD only)...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Like you maybe, not me. While this was just a ho-hum ok film it's not worth double-dipping for, not even with a TrueHD track.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I completely agree. I may get a bluray set with all the Superman films, but, I damn sure won't go out and buy this one title for a sound upgrade.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think that WB needs to concentrate on releasing Superman 3 & 4 instead of re-releasing Superman Returns.

And I am also wondering when we will see Lethal Weapon 3 & 4?

I guess I would not be surprised to see both Superman and Lethal Weapon released as a 4 movie box set. With new transfers and new lossless audio tracks as well. Has anyone heard anything about the 3rd & 4th movies of ether series?

Eric F

Screenwriter
As mediocre as Returns was, I can't honestly believe people think 3 & (especially) 4 were better. Oh well, different strokes for different folks as they say...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I was never really big on Superman 3 & 4, but in a way I would not mind having a 4 Superman movies on Blu-ray. I actually have never owned all the Superman movies so I might buy them all on Bluray if they where available. You would think that WB would have all the Superman movies on Blu-ray by now. I actually am alot more interested in seeing Lethal Weapon 3 & 4. I would also hope that if WB re-releases Superman 1 & 2 and Lethal Weapon 1 & 2. That they would release them with lossless audio instead of using lossy Dolby Digital.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have a kind of newbie-ish question about this re-release.

According to the Digital Bits, "the original Blu-ray featured only LPCM uncompressed surround audio."

If the original version already contained an uncompressed audio track, what would be the advantage of a losslessly-compressed audio track? Won't they sound exactly the same?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

According to High Def Digest, Superman Returns got a standard 5.1 Dolby Digital track on blu-ray the first time around.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

That is the one thing about the Blu-ray version that I hated! I am not to sure I am willing to double dip this title though. Mostly because I have the HD-DVD version that has a Dolby True HD track. So I am most likely going to have to pass on the re-release of the Blu-ray of Superman Returns.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Weren't a number of people disappointed with the HD DVD on this however because although it was True HD, it was a relatively low sample rate 48khz 16bit if I recall. I don't know if the new version is a 96/24 release or not. Of course it the original recordings are 48/16 it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Doug

Shaun

Second Unit
Does anyone know if this reissue will include a PCM track as well? I thought I read somewhere that the import TrueHD version currently being sold online also includes a PCM track which supposedly sounds better than the TrueHD track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks