What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Superman Rebooted (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I agree. Give it to the Smallville Crew. Why do they keep deciding against this?
Please no more origins story. He is from Krypton. We get it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I loved those few scenes of young Clark. Plus I want a whole new origin on a planet thats not just a giant crystal.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
This is the main thing I always hated about Byrnes post Crisis revamp, and one reason that Lois & Clark makes me gag. When you have both of his parents available as a hale and hearty support system, you reduce the ESSENCE of the character to SuperBOY.
Superman is not part of the crime/thriller genre- it's much more closely aligned with fairy tales. And when you deconstruct fairy-tales, you find that many utilize themes of dramatic parent-child seperation. There is a reason for that. Superman being twice orphaned was a very affecting idea to me as a kid. It engenders enormous sympathy to me...especially because so much of the time he sucks it up and is still able to function as a mensch.
The only way I would accept having either or both of the parents alive in a reboot, is if Clark then has to deal with the painful issues of elder care. How's that for dark.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
I have an idea that will please everybody.

Go ahead and make it a sequal to SR, but don't let BS direct it. Open the movie with Superman confronting Lex Loser after he killed Lois and the gang, kid included. Have Superman melt LL with his heat vision .

After commiting this horrible act, Superman feels incredibly guilty and banishes hisself to the Phantom Zone. In another five year lapse, Superman is free from the Zone by Wonder Woman and the last surviving members of the Justise League to find that Earth has been invaded by Darkseid and his dark army from Apocalypse.

Now Superman is confronted with not only his growing desire for Wonder Woman, but the truth that he might have to kill again to save the day.

Include a nude Wonder Woman scene, and give the movie and R rating and I promised I will be there on day 1.

Now I will go back into seclusion for the rest of the year.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Steve, I think you are right on target. That boxed them in to no end. Dumb move & totally unnecessary. And a lack of respect for the character and source material.

Both the reboot idea & the like/dislike of Superman Returns seems to be split pretty much 50-50 by reactions in this thread.

So even if SR didn't perform at Dark Knight levels, without the kid, Routh and Singer could have moved in new directions for the next film & satisfied both fans and Warner execs.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
The Kid idea should have never passed. Its another case of the studios giving the director to much freedom to go against cannon.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Just asking but, to everyone who keeps saying things like this, have you watched Smallville at all during the past 3 seasons. The show is just awful right now with maybe one or two good episodes in a season. The rest are laughable throwaways. The writers seem to have run out of good ideas years ago yet CW forces them to continue year after year because they can't get another show to succeed on there network. There best villain is gone this year and finally the worst TV love interest ever is gone as well. I just don't think the Smallville team could pull off a Superman movie. If Singer, an accomplished film director, couldn't get it done in many fan's minds then there is no chance for the Smallville crew (a show which many die hard Superman comic book fans despise).

I've vowed to not watch Smallville this season because of the departure of Lex and the fact that the show has not gotten Clark any closer to becoming Superman in years. Honestly though, I'll probably get dragged in just to see if this season is when they finally turn it around, but I don't hold much hope for that. I just want to see the show finally end and Clark become Superman before he is a senior citizen.

If you want a Superman movie that resembles the current comic books more then the Smallville approach is not the way to go.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"[The kid] boxed them in to no end. Dumb move & totally unnecessary. "

The kid gave Superman roots on Earth after he was feeling like the last of his kind. Even his sweet ol' ma wasn't quite enough to get him over his funk that Kypton and his biological father and mother were dead. But with a child, he gained a sense of continuity with life that invested him with even more confidence to knowingly risk his own life (beyond him being the kind of guy who would do that anyway just 'cause he's nice). It worked on a subtext level. Even on a text level, the kid did alright - he wasn't "cute" and the actor was fine, and it was clear that he was years away from developing his powers (random piano tossing being the first sign that he'd start to become healthy and would eventually be a hybrid superman.

The kid worked. I don't know why people don't like the idea that Superman and Lois would get it on and maybe have a kid, that's life. I've chalked some of that reaction up to people not being old enough to be able to relate to having a child, but clearly on HTF the age range is diverse enough that that limitation on the part of the audience should not be a problem. (It did seem to be a problem with the theatrical advertising however -- the theater I saw it at had promotional material that was playing up Superman as an adventure film for kids and families, not for young adults and adults. If Batman 2 had come out BEFORE Superman Returns, perhaps people would have been prepared for mature concepts in a superhero film. But they were not prepared.)

But anyway, the Star Trek II comparison is apt - just continue the story, with a more Michael Bay feel next time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Right there with ya. Very confused about this. Didn't Superman Returns earn over 300 mil in the states alone?[EDIT: Just found out it did about 200 mil, and the budget was $270 million. Wow, how the hell did WB approve a nearly 300 million dollar budget?]

As for villains, Lex Luthor IS the only villain worthwhile in the Superman universe. Everyone else is too sci-fi, and kiddie for a Superman movie.

I for one will skip any future Supe movies. This reboot is unwarranted, and completely sidesteps common sense.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
SR pulled in just a smidge over $200 million after Warner Brothers left it in the theaters for a long time in to the fall to hit that "magic" $200 million plateau.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I agree with what Will_B wrote above, Returns was the first Superman story where I felt that Clark/Superman was really alone, alienated because of his choice to leave for 5 years, until he learns about his son. He risked losing everything important in his life to learn more about his past. Singer and Co brought added depth to the character and made him seem more human in the process. This is why I love the movie so much. Yes, the movie has it's flaws, the pacing and being too much like S:TM (my favourite Superhero movie) but I find SR gets better on repeat viewings. It was the first movie I saw in the theaters twice since Return of the Jedi.

I'd love a sequel but if Warners goes a different route,as long as it isn't Superman III and IV bad. I'll see it. I love Superman.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Caught SR on cable the other day. Still a great movie, IMO, and the best in the series since the first Donner film, which remains the champ.

I don't think we need to worry about comedy elements seeping in, like in III, but I do worry about dumbing it down (which is what a Michael Bay would do). We need smarter films, not ones for the lowest common denominator. Dark Knight should have proved that, and that you can be successful without being dumb.

I won't see a Michael Bay Superman or even one that apes his style.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Good news. I absolutely HATED Returns. To me it was a pale imitation of the first Donner film (which I loved) with a superboy plot element thrown in. Bosworth was terrible. Spacey was terrible. And the plot stunk (Lex involved in ANOTHER land scheme?).

Can't wait to see who is given the reins.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I prefer a reboot too. I don't agree with the "dark" route, but definitely make it serious. Lose the campy suit and the cheese. The red tights were cool thirty years ago, kind of silly now, IMO (notice the IMO).

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, I agree that Superman cannot be done "Dark" like Batman. They are 2 completely different thematical tales.

I've been thinking about this over the past couple of days and I think I know what I would like to see when it comes to a Superman reboot. I really think they should focus on the "Overgrown Boyscout" aspect. Even so far as to play up the naivity of the character. Yes, he's a survivor from a dead planet, but he was still raised by the Kents. They would have instilled in him a "Country Boy" sense of morality. This doesn't take away from the Kryptonian knowledge that he may/may not receive, but I think enhances it.

If it is a reboot, I agree with the above. It should start with his entrance into Metropolis and how he handles the real world of the big city. Keep it localized to the city for which he ends up being the champion. His trusting nature should be challenged and his sense of morality should be swayed. In essence, how does a man hold to his principles in the real world and does he become jaded.

If they can focus on this aspect, I think the inevitable pairing of Supes and Batman would be pretty dramatic and the conflict of viewpoints would be pretty amazing.

BTW, This would be the interesting way that they could reboot Luthor as well. A corporate leader with a lack of ethics, all the power that money can buy, but none of the power from within. I like the thought from another post where Luthor planned on being the cities god, but was usurped by Superman. What that would do to an ego the size of Luthor's is a pretty interesting plot point.

Just some reboot thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks