What's new

Supergirl - season 2 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The whole James romance was baffling. I, too, never rooted for it, but her abrupt decision didn't really satisfy at all.

Completely sold on Tyler as Superman in this incarnation of the show. A great, positive energy to the show, and I'm sorry he'll only recur. I wouldn't mind it becoming the Supergirl-Superman Hour. They had tremendous chemistry together.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The outdoor lighting has a definite, darker "Vancouver" cast. No more bright LA sunlight. Otherwise the changes as discussed earlier are mostly unobtrusive.

CW shows always founder on these romances, but there's time enough to right that ship. This was a strong season opener and I trust the show has a solid future ahead on its natural network.

(Hoechlin co-starred in Richard Linklater's EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!, which also starred Blake Jenner--Benoist's husband.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The outdoor lighting has a definite, darker "Vancouver" cast. No more bright LA sunlight. Otherwise the changes as discussed earlier are mostly unobtrusive.
You're totally right about the exteriors. It looked like they tried to use filters to bring some of the LA warmth back into them, but the light is still very different in Vancouver versus LA. The interesting thing was on the interiors: The two recreated sets had lighting that felt very much like the first season. The new sets, especially the DEO headquarters, had much cooler lighting. The old DEO headquarters was all earthtones, whereas the new DEO headquarters is all blues and slate grays.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The whole James romance was baffling. I, too, never rooted for it, but her abrupt decision didn't really satisfy at all.

Completely sold on Tyler as Superman in this incarnation of the show. A great, positive energy to the show, and I'm sorry he'll only recur. I wouldn't mind it becoming the Supergirl-Superman Hour. They had tremendous chemistry together.
I also didn't like the 180 on the James romance. Just too quick.

I thought it was hilarious when Cat took off her heels and straightened up for Clark. Quite unexpected there. At the end we see the seeds of Cat vanishing from the show for long stretches.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did not watch the premiere tonight. I don't have cable or a DVR. It seems CBS wanted to air Big Bang Theory opposite Supergirl. Both shows I'd think have a very similar demographic and audience. And without cable, I think the CBS and even the ABC apps make you wait a week before you can stream.

I was checking out the CW app and it looks like it can be streamed the next day, so that's a great option via Apple TV or a tablet. I hope that is the case that the CW app will stream Supergirl for the rest of the season.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I really like Tyler as Superman, he has great chemistry with Kara, he has a warmth to him that really fits the show. I really hate that strap on his costume, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The rest of the costume looks fine. He makes for a really good Clark too. I hope he's in more episodes than he's not.

I love the references to the '78 movie and Winn's awkward reaction and questioning to Superman. I'm glad James is in the friend zone. I like the new DEO set and setting but they could have explained it better. I'm going to miss Cat's presence on the show when she's on hiatus, I love those scenes between her and Kara and I think I like them more now that she's less mean to Kara.

The plot thread about Lena Luthor and the attempts on her life felt more like filler but that's understandable. There was a lot to set up for the upcoming season. I'm kind of glad the pod reveal was done as it was, I don't mind waiting on that. All in all, a pretty strong start for the season.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Was Metallaco a new character or someone from the comics?

I really enjoyed this ep. It was quite fun and action-packed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the premiere very much. The change in the romantic subplot was abrupt, but otherwise the show was very strong. I really like that it is set (for all intents and purposes) in the same world as Superman: The Movie. This show, IMO, towers over the DC film universe.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One other note of surprise - in the introduction when she is talking about her friends we see The Flash. I wonder if they are just going to merge Supergirl in without any explanation.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Loved the first episode. Tyler is a complete winner, and the best Superman since the late, great Christopher Reeve. Loved how friendly and confident he is as Supes and as Clark, as it should be. Melissa continues to shine as Kara, and Calista as Cat Grant is FINALLY allowed to act like a real human being, long overdue and makes the show more likable as a whole. Intro of Metallo is great, and love introducing the tension between MM and Superman, something the show can definitely explore. Overall a great kickoff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Supergirl” Delivers The CW’s Most Watched Show in its Time Period in Nearly Eight Years
It tied "Gotham" (on FOX, a big four network) in the key 18-49 demographic, and actually rose 29 percent over the first season finale on CBS in the 18-34 demographic that the CW uses for ad sales. Given the weaker than expected ratings for the season premieres of "The Flash" and "Arrow", the CW execs have to be over the moon with these numbers.

With regard to the Kara/Jimmy split. "We felt like we were pursuing that relationship more because we felt like we had to then any of us was really, truly feeling it." EP Andrew Kreisberg told Entertainment Weekly. "It was interesting because we brought in some new writers in the middle of the season to keep some fresh blood and even they were like coming at it fresh and sort of felt like we weren’t quite sure how we were going to make this happen. We realized that the best scenes between them were just the nice, sweet scenes when they were just being friends."
One other note of surprise - in the introduction when she is talking about her friends we see The Flash. I wonder if they are just going to merge Supergirl in without any explanation.
In another Entertainment Weekly interview, Kreisberg was asked whether the "Supergirl" universe was going to be merged with the Arrowverse and he said: "Not for her entire world, but Kara will be traveling from her dimension to our dimension, 'our' being the world that The Flash, Arrow, and Legends lives in."

Personally, I'd like to have National City dropped into the Arrowverse somehow. Hoechlin's Superman stays behind as the guardian of the "Supergirl" universe, while Supergirl remains the guardian of National City, now in the Arrowverse. They can still have Superman cross dimensions for the occasional guest appearance, but the different universes thing would make it harder for her to rely on him for backup.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the premiere via streaming on Apple TV today. I agree with everyone, a very good start. I like the new Superman. Much in keeping with the 1978 Donner film with lots of good references to it. Even the helicopter bit. I didn't like the gold cape straps either. This Superman is miles better then the current theatrical version.

This did fell awkward how they broke up Jimmy and Kara, but I wasn't feeling it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Last week, I had significant issues with the premieres of "The Flash", "Arrow" and "Legends of Tomorrow". But with episode two, "Supergirl" continues to be pure joy.

If I had a nitpick, it's that the portrayal of kryptonite seems inconsistent; at some points, merely being in the room with it seems to be debilitating, yet in this episode sustained concentrated bursts of it were fired at Supergirl and Superman and they were able to shake it off after some momentary discomfort.

But that's a quibble when everything else was so good. I really appreciate that Calista Flockhart agreed to come back for this two-parter even though her contract let her out completely if the show moved to Vancouver. It was exactly right that the journey that Kara was on with Cat would reach its conclusion just as she's starting at the beginning again with Snapper Carr. And their scenes together, both as Kara/Cat and Supergirl/Cat, were perfect. Great writing, great acting, just a wonderful payoff to that season's worth of investment.

Alex's resentment at being sidelined a bit in Kara's affection as a result of Clark's arrival rang very true. And I loved the scene where Alex is complaining to Winn about how ungrateful Kara is, and Winn fires back with what it feels like to be a foster kid, for gratitude to be expected for things other kids take as a given. It's easy to shoehorn Winn into the comedy relief box, but he's lived a pretty dark road and I like when the show goes to that place.

And while it was a huge stretch to buy someone jumping from photographer to layout editor to CEO of a massive conglomerate without some steps in between, I'm willing to go along with it because I like the idea of Jimmy as Kara's warm, sympathetic boss to balance out Snapper Carr's irritated, taciturn boss.

While the CW version of the show is more sparing with flying shots, and incredibly stingy with shots of the CG Martian Manhunter in his natural form, what we do get is as effective as anything we got in the first season. I still believe a young woman can fly.

The CW put out a fun poster advertising this episode:
Supergirl_S02_018.jpg

At the end of the day, this two-parter with Superman was a well-executed bridge between the CBS version of the show and the CW version of the show. I'm excited to see what the CW version of the show looks like, starting next week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last week's episode got some of the highest ratings ever for a CW show, so you can expect to see more of Superman.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Had a great time with tonight's episode, and loved all the teamwork involved in the denouement.

I really hope Superman is a frequent visitor. I know it's called Supergirl, but he was such a positive force on the show, and I enjoyed Clark just as much as Superman. PLEASE powers-that-be, bring Tyler back several more times this season. You've got something golden with their pairing.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I really enjoyed tonight's episode. I wasn't expecting Metropolis to make an appearance :). The final fights with both Metallos were really well done and exciting. I hope Tyler returns very soon, he fits the show really well. I'm going to miss Cat.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great stuff last night in the show. I keep saying this, but the tone of it is just right. I suspect we will see more of Clark/Superman. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Lois and Perry too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
An interview with one of the show's producers this morning in TV Guide Online explained that legally they can't make Superman a regular on the show, so I suspect DC grants them a certain number of uses with the actual character, and the rest will be texting, possibly phone calls. Still, I hope they're structuring the season's big moments so he can make however many return appearances they can legally put forth.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Superman, what a great addition to this show. The world of Supergirl feels right with his appearances.

I will miss the quieter moments Kara shares with Cat. I've got to say, the introduction of Snapper adds a touch of coarseness to the show (definitely needed) and seems to be someone who will push Kara to be a better reporter. I really like the direction of this season. Seems that Winn will be performing the Cisco function on this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks