What's new

Sub needed for music, opinions needed........ (1 Viewer)

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
I'm building a set of GR Research A/V speakers for my parents, who will only be listening to classical and mellow music at normal levels. I need a good and cheap (oxymoron) sub to match up with them.

Is this a job for the Dayton 10" powered sub, or is there another "value" sub out there that can get to 30hz clean and flat.

Would I be doing the GR's a disservice by not running a higher quality sub? DIY is an option as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the price, DIY is probably the best route, but if they aren't looking for extreme depth, then the Dayton sub will probably do just fine. If they have a large room or like a little more oomph, you could always step up to a 12" Titanic kit from PE. Next in line might be something like the HSU STF-2 or Adire Rava.

Which model GRs?

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Well, they don't see the need for a sub, so I may be funding it myself. I've got a Tempest and a 250w plate amp laying around, but that's overkill for them. They're in their late 60's-early 70's, and won't be rocking the house. I just want to fill in the bottom end for them.

I'm getting them the A/V-3S sealed speakers. They will be going horizontal on a shelf, I didn't have room for the A/V-2's. I was going to go with the A/V-1's, but figured that I might want a little more output.

I also scored an refurb HK 120w 2 channel receiver from Harman Audio so ,in total, they should hear a definate improvement over their Aiwa "boom box" system.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say the Dayton is the way to go then. With the sealed 3S, probably will want a sub, since they don't extend as low. A/V-1s extend lower, but if it's a larger room, I'd say the extra output would probably be worth it. I run A/V-2s up front and A/V-1s for surrounds.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
M&K makes (or has in the past) some excellent small subs, low powered with good extension. If you’re patient you can pick them up on eBay for usually under $200. The models to look for are MX-70, VX-7, and K-9.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks