What's new

Steve Martin made fun of HDTV on the oscars. (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Glad to see its not just mine. As I'm new to this HD thing the picture looked pretty nice to me. Much brighter and clearer than the normal channel. Most of the show I wached seem to be pretty glich free though. I thought His Humor was spot on, not overboard or harsh at all. But I've always liked him as a comedian. Maybe they'll give him another chance next year as I believe most of the reason for the low numbers were because of 1. the war, and 2. the celebrities.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I though the oscars were, quite frankly, the most boring they've been in a while. It probably had something to do with the tired rants from the celebs; but there seemed to be a lack of film-related 'content'. Just a list of nominees and an acceptance speech. The few shorts they did were good: I liked the "what oscar has done for me" bit in particular. (I was a bit annoyed with the choices of music for the Peter O'Toole tribute though- couldn't they come up with more suitable pieces than the themes from "Henry V" and "The Land Before Time"??) But the rest of the show seemed empty.
What happened to the system they used a last year (or was it the year before?), where they would show clips related specifically to the category being announced? As an example, the writing nominees would have an excerpt read from the script over a visual shot it described, and editing nominees were shown with four angles at the top and the final edit at the bottom. That sort of thing made the show interesting, I wish they'd do it again.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Are the Oscars now available in 4K or higher? I think re-doing the joke for the current audience would be very witty. Glad the whole 3D fad seems to have died out and we are looking at 4K and higher resolutions instead.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Oddly enough, I did speak for myself! :)

Never said everyone was happy.

I think 8K is probably the same "joke" that HD was back in the early 2000s. Pretty much no one had it and it seemed near impossible to get a proper source/signal for it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oddly enough, I did speak for myself! :)

Never said everyone was happy.

I think 8K is probably the same "joke" that HD was back in the early 2000s. Pretty much no one had it and it seemed near impossible to get a proper source/signal for it.
And you think 8K is going to be a viable format?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m also curious as to why you’re glad the”3D fad” seems to have died out (which it hasn’t by the way).

What did 3D ever do you you?;)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I just have never enjoyed the 3D experience. Neither in the movie theatre or at home. It just doesn't seem to "work" for my brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks