What's new

Steve Martin made fun of HDTV on the oscars. (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Who cares, the show is looking very nice in HDTV!
Does the picture look a little soft to you? I need to do some touching up on my convergence. That being said, some of the shots look a little soft. But most of the shots are great, especially Jennifer Garner.:D :D :D

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I don't think he made fun of HDTVs, I think he made fun of the fact that not many people have them yet.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member

I thought it was a hilarious joke...why? cuz no one has hdtv yet!! cept maybe us HTFers ;)

(edit: whoops ..I see my point has been illustrated already. oh well, here's emphasis)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a hilarious joke...why? cuz no one has hdtv yet!! cept maybe us HTFers
Are you sure he wasn't just making fun of the 3 stragglers that don't know about Circuit City's price protection?

[Note: Do not shop at the past home of DIVX] ;)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was amazed that he actually found a CC with 3 employess in it that actually knew what HDTV was!

As long as we're here, I liked his crack about LOTR better. - Now that was a great download!

Glenn

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I was so glad there was no annoying Whoopy Goldberg and boring Billy Crystal, Steve Martin made me laugh more than all the so called comedies of the past year. I forgot half his best lines but those I did remember are in my special oscars sig.
He's the best host, I hope he is "asked" for next year as well!

Oh and he doesn't need to dress up into different costumes or monkey around like other hosts to be funny.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Is it just my System (I just got Time Warner HD decoding box hooked in on Saturday morning) because during the Show last night when they were following Steve Martin around during his intro it was kind of "Skippy", and a couple of times the signal dropped out along with the sound then came right back up.

Is this typical to everyone elses experiences. When they showed the clips of the movies or the commercials there was no problem. Only when they focused on him. The picture and sound quality was definatly better than the normal channel.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I just recently pickup a HD receiver (using rabbit ears for now) for OTA local HD. I turned on the box about 15 minutes into the show. It looked great in wide-screen. I did notice some pauses a few times. Not sure if it was my rabbit ear reception or just OTA local pickup and broadcasting issue. Didn't affect the show for the most part. Martin was the perfect host for this years show. The picture did also look a little soft. But, I'm still working through some adjustments in the TVs sub menu setup.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is it just my System (I just got Time Warner HD decoding box hooked in on Saturday morning) because during the Show last night when they were following Steve Martin around during his intro it was kind of "Skippy", and a couple of times the signal dropped out along with the sound then came right back up.
I got the same thing, though not just on Steve Martin's bits. It's what I generally get on HD broadcasts, on all of the channels I receive. I don't know whether the problem is in the sources, my local Time Warner signal, or something else altogether. But it's the reason why I don't watch a lot of HD material.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Locally, my ABC affiliate still has problems with their OTA HDTV broadcast, and periodically we'll get dropouts or static on the audio side. But it wasn't distracting enough for me to switch to a Cable TV feed.

Also, the broadcast might have been "soft" because, well, HDTV is pretty unforgiving when it comes to facial close-ups, and this is, afterall, the Oscars! :D

My local ABC station had the non-HD signal on their HD channel for the first few minutes. They didn't switch over until Martin told that joke. It was like the tech watching the feed was like "Yeah, who has HDTVs? Hahaha. Wait, HDTV, did I switch the feeds?"

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
My OTA drop outs were frequent and severe enough that I had to change to the regular broadcast. That was the first time I've had that problem. The massive OTA antenna was in perfect postion too. Wierd....very wierd.

David.N

Agent
I too had heavy OTA dropouts and pixelating...:frowning: The only stellar OTA broadcast I've seen so far, was last years superbowl. I'm FINISHED with antenna amplifiers and rotators, climbing into the attic to screw-around with connections......Tomorrow I'm having Time Warner bring out an HD box:)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
My local ABC station had the non-HD signal on their HD channel for the first few minutes. They didn't switch over until Martin told that joke. It was like the tech watching the feed was like "Yeah, who has HDTVs? Hahaha. Wait, HDTV, did I switch the feeds?"
Scott, did you notice the audio was out of sync? It was annoying.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Loved that joke.

I had several dropouts, but it wasn't so bad as to make me not like the wonderful broadcast.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I got dropouts also, and like others, it happens w/ most any broadcast, not just last night's Oscars. I use Time Warner in NYC area.

One other thing about the softer look. That could be partly (or largely?) due to ABC using 720p, instead of 1080i. I don't really recall ever seeing ABC HD looking any sharper than last night's Oscars, but I could be wrong on that.

_Man_

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Another joke you guys probably liked:

"I loved The Two Towers. That was a great download, I mean, uh, theatrical exprience." :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There were picture freezes and sound dropouts on most west coast stations, with KABC in LA being the worst, according to a thread over at AVS.

They weren't too bad here in Fresno on our local ABC affilliate, but they usually do much better. I've been able to enjoy many shows on that station with only one or 2 very brief dropouts per hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks