Steve Martin made fun of HDTV on the oscars.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by AaronNWilson, Mar 23, 2003.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Who cares, the show is looking very nice in HDTV!

3. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I don't think he made fun of HDTVs, I think he made fun of the fact that not many people have them yet.

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I thought it was a hilarious joke...why? cuz no one has hdtv yet!! cept maybe us HTFers [​IMG]

(edit: whoops ..I see my point has been illustrated already. oh well, here's emphasis)

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I was amazed that he actually found a CC with 3 employess in it that actually knew what HDTV was!

As long as we're here, I liked his crack about LOTR better. - Now that was a great download!

Glenn

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I was so glad there was no annoying Whoopy Goldberg and boring Billy Crystal, Steve Martin made me laugh more than all the so called comedies of the past year. I forgot half his best lines but those I did remember are in my special oscars sig.
    He's the best host, I hope he is "asked" for next year as well!

Oh and he doesn't need to dress up into different costumes or monkey around like other hosts to be funny.

9. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Is it just my System (I just got Time Warner HD decoding box hooked in on Saturday morning) because during the Show last night when they were following Steve Martin around during his intro it was kind of "Skippy", and a couple of times the signal dropped out along with the sound then came right back up.

Is this typical to everyone elses experiences. When they showed the clips of the movies or the commercials there was no problem. Only when they focused on him. The picture and sound quality was definatly better than the normal channel.

10. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I just recently pickup a HD receiver (using rabbit ears for now) for OTA local HD. I turned on the box about 15 minutes into the show. It looked great in wide-screen. I did notice some pauses a few times. Not sure if it was my rabbit ear reception or just OTA local pickup and broadcasting issue. Didn't affect the show for the most part. Martin was the perfect host for this years show. The picture did also look a little soft. But, I'm still working through some adjustments in the TVs sub menu setup.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Locally, my ABC affiliate still has problems with their OTA HDTV broadcast, and periodically we'll get dropouts or static on the audio side. But it wasn't distracting enough for me to switch to a Cable TV feed.

Also, the broadcast might have been "soft" because, well, HDTV is pretty unforgiving when it comes to facial close-ups, and this is, afterall, the Oscars! [​IMG]

13. Scott Diedrick

My local ABC station had the non-HD signal on their HD channel for the first few minutes. They didn't switch over until Martin told that joke. It was like the tech watching the feed was like "Yeah, who has HDTVs? Hahaha. Wait, HDTV, did I switch the feeds?"

14. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

My OTA drop outs were frequent and severe enough that I had to change to the regular broadcast. That was the first time I've had that problem. The massive OTA antenna was in perfect postion too. Wierd....very wierd.

15. David.N

David.N Agent

I too had heavy OTA dropouts and pixelating...[​IMG] The only stellar OTA broadcast I've seen so far, was last years superbowl. I'm FINISHED with antenna amplifiers and rotators, climbing into the attic to screw-around with connections......Tomorrow I'm having Time Warner bring out an HD box[​IMG]

16. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Loved that joke.

I had several dropouts, but it wasn't so bad as to make me not like the wonderful broadcast.

18. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I got dropouts also, and like others, it happens w/ most any broadcast, not just last night's Oscars. I use Time Warner in NYC area.

One other thing about the softer look. That could be partly (or largely?) due to ABC using 720p, instead of 1080i. I don't really recall ever seeing ABC HD looking any sharper than last night's Oscars, but I could be wrong on that.

_Man_

19. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Another joke you guys probably liked:

"I loved The Two Towers. That was a great download, I mean, uh, theatrical exprience." [​IMG]

20. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

There were picture freezes and sound dropouts on most west coast stations, with KABC in LA being the worst, according to a thread over at AVS.

They weren't too bad here in Fresno on our local ABC affilliate, but they usually do much better. I've been able to enjoy many shows on that station with only one or 2 very brief dropouts per hour.