What's new

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access - 2020) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So, The Stand is getting a new series on CBS All Access, and it will air in 2020. Casting so far looks good - James Marsden, Amber Heard, Greg Kinnear, Odessa Young, Brad WIlliam Henke, Marilyn Manson (yep), and Whoopi Goldberg:

https://uproxx.com/tv/stephen-king-the-stand-james-marsden-amber-heard/

And today, casting for Randall Flagg was announced - Alexander Skarsgard will be playing the Walkin' Dude:

https://uproxx.com/tv/stephen-king-the-stand-alexander-skarsgard-randall-flagg/

Josh Boone will be directing. King will be co-executive producing and has written new scenes for the show that are not in the book.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t subscribe to AA just for this (it’s not one of my favorite King books), but I’ll definitely check it out at some point when I have the AA subscription active for Star Trek.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn’t subscribe to AA just for this (it’s not one of my favorite King books), but I’ll definitely check it out at some point when I have the AA subscription active for Star Trek.
One-out-of-two Joshes agree, The Stand is Stephen King's best work :cool::D, but seriously, yeah, I'm cool with the Walkin' Dude-casting, here. Skarsgard was great in Big Little Lies and Little Drummer Girl, and he has the necessary presence to pull off being the big bad-guy in this thing.

I rather like the Larry Underwood-casting, too. Adepo is terrific in The Leftovers and Overlord.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'll weigh in to complete the Josh set. The Stand is one of my favourite King books, but not my absolute favourite (that's The Gunslinger).

I'll tune in for this--but doubt I'll need to subscribe to a new service since we don't have AA here in Canada. I assume that, just like Discovery, The Stand will be on our version of the SyFy Channel (which used to be called Space, and which is now called Sci-Fi).

Casting all looks solid, though it really hinges on Stu, Randall, Nick, and Nadine.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've been resisting adding additional monthly entertainment charges to my budget, but if CBS AA continues to add more 'genre' content I might be swayed. I really enjoyed the novel and the original mini-series, so this seems like something that might get me on board.

We'll see. :)

- Walter.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Boone had been trying to do The Stand as a movie for a while now, but a 10 episode series is probably the better way to go. He said it would be “HBO level R-rated” and that also feels appropriate for the material.

I think The Dark Tower would also work better in this format as well.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Whoopi Goldberg recently revealed her new Mother Abagail-haircut, with shooting on The Stand about to commence, here:

1TnDX0T.jpg

Those weasels are gonna put her through the wringer. They also just had Stephen King on The View, and she King discussed her upcoming old-age makeup prosthetics for the CBS All Access series.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No release date was ever announced, so whether or not it's being delayed is unknown. I'd say that it's a pretty solid bet their original plans for the show were disrupted by the pandemic.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just bought the original mini-series and I couldn’t make it thru the first episode. It disjointed without a flow and the acting was uniformly poor.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I just bought the original mini-series and I couldn’t make it thru the first episode. It disjointed without a flow and the acting was uniformly poor.

I could never really understand the praise the miniseries has received over the years. It suffers from being a '90s network TV production and without enough time to really tell the story. I hope this series does it justice.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I could never really understand the praise the miniseries has received over the years. It suffers from being a '90s network TV production and without enough time to really tell the story. I hope this series does it justice.

Sure, it's a TV production with all the limits of a TV production. But I remember it being ambitious, unique and engrossing.

Mind you, the last time I watched the whole thing was when the Artisan DVD came out. I watched all four episodes with my sister on Christmas Eve Day and we spoke so highly of it to our parents wanted to watch it on Christmas Eve night.

So we watched the whole thing twice in the same day.

I have the Blu-ray and just haven't invested the time to watch it yet. Maybe my opinion will change. Who knows.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sure, it's a TV production with all the limits of a TV production. But I remember it being ambitious, unique and engrossing.

Mind you, the last time I watched the whole thing was when the Artisan DVD came out. I watched all four episodes with my sister on Christmas Eve Day and we spoke so highly of it to our parents wanted to watch it on Christmas Eve night.

So we watched the whole thing twice in the same day.

I have the Blu-ray and just haven't invested the time to watch it yet. Maybe my opinion will change. Who knows.
My very vague memory of it was positive. But I couldn’t even get Thru one episode of the blu ray. It came across as disjointed. The switching from one set of characters to another was unnatural to me. The gimmick casting for the “world is coming to an end” character did not help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks