What's new

Star Wars: The Acolyte (Disney+) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that this rumor comes a day after an announcement that the Acolyte had hired Star Wars’ first-ever transgender cast member. This is likely a reaction to that news from someone who has a problem with it.
I think this cancellation rumor is at least as real as the one about the civil war inside Lucasfilm (Favreau and Filoni [the two people at LFL that I've heard of and give all credit to] vs. Kennedy, Abrams and Johnson [the people at LFL that I blame all the problems in my life on]) or the near decade old "INSIDER INFERMATION: KAthleen kennedy is getting fired from Lucas's Films!!!!11!1" or last week's "George Lucas is buying back Star Wars and saving the franchise!" idiocy.

Honestly, these clowns have been making up so much stuff for so long that you'd think that they should have accidentally made something up that actually ends up happening by now.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Some new official info:

• Fans of the fight sequences in The Phantom Menace will enjoy the physicality of the fights in The Acolyte.

• The Acolyte sets itself apart from other Star Wars series in many ways, including not relying on blasters in its action sequences, focusing instead on body-to-body choreography.

• The show takes place a hundred years before The Phantom Menace, exploring the High Republic era and the mistrust in the Jedi Order

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Trailer drops tomorrow, also first poster.

GI9v2d5WgAACLvO

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The show looks promising. I hope they really pull off something different here.

Who is the title character? Is Dafne Keen?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like that it's set so far apart in the timeline from the Skywalker saga. While we know that the Jedi Order won't fall for another century, we don't know the fates of any of the characters. Maybe Amandla Stenberg's character will become a Sith Lord. Maybe she will be redeemed. Maybe she will die. Same with the Jedi she's hunting.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I really want to like this, but I've got a bad feeling about it. Andor was so amazing and there wasn't a single light saber or force power in it. Obi-Wan and Ashoka went full on with the lightsabers and force and everyone was bored with it. Now they're promoting this as 'fans of the physicality of Phantom Menace will love it' and lightsabers abound in the trailers. Seems like they haven't really learned their lesson.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I support and encourage diverse representation in film and television, but this is a troubling bit of news. Star Trek Discovery, also run by a queer woman, has let the gay angle really take over the show. I sincerely hope that isn’t the case with The Acolyte.

Leslye Headland: “In the same way that the original Star Wars film, A New Hope, is about a young man living in Modesto, Calif., who doesn't want to take over his dad's hardware store... there's just no way that me being a queer woman is not going to be reflected in my work. I could try not to do it, but why would I? It just feels like a natural extension of what I do."

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I really want to like this, but I've got a bad feeling about it. Andor was so amazing and there wasn't a single light saber or force power in it. Obi-Wan and Ashoka went full on with the lightsabers and force and everyone was bored with it. Now they're promoting this as 'fans of the physicality of Phantom Menace will love it' and lightsabers abound in the trailers. Seems like they haven't really learned their lesson.

I obviously can't speak for others, but in my estimation...

Andor was great because the writing and acting were as good as anything we've experienced in the Star Wars universe (certainly on D+)

I wasn't bored with Ahsoka which was essentially Star Wars: Rebels season five. I thoroughly enjoyed that series and am anticipating season two. (It wasn't perfect but there was enough to enjoy that I could overlook some of the flaws.)

I wanted to like Obi-Wan but (at the risk of piling on) the writing was terrible. The tropes of the Star Wars universe (light sabers and Force powers) were present, but it wasn't their presence that detracted from the series. It was the completely illogical and contradictory ways in which they were presented at times. (Plus other things I discussed in the Obi-Wan thread.)

If the trappings of the SW universe are used well and in a sensible manner they won't be boring. It is all about execution, at least in my opinion. I have some reasons to be optimistic about the new series:

- I for one was a fan of the Sith fighting style in TPM. It was very dynamic and was one of the best things about TPM.
- As others have mentioned, the idea of stepping away from the Skywalker saga may breathe some fresh air into the D+ SW content.
- I am pretty stoked for Trinity as a Jedi.

We'll see in a few months if that optimism is warranted.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hate to seem like I'm picking on Leslyle Headland, but here is an interview with her in which she clearly doesn't know what she is talking about. She is asked whether The Acolyte bears resemblance to The Mandalorian or Andor? And she says "I think it’s very different. We’ve utilized practical sets much more so than the other shows."

Andor did not use "The Volume" and built practical sets, so much so that they built an entire city set, which even had running water!

Anyway, here is the interview with Headland:

I do give Headland credit for saying she is inspired by The Clone Wars. I'll be watching the series as soon as it's released, and I want it to succeed. But this is the second interview with her that I've seen where she doesn't give me hope.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've had serious Franchise Fatigue the past couple years. And I know nothing about anything for this series or how it fits into Star Wars-dom. But the Trailer looks fantastic and I'm watching this show.

I think I'm drawn to it because for me it has nothing to do with Star Wars. I don't know these characters. I don't know and don't want to know how it fits into the too-big star wars "canon". It just looks like a good show aimed at adults that I can come into cold and enjoy on its own merits for some action/drama/scifi/fantasy fun.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hate to seem like I'm picking on Leslyle Headland, but here is an interview with her in which she clearly doesn't know what she is talking about. She is asked whether The Acolyte bears resemblance to The Mandalorian or Andor? And she says "I think it’s very different. We’ve utilized practical sets much more so than the other shows."

Andor did not use "The Volume" and built practical sets, so much so that they built an entire city set, which even had running water!
My guess would be that she's probably just giving the fairly standard modern director and actor lie/answer by talking about the practical sets (or, in other cases, how they used practical effects more than CG) to placate psycho fans. Just because a set was built or they used one makeup job on an actor, they act like they're living in 1987 and ignore that nearly every shot has something digital in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks