What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
EW is reporting that two spinoffs being prepped are (Young) Han Solo, and Boba Fett. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/ If I had to guess, I'd bet Kasdan is working on Han Solo and Kinberg on Boba Fett. All signs point to the studio really getting things into gear.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The young Han solo film will take place between Revenge of The Sith and New Hope and Boba Fett would take place between New Hope and Empire. Both sound pretty cool. i hope with the Han solo one we will get to see how the Empire progresses from Revenge to New Hope like seeing TIE fighters and stormtroopers. Maybe even a Vader cameo.:)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Bob_S. said:
The young Han solo film will take place between Revenge of The Sith and New Hope and Boba Fett would take place between New Hope and Empire. Both sound pretty cool. i hope with the Han solo one we will get to see how the Empire progresses from Revenge to New Hope like seeing TIE fighters and stormtroopers. Maybe even a Vader cameo.:)
I'd also like to see how Han acquires the Millenium Falcon, joins up with Chewbacca and even see some of his bounty hunting missions. I could careless to see his deal with Jabba the Hut.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Every fan worth their salt knows Han won the Falcon from Lando in a card game. There are varying versions of Han and Chewie meeting, but owing Solo a Life Debt has never changed. I'd rather see the Brian Daley Han Solo books adapted into films. They are the earliest non movie novels aside from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and pretty darn good. (Plus, they are set before ANH.) The Boba Fett mystique is pretty much gone for me. (Thanks prequels!) It would take one heck of a movie to for me to get excited about the character again.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
^ I remember all 3 of those books. HS At Stars End, HS's Revenge, HS & The Lost Legacy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
None of the books or comics are going to see an adaptation. No screenwriter of Kasdan, Kinberg, or Arndt's caliber is going to spend time adapting a novel that might be 35 years old. Here's an LA Times article with words from Kasdan: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-writer-lawrence-kasdan-wants-spinoff-film-to-start-fresh/#/0

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm not wild about some of these spin off mini prequels. They are not going to live up to peoples expectations. I would prefer a spinoff with new characters like the rumored 7 Samurai. I don't care about Han Solo as a misfit teen. Or Boba Fett being turned into a good guy. An adventure with Ewan returning as Obi-wan set after Episode 3 maybe that could work. Yoda as a kids story, but what's a a Jedi like him to do when there were no Sith around through most of his 900 year life.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I
Norm said:
I'm not wild about some of these spin off mini prequels. They are not going to live up to peoples expectations. I would prefer a spinoff with new characters like the rumored 7 Samurai. I don't care about Han Solo as a misfit teen. Or Boba Fett being turned into a good guy. An adventure with Ewan returning as Obi-wan set after Episode 3 maybe that could work. Yoda as a kids story, but what's a a Jedi like him to do when there were no Sith around through most of his 900 year life.
I agree. Didn't we learn anything from the prequel trilogy? Telling the story of what happened BEFORE the things you already know about is boring. There's no suspense, there's no drama (other than whatever is contrived by the writers to "make it interesting") in getting from point A to point B when everyone knows what point B is. Tell a continuing story. Introduce new characters and tell their story. You just spent $4 billion for rights to the entire Star Wars GALAXY, why focus on the same dozen characters we already know. Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't thinking bigger with this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason Charlton said:
I I agree. Didn't we learn anything from the prequel trilogy? Telling the story of what happened BEFORE the things you already know about is boring. There's no suspense, there's no drama (other than whatever is contrived by the writers to "make it interesting") in getting from point A to point B when everyone knows what point B is. Tell a continuing story. Introduce new characters and tell their story. You just spent $4 billion for rights to the entire Star Wars GALAXY, why focus on the same dozen characters we already know. Honestly, I'm surprised they aren't thinking bigger with this.
I get what you're saying (and I wholeheartedly agree with your idea of doing stories with new characters) but I disagree with the idea that knowing where, say, Han ends up in A New Hope means that you can't have drama or suspense with that character in a story that comes before that. You can't really place him in a situation where it's life or death since it's clear that he'll make it but you can still put him in an exciting and fun action movie. Look at basically any comic book movie or any superhero comic book or The Clone Wars cartoon or a Pixar movie, the characters can be placed in life and death situations and while you know the characters aren't going to die, you're hopefully still invested in the story.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think its a mistake to take on a character as iconic as Fords Solo. Theres so many other things to do........ Young Palpatine discovering the Dark Side, Vader post RoTS hunt for ObiWan, Jabbas rise to power and control over the criminal underworld of Tatooine, The first Sith vying for power and establishing the "only 2" order,etc... sound more interesting to me than a Solo film.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Jason Charlton said:
You just spent $4 billion for rights to the entire Star Wars GALAXY, why focus on the same dozen characters we already know.
Yeah, $4 billion. I don't think Disney spent $4 billion just to take a chance on developing new characters in the Star Wars universe. I think much of the value is in being able to tell the stories of the iconic charaters from the OT. I think this deal guarantees that at some point we'll see a remake of the OT. It may be 10 or more years from now, but it will happen IMHO.
Norm said:
I don't care about Han Solo as a misfit teen.
I think very few people would disagree with you. I think what we'll see is that Disney will take the characters they know will be a draw at the box office and show them in their prime. So we'll probably get a recast Han Solo in his twenties and see his adventures before ANH.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Bryan X said:
Yeah, $4 billion. I don't think Disney spent $4 billion just to take a chance on developing new characters in the Star Wars universe. I think much of the value is in being able to tell the stories of the iconic charaters from the OT. I think this deal guarantees that at some point we'll see a remake of the OT. It may be 10 or more years from now, but it will happen IMHO. I think very few people would disagree with you. I think what we'll see is that Disney will take the characters they know will be a draw at the box office and show them in their prime. So we'll probably get a recast Han Solo in his twenties and see his adventures before ANH.
I agree Disney is going to milk Star Wars every way they can. I guess I can ignore the moves I don't like. Like a lot of the Star Wars EU that is horrible. I wonder if Lucas has a few rules set-up that you can't use the Emperor or Vader if the movie is set after Episode 6. I don't have any faith in that since Lucas caved to the bring back Darth Maul fans in the Clone Wars TV series. I think he realized he screwed Maul up by showing so little of him in Episode 1.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Norm
I wouldn't be surprised if the Yoda story is the Seven Samurai story. Yoda would be an ideal Kambei. Just place it 100 years before TPM and go from there.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Brandon Conway said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Yoda story is the Seven Samurai story. Yoda would be an ideal Kambei. Just place it 100 years before TPM and go from there.
Or it could have Ewan/Obi-wan leave Tattione in search of some lost Jedi only to gather with them to help defeat the bandits. I really hope they start spinning in Dark Jedi & ignoring that Darth Bane created Sith Rule of Two. Lucas gave canon approval on the Darth Plagueis novel which pretty much stated that Darth Tenebrous, Plagueis & Papatine were the first in 1000 years to ignore the Rule of Two.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Just want to bring up that I suspect we'll see a Bad Robot cameo somewhere in the movie. JJ practically has to have his logo walking around in the background somewhere! :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth
Han Solo shot first: Harriston Ford set to reprise role in new 'Star Wars', report From Fox News Latino Last Updated: 1:37 PM, February 15, 2013 Posted: 1:35 PM, February 15, 2013 Harrison Ford will play Hans Solo again in the Star Wars, Latino-Review tells Fox News Latino. The Hollywood gossip website has broken entertainment news for nearly 10 years, scooping even TV and movie trade papers. Cited by the Hollywood Reporter, Variety, and polarized in tinsel-town, Kelvin Chavez and Umberto “El Mayimbe” Gonzalez, two Latinos from Queens, New York have dedicated their lives to informing their readers about movies -- specifically superhero flicks. The two long-time friends get insider information that movie studios don’t want to talk about.
Full Article: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/star_solo_shot_first_harriston_ford_VKNHWQ7WU1ArQagbY2P2NK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks