Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete-D, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I know you just wanted to whine about Abrams because of Star Trek but that comic book has nothing to do with him or his movie.

2. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Just a little facetiousness. Should have added a ;)

Too easy to rouse you fanboys.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I'm sure many of you saw the Collider interview with Bryan Burk:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-filming-2014-bryan-burk/

In it, he says filming is expected to begin early next year.

My question is this: If Burk (and Bad Robot) are producing Episode VII, does that mean Bad Robot will be producing VIII and IX too? Wouldn't it seem kind of odd to jettison one of the production companies responsible for Episode VII?

In the original trilogy, the directors other than Lucas didn't bring their own production companies on board (if they even had them). For those of us hoping the new trilogy echoed the original, having different directors sounded promising. Of course, it could be entirely too early to know any of this, but I'd be surprised if conversations haven't been had with regard to Bad Robot staying involved for the trilogy.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Osborne pays off Disney - SW VII to be shot in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10050750/George-Osborne-announces-new-Star-Wars-film-will-be-made-in-UK.html

5. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

New animated series, STAR WARS REBELS just announced:

www.starwars.com

6. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

If they wanted an animated series, why wouldn't they just keep The Clone Wars? :wacko:

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ Good question especially since alot of the same creative team is on this new show. After how good The Clone Wars was, I'm definitely interested in seeing what those guys do with some stories set between trilogies though.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  9. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I posted this in the Star Wars Music appreciation thread, but here's some more good news (as found on Darkhorizons.com):Talking with Zap2It, Williams said:"We’ve certainly talked about that, and I’m happy and willing to do it. J.J. Abrams, who will be the director, seems excited about the idea. I have to say that J.J. is a much younger man than I, but I will try to keep up with him as much as I can.""We now have the benefit of all this computer simulation and technical work that wasn’t even possible 20 or 25 years ago. I don’t know how hands-on George Lucas will be — I suspect he will be to some degree — but I can only imagine how excited he must be, to have a director like J.J. have all these tools at his fingertips to produce something even more adventurous technologically. I can’t wait to see what he will do with it."

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Some interesting comments by J.J. Abrams at the Produced By conference yesterday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jj-abrams-star-wars-plans-565077
    He also indicated he's not too happy about Lucasfilm's decision to film in London, as he's taken great pains to remain in L.A. for his films, but that filming will likely start early next year.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This press release from Disney will be the starting point that the marketing for EP VII will begin shortly and became unavoidable

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130618006829/en/Disney-Consumer-Products-Poised-Incremental-Retail-Sales

12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

From the article:

Last month, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Episode VII production would take place in the U.K., as with the saga's other films. The decision "really does make me insane," Abrams said.
    The director has shot all his previous films in Los Angeles, even covering some of the cost personally, he explained, to shoot Star Trek: Into Darkness locally.
    Abrams said the move to London would be quite an inconvenience for his wife and children.
    "When you're 13 and 14, it's like, f--k that, I don't care what the movie is," he joked.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If shooting a Star Wars movie is an inconvenience perhaps they picked the wrong director.
    If his family is a problem why bring them at all? Skype with them, enjoy your time abroad, and man up.
    I like Abrams and his body of work, but I don't like to hear comments like this. It makes him seem unprofessional, and going into filming with a negative attitude. I'm probably reading too much into it, but If I were him I wouldn't look at it as an "inconvenience", rather a once in a lifetime opportunity.

13. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Heaven forbid a filmmaker would think of his family first. A year is a long time to be away from your kids.

I don't think Abrams is being too serious in his remarks though. If it was that big a deal, he could get out of the gig if he really wanted to, right?

14. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    TheForce.net is reporting that the producers have now officially asked Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to lose weight in advance of shooting. I was aware that this would be a concern, and I certainly hope their involvement isn't predicated on reaching a certain weight. I also hope everyone involved understands how downright vicious some "fans" are going to be if they don't succeed. It's unlikely that very many of us will be able to attain the same shape in our 60s that we had in our 30s (not that I'm in great shape in my 30s! Lol)I'm wondering if they plan to use the original cast in all 3 movies or just the first. While it's possible they may be able to whip themselves into shape long enough to shoot one movie, it may not be realistic to expect them to maintain over the next 4 or 5 years. Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

There should be no reason why it can't be filmed in 2 months.
    Like I said though, I probably read too much into it. Going by his previous Comic-Con panels, Abrams does have a very blunt, and direct way of answering questions in interviews. I still think he is the best man for the job, I just hope he is 100% into it when he directs.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm guessing just the first one. I hope their screen time is as memorable as in the OT!

17. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    Remember the second Ewok movie? In literally the first 5 minutes they kill off the entire family from the first movie, except for the little girl. I worry a bit about the fate of the original cast in this movie :(Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think they'll all be killed off but Han Solo certainly seems like the character most likely to die. However, since it's well known that Harrison Ford wanted the character to die in Return Of The Jedi that may be exactly what keeps him alive and they'll go for a surprise death like Princess Leia.

On a more positive note, I look forward to grizzled old Luke Skywalker doing some crazy Jedi moves.

19. SilverWook

Bill
    I often refer to it as the Alien 3 of the Star Wars universe. :D

After the fan reaction to Chewie's death in one of the novels, (the author got death threats) I doubt Lucasfilm really wants to go through that again.

Stephen Brooks likes this.
  20. SilverWook

Bill
    How long did the prequels take to shoot? I can't see a Star Wars film as being a simple undertaking no matter how far technology has advanced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.