What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Favate said:
The movie would be delayed if Abrams left.
Might be good news for Paramount, for the fan base i would guess that depends on your views on whether he has been good for Star Trek or bad, i didn't mind the lens flares in Super 8 or the Trek films but i think they would be out of place in a Star Wars film so i hope he doesn't use them, i think this is just a rumour, i think he will be directing the new film.

http://uk.eonline.com/news/441720/j-j-abrams-not-leaving-stars-wars-7-says-lucasfilm?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=imdb_topstories

He isn't leaving.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
...i didn't mind the lens flares in Super 8 or the Trek films but i think they would be out of place in a Star Wars film so i hope he doesn't use them.
I still think he'll stick to the established look of Star Wars and drop the over abundance of lens flares (some of the other movies do have a few shots with lens flares). That being said, I'd bet the trailer will have at least few lens flare shots just to mess with people.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
My question is, is he going to insist on using 35mm? It's strange that the movie series that pretty much created digital cinema has now hired one of the last holdouts to shooting in digital. I'm sure Disney will want 3D but Abrams has never shot 3D or even digital. There certainly won't be time for any kind of quality conversion at the rate they're (not) progressing. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen Brooks said:
My question is, is he going to insist on using 35mm? It's strange that the movie series that pretty much created digital cinema has now hired one of the last holdouts to shooting in digital. I'm sure Disney will want 3D but Abrams has never shot 3D or even digital. There certainly won't be time for any kind of quality conversion at the rate they're (not) progressing.Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app
If going the 3D route then i would be very happy if they shot native 3D, i am not a fan of conversions no matter how good they may be.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John Williams confirmed as composer for Star Wars VIIwww. Deadline.com

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Deadline:
Disney brass thinks Star Wars is so important they went to Germany of all places this weekend for Star Wars Celebration, the global Star Wars fan convention that began in 1999 to celebrate the release of the first prequel. Today at the confab Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that composer John Williams will return for JJ Abrams‘ Star Wars: Episode VII after scoring all six previous films. Joining Mouse House execs in Essen, Germany are franchise stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Ian McDiarmid, Anthony Daniels, Jeremy Bulloch, Warwick Davis, and Peter Mayhew, flown in for a Return of the Jedi reunion. Disney is set to unveil more for fans stateside at next month’s D23 Expo in Anaheim.
Great news indeed. Couldn't imagine anyone else doing this.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if JJ tried to get Michael Giacchino for the music score and Disney put their foot down, perhaps the rumours of him leaving the directing job were correct, maybe JJ played hard ball over the composer and filming locations, Disney didn't budge on any of it and he backed down, whatever the case may be that is all just rumours and conjecture, i'm looking forward to the films more now i know John Williams is the composer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd hold on with the conspiracy theories :) because J.J. Abrams said that they wanted John Williams a few months ago. From The Hollywood Reporter on April 30, 2013:
But when the topic of the Star Wars score and composer John Williams' involvement in the new movie came up, Abrams was more than confident that Williams would be back.
"Again, for Star Wars, it’s very early days, but I believe that, going forward, John Williams will be doing that film because he was there long before I was," Abrams said.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jj-abrams-says-john-williams-449208

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm not the biggest fan of JW's prequel scores (he's my favorite composer, just disappointed in those scores) but they weren't dark movies so why would they require a dark score? I think he did an admirable job considering the boring source material and how Lucas butchered the scores in the editing room (the end battle of Ep. II was almost entirely tracked from Ep. I because Lucas kept re-editing). Lucas went from respecting film music with the original trilogy, which revived big orchestral scores, to almost acting like it was a burden in the prequel trilogy. JJ seems to have a high level of respect for film scores, especially orchestral scores, reminds me a lot of Speilberg's attitude towards music. There are plenty of moments in almost all of JJ's movies where he lets the music shine through. As long as he is involved I think JW's scores will be handled with much more respect then compared to the prequel trilogy. I also expect JJ to give the music more moments to shine and I bet he'll give JW better direction then Lucas did for the prequels.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chris Will said:
Lucas went from respecting film music with the original trilogy, which revived big orchestral scores, to almost acting like it was a burden in the prequel trilogy.
I disagree completely with your assessment here, the prequels have magnificent orchestral scores.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Say what you will about the movie itself, the score for Episode I was Williams' best work in years, and probably since. It was just similar enough to feel "Star Wars-y", and still managed to feel fresh and original. A fantastic piece of work. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I agree, Episode I is the best score of the prequels and the one I listen to the most. It was also the one that was the least hacked up during the editing of the film. Williams' may have written a great score for Episode II but, we haven't heard the score as he composed it because it was butchered during the editing of the film. I just think the way the movies were edited was a disservice for the scores and it showed in II and III. Of course, movies aren't made for the score so, it's just the score fan in me that is disgruntled (towards II and III).

I do fault Williams with a few things and that is how he abandoned his Episode I Anakin them in the next 2 movies. It's a great theme and I was looking forward to him developing it from the more young sounding kids theme to a mature theme as Anakin grew in the next movies but, that didn't happen. I really thought it was and opportunity lost. He also abandoned Duel of the Fates until the final moments of Episode III. 2 great themes that basically disappeared after the first film.

I disagree that Episode I was his last great score. I think A.I. is an incredible score that is vastly underrated. I also think that the first Harry Potter score is better then Episode I. I also think Indy IV is just as good as Episode I. I love the energy and excitement in the score for TinTin and, I thought Lincoln was the best score of 2012.

Speaking of Episode I, over the years I have come to respect the movie more. Even with all it's corniness, I think the tone, pacing and storytelling is the most similar to that of the original trilogy then either of the other prequel films. Episode I is the one that feels the most like "Star Wars" IMO, even though it could still do with a little less Jar Jar.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I actually think the Episode 3 score was his best of the prequels, with Episode 1 a close second. Great new themes mixed with the old.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Hmm didn't he develop the Anakin theme into the love theme for Attack of the Clones.I love all three of his prequel scores, but Sith for me was his most consistent

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Chris Will said:
Speaking of Episode I, over the years I have come to respect the movie more. Even with all it's corniness, I think the tone, pacing and storytelling is the most similar to that of the original trilogy then either of the other prequel films. Episode I is the one that feels the most like "Star Wars" IMO, even though it could still do with a little less Jar Jar.
I agree. I have always said that Episode I is better than Attack of the Clones. Attack of the Clones is probably one of the worst movies any human being has ever created. I truly deeply love you......no no, I mean it. My love goes way way down. inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks