What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 3- Remastered coming in November (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Nelson. They appear to be out of print (I assume when the remastered sets were released). My hope was the unsold previous season sets would drop as many people would be more interested in the newer sets, but that does not appear to be the case. From browsing (briefly) the other day, prices are not ridiculous (mainly in the same range as always had been $60-100 per set) but not all are necessarily “new” unused/open sets.

I guess I’ll start looking around a little deeper and see what (if any) deal can be found on them. Thanks again for the info.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
LIke Albert I waited for the release of the remastered seasons in hopes of catching TOS 2004 versions on the cheap but found they never dropped much below the list price. I finally gave in and picked up the set for around $100 but it appears they are getting much harder to find now. You may want to periodically check half.com.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good luck Albert! I'm sure you'll find those sets.

While I'm here, a few thoughts on Lights of Zetar Remastered. I always thought Scotty flipping out over Mira Romaine was a little over the top, but I can see they probably wanted to contrast and show how much they liked each other.

Here, I was more impressed with the CGI then the story. They did a pretty nice job of actually mixing digital work over the existing opticals where it wasn't possible to entirely remove them. When the phaser beam passes through the body of the lights of Zetar, it's much clearer on the DVD's then when they were broadcast last year. You can see they did a cool job of making the phaser beam distort as it's inside the body of the Zetarians.

I didn't see anything new on the Memory Alpha buildings on the asteroid.

Other things I noticed, as before, the Memory Alpha installation re-uses props and set pieces including the console that the Romulan Cloaking Device was mounted on and the Romulan Commander's computer from her quarters.

I am also seeing a lot of wear and tear on the sets. Walls that have scratches and scuffs! The diagnostic bed ends shows some wear. And you can still see what looks like a newspaper on the floor in the background during the last scene.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

LORD Garth!

Did you see the green make-up on Shatners hands?

A story was told that Craig was running her fingers in Shatners hair. Well she didnt know he wore a rug. And he was pissed that she got green paint in it.

I am sure they used the green light to help hide the fact the green rubbed off, and had areas that were not as green as others.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Master of the Universe!

Yes, I saw the green make-up on Shatner's hands. I agree, the green light gels helped make her look fully green!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I saw Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.

Some things that I found interesting, because of the clarity of the new discs, was that I paid more attention to the image quality. Before during the self destruction sequence, I always noticed the stains on the teeth of Doohan and Nimoy during the close-ups. This time, I could really see that of course, and what looks like tarter. I also could see so clearly the pores and skin texture! And on Frank Gorshin, you could see the line between the black and white make-up not being exactly straight, but you could see the natural skin color where the black and white make-up don't quite meet, slightly above his nose.

Made me think about the days of the 60's and how in those days, they probably didn't have the kind of dental care that we are used to today. I'm sure back then, insurance companies and dentists had not gotten the kinds of standardized yearly cleanings we have now.

Something else I had not noticed before, during the extended scenes when Bele and Lokai run down the halls, in order to make the one standing corridor set look different, they altered the ends. One end that usually has the turbo lift is not there. The other end that leads to the hanger deck, that end wall was angled.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have one episode to go before I complete viewing the Third season of the Remastered Trek, Turnabout Intruder.

As a total non sequitur, as I am about to rush out the door to MacWorld, I had a question in my head.

In TOS, the original 11 foot model of the Enterprise was painted a grey color. So the intent was the ship was painted, I believe. In the new CGI rework of TOS, after they settled down and got the CGI model of the Enterprise sorted out, the ship became metallic with many panels comprising the hull surface. It's quite consistent in the third season, more or less. What do you guys who have seen the Remastered Trek think? It became more of a inconsistent material use on ship hulls when the shuttle craft is seen on stage as in The Way to Eden and it's painted grey.

I guess from a visual perspective, they felt they needed to add the hull plating so the ship looks more real. The old CGI model in early rematered shows was a flat grey and they had not got the simple CGI model yet that allowed time to tweak the lighting they did on the later model, as a result the early model looked fake.

I just started to feel that I did not like the metallic look of the final model they used through out S2 and S3, but I'm okay with the hull plating.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I never cared for the metal look. I always liked the Saturn V paint job...if you ask me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I also dont like many of the angles they used on the CGI model. I think they should have stuck with angles that worked for TOS.
I know, they wanted to try new things. Didnt always work.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rick! Yes, I agree about some of the angles they chose. I thought a lot were successful. Some were okay, like the high angle looking down tended to make the ship look awkward and maybe gawky as in Where No Man Has Gone Before, or the extreme close-up shots as the ship passes by the camera.

Daren Dochterman did a very nice CGI version of the Enterprise that had hull plating, but it was not metallic looking.

I finished the third season yesterday with Turnabout Intruder and I can't believe that I actually saw every single episode of S3! I usually skip quite a few, Children, Wink, Gideon, Eden, Whom Gods, Battlefield and Spock's Brain. What was interesting about watching them all was to see them looking so sharp and clear for the most part! And the new CGI effects. What was odd is that some of the live action didn't always look great, similarly with S2. Don't know what it was, but I suspect it was the source material. Skin tone in some shots looked flat for example.

Of great interest was the Billy Blackburn home movies on the set of Star Trek. That's really well worth the cost for the fan of Trek. What is always funny is the way they do a portion that points out all the various shots Billy appears in besides sitting in Chekov's chair. He was one of the faces on the screen in Mark of Gideon when they look out to see all those people on the viewscreen! He did the black/white make-up test for Battlefield and so on! Fun stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks