What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
My discs came today. Thanks CBS! I also like the collector post card that they included with the discs along with an apology. Classy and from a PR perspective, spot on!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Replacement discs arrived, and I immediately popped disc 3 in. The audio glitches that annoyed me on "Hide and Q" have definitely been cleared up from what I can tell. CBS DVD has set a new standard for effectively handling replacement discs!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Got mine too. Despite the fact there was a problem on a majority of the discs in the set, I'm very impressed with the response by CBS on getting corrected discs out. Much appreciated.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping this hiccup of season 1 doesn't affect the release date for season 2. While no annoucement has been made, at Comic con It was was stated it was coming Q4 of this year.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jason_V said:
Got mine too.  Despite the fact there was a problem on a majority of the discs in the set, I'm very impressed with the response by CBS on getting corrected discs out.  Much appreciated.
Yes, having no problems is preferred, but making sure those that do show up are addressed in a timely manner and with as little inconvenience to the customer is a great response. Looking forward to season 2.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Anybody know when it will be safe for me to buy Season One with the new corrected discs in the package? And how will I be able to tell?
Peace,
DM

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Favate
Season 2 on Dec. 4:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-2-Blu-ray/17450
That great that they are releasing season 2 already. However, I'll have to wait until it goes below $70 like season 1 before making a purchase.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by smithb /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/120#post_3970533
That great that they are releasing season 2 already. However, I'll have to wait until it goes below $70 like season 1 before making a purchase.

And just like season 1, I would expect the retail price during release week to be $55-$60. Best Buy and Amazon both had the set at that price...so it shouldn't be too much of a wait for you!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm still carefully managing to parcel out about 1 episode per week from Season 1 to get me to December 4th so I can go straight into Season 2. It's tough, though, considering that the picture and sound quality amazes me on even the worst of episodes, making even those fun to watch.
It's also interesting to note that the season's quality of storytelling gets better as it goes on. The majority of the first dozen or so episodes are pretty weak, and if it wasn't for the gorgeous remastering, I probably would have skipped them entirely.
Season 2 looks like it has some great bonus features on it, particularly that roundtable discussion with the cast members, and the extended version (in HD, no less!) of "Measure of a Man". Some of my favorite episodes this season include "Where Silence Has Lease", "Elementary Dear Data", "A Matter of Honor", "Q Who" (my favorite Q episode second only to "Tapestry"), "The Emissary", and the aforementioned "Measure of a Man".
Between this and MANNIX Season 8 (now there's a double feature!), December 4th is going to be a very expensive day, but well worth it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Jeff*H /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/150#post_3970564
I'm still carefully managing to parcel out about 1 episode per week from Season 1 to get me to December 4th so I can go straight into Season 2. It's tough, though, considering that the picture and sound quality amazes me on even the worst of episodes, making even those fun to watch.
It's also interesting to note that the season's quality of storytelling gets better as it goes on. The majority of the first dozen or so episodes are pretty weak, and if it wasn't for the gorgeous remastering, I probably would have skipped them entirely.

I was doing that...until this past weekend. I think I did a massive marathon watch over 3 days of 12 episodes. There was something in me that needed to get to the second half of the year with the really quality episodes like Coming of Age and Heart of Glory. The only downside is there's only three episodes left in the season now.

I'm finding the same thing with TNG as I did with TOS on BD: there's something new or unexpected or worthy in every episode. Even if it is terribly minor, trivial or inconsequential. For instance, I've always really enjoyed 11001001 for the emergency evacuation, but I saw people running off the Enterprise via the maintenance hatch for the first time. I'm also noticing the black holsters for phasers and tricorders are velcroed on uniforms; in the same episode, Riker slaps his onto his hip.

And in Skin of Evil, someone drops a phaser into the Armus slick as Riker is going down. I think noticing that kind of stuff is priceless.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I haven't received my replacement discs yet, even though I ordered them the first day. Should I contact them again? Has everyone gotten theirs?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know when it will be safe for me to buy Season One with the new corrected discs in the package?
I could be wrong but I don't think they recalled the sets. If that's the case, the uncorrected sets will be in warehouses for months or maybe even years until they're all gone. It doesn't mean that the new ones won't be available but the chance of getting an uncorrected one will still exist.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
TravisR said:
I could be wrong but I don't think they recalled the sets. If that's the case, the uncorrected sets will be in warehouses for months or maybe even years until they're all gone. It doesn't mean that the new ones won't be available but the chance of getting an uncorrected one will still exist.
Travis its interesting that Amazon.com has pulled their sets. You can no longer buy TNG BD on amazon.com. Maybe they are getting corrected sets?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Dave Miller /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/150#post_3972721
Bump...

I understand wanting the corrected sets, but if you get the wrong one, the replacement program is super easy. For me, it was a matter of being able to watch immediately (and getting them at the first week discount price) versus waiting who know how long and paying regular price. YMMV, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Towergrove said:
Travis its interesting that Amazon.com has pulled their sets. You can no longer buy TNG BD on amazon.com. Maybe they are getting corrected sets?
I have no way to know but I'd guess the uncorrected discs is why it's listed as "item under review" at Amazon. I'm pretty sure that "under review" means that Amazon is looking into a problem that is being reported to them rather than that there's a recall on the set. Unless there's an official recall from Paramount, there's still no definitive way to know that you won't end up with an uncorrected disc. Even if Amazon sent back their entire uncorrected stock, Paramount could send them the same sets back again a month from now when Amazon needs to replenish their inventory.
Like Jason said, it seems much easier to get the replacement disc rather than waiting for who knows how long and still maybe getting the wrong disc.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Has anyone else not actually gotten their replacement discs yet?
I even e-mailed when everyone reported that theirs were showing up and was told "They should be there in a few days," but still nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks