What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Paramount+ Star Trek: Picard - Season Three (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m really looking forward to this season after the (imo) disaster that was season 2. It looks terrific from the one trailer I saw.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I already have my plan

Me too! Staying up until it is added to the service late Wednesday night. (For previous seasons that was usually about 2am.)

One of my wife’s birthday gifts to me this year is agreeing to drive the kids to school Thursday mornings (usually my responsibility) for the duration of the run so that I can actually stay up and see it first each week. She knows what this means to me and that’s a pretty awesome gift.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hmm… Now I don’t know what to expect.

C6FB2BD1-27EF-4CCF-90C5-1ECDF4931C76.jpeg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Me too! Staying up until it is added to the service late Wednesday night. (For previous seasons that was usually about 2am.)

One of my wife’s birthday gifts to me this year is agreeing to drive the kids to school Thursday mornings (usually my responsibility) for the duration of the run so that I can actually stay up and see it first each week. She knows what this means to me and that’s a pretty awesome gift.
What a great wife! And happy early birthday!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just a friendly request to please use spoilers for the next day or two. I won’t get to tune in until about 9 tomorrow night, but I know many of you will be tuned in earlier. Enjoy!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Since Sam brough it up, what is HTF policy on TV show spoilers? I always go back and forth on talking about shows the day after they debut…so Friday morning, in this case.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Since Sam brough it up, what is HTF policy on TV show spoilers? I always go back and forth on talking about shows the day after they debut…so Friday morning, in this case.
The normal policy is that once an episode airs on the East Coast of the US, it's fair game without spoiler tags.

On streaming shows that go live at midnight Pacific, though, we usually try to give people a day or two grace period.

That being said, I won't be back until I've seen the episode, just to be safe.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Historically for these overnight dropping Treks, if I see it when it first goes up I might post a vague impression but I make a point of not getting into details until people have had a chance to catch up.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Some personnel files from the the USS Titan-A on the official Star Trek Logs Instagram account. Mostly just recaps of what we already know, but there are some intriguing tidbits scattered throughout:

And a few starship profiles:

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great first episode!

Hell, I enjoyed that episode more than the entirety of season 2.

Lots of TNG call backs and definitely a theatrical feel reminiscent of TMP. And even a bit of Nemesis.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yes.

I think I could watch the end credits on a loop all day long and not get bored.

FANTASTIC music, too. Pretty much loved every second of it. One part had me really anxious...that is not something that actually happens in any form of media these days.

A few minor quibbles, but overall...what a start.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I am trying my best to not watch it on my iPad at work today. I need to experience this first on my TV, not a small tablet. But resistance is ....

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am trying my best to not watch it on my iPad at work today. I need to experience this first on my TV, not a small tablet. But resistance is ....
No!! Not on an iPad! ;)

This screams to be seen on the biggest screen possible. It really has that theatrical feel to it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Premiere went up at about 2:50am ET last night.

My initial reaction is that tonally and visually, it felt like more like another Next Generation film than another episode of Picard.

There wasn’t a trace of season one’s slower, more lyrical pace; the Michael Chabon literary influences have been stripped away.

Lots of visual and musical references to The Motion Picture and especially The Wrath of Khan.

These are observations, not complaints nor praise.

After the season 2 premiere last year, I posted here that while I liked that episode, I thought that based on that, many people were going to find that season challenging, and that more or less wound up being the case. After this premiere, I think a lot of people will feel “that’s more like it!” though I think some viewers who specifically love how Picard is different than TNG may find the change of approach to be jarring.

Looking forward to next week’s.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The couple "professional" reviews I've read have been pretty scathing, so I'm looking forward to hearing how people on this forum like it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After the season 2 premiere last year, I posted here that while I liked that episode, I thought that based on that, many people were going to find that season challenging, and that more or less wound up being the case. After this premiere, I think a lot of people will feel “that’s more like it!” though I think some viewers who specifically love how Picard is different than TNG may find the change of approach to be jarring.

This isn't a spoiler for anything...but I had the same kind of thought. TOS and Berman-era Trek were all bright: set lighting was bright, costumes stood out, the story was always hopeful.

This was followed through, largely, by the Kelvin-verse. It was BRIGHT...almost too bright, one might say. The bridge felt fluorescent in some ways, the costumes richly colored.

The Kurtzman-era of Trek is darker...again, in costumes, in set lightning and in stories. For sure, TOS and Berman-Trek could not do most of the stories the way Discovery, Strange New Worlds and Picard do them. They could touch on the themes, but the language and look? No. And I think that's really AOK. Sensibilities change, characters evolve, the universe goes in different directions.

This change even happened under Berman's watch, as we went from small screen TNG to Generations through Nemesis: each movie got toned down in color and lighting while the stories morphed into things the show would never touch. Again, that's AOK and allowed. I'm not arguing against it at all.

The 25th century is at a crossroads. So many wars, so many battles, so many incursions...Starfleet is morphing into something different. That happens.

I don't love the turn to the dark, but that is the way of television these days. And, let's be real, the aesthetics of Berman-Trek would not work today on any level, just like the aesthetic of TNG changed from Season 1 to the end of the series.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning for all of us to download our thoughts and see what we come up with.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One of the reviews I read was basically him struggling with / complaining about the turn to the dark.
I don't love the turn to the dark, but that is the way of television these days. And, let's be real, the aesthetics of Berman-Trek would not work today on any level, just like the aesthetic of TNG changed from Season 1 to the end of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks