What's new

Star Trek Into Darkness on iTunes out today (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You don't have to stream the digital copy or commentary version from iTunes. You can download them to your computer.

I just finished the enhanced commentary, and enjoyed it immensely. It featured the director, producers/writer, editors, composer, visual effects supervisors all talking over separate sequences. It paused frequently and rewound to illustrate a point. It featured picture-in-picture. It included drawing lines on the screen to emphasize sequences.

Yes, it requires an iTunes account, but I am one of the many people who have that already.

Thumbs up from me.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The point is that it's an unnecessary PITA. More hoops for consumers to jump through. No thanks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Remember when they were touting the new HD technology on disc? The picture quality will be super high and so will the sound quality. There'll be extras on the disc like making of docs and commentaries? All in one place! At least in one package.

Well, I guess it's back to the future, because now if I want to listen to the commentary, I've got to have it on my computer. Are they turning into rifftrack? If I want to see all the extras I have to buy several versions.

I'll pass.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Johnny Angell said:
Remember when they were touting the new HD technology on disc? The picture quality will be super high and so will the sound quality. There'll be extras on the disc like making of docs and commentaries? All in one place! At least in one package.

Well, I guess it's back to the future, because now if I want to listen to the commentary, I've got to have it on my computer. Are they turning into rifftrack? If I want to see all the extras I have to buy several versions.

I'll pass.
If you buy the Target version you will get all the extras. The iTunes version with the iTunes extras come with the discs.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wayne_j said:
If you buy the Target version you will get all the extras. The iTunes version with the iTunes extras come with the discs.
You do NOT get the Best Buy extras

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I read on this very forum that the Best Buy extras are the Target extras presented by way of the CinemaNow service, just not on disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve Tannehill said:
I read on this very forum that the Best Buy extras are the Target extras presented by way of the CinemaNow service, just not on disc.
Ahh. If true, I stand corrected.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
We'll only know when someone goes out and buys all three and reports back here. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve Tannehill said:
We'll only know when someone goes out and buys all three and reports back here. :)
Ha. And someone definitely will. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
From that site........Best Buy/CinemaNow release:Down With the Ship (6:09)NIF: Home of the Core (4:32)Safety First (2:26)Unlocking the Cut (5:10)The Sound of Music and FX (5:27)Aliens Encountered (6:50)Target release:The Voyage Begins... Again (2:29)Mr. Spock and Mr. Spock (4:15)Rebuilding the Enterprise (5:30)Vengeance is Coming (4:27)Kirk and Spock (5:34)Visual Affection (9:02)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I may have posted that I thought the extras were the same from Target and Best Buy, just different delivery systems. But yes, Trekcore did an excellent job breaking down all that is known for now. So we are now more well informed. I just realized, it will be kinda cool to watch the iTunes commentary on an iPad instead of the computer. This way, you aren't locked to the desktop. And stream to the TV too if that's your pleasure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nelson Au said:
Steve, I may have posted that I thought the extras were the same from Target and Best Buy, just different delivery systems. But yes, Trekcore did an excellent job breaking down all that is known for now. So we are now more well informed. I just realized, it will be kinda cool to watch the iTunes commentary on an iPad instead of the computer. This way, you aren't locked to the desktop. And stream to the TV too if that's your pleasure.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can watch the commentary on an iPad. Can you?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
No, you can not watch the commentary on an iDevice. It has to be a computer screen, via an HDMI cable, or via AirPlay to an AppleTV.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve. I have an Apple TV but I don't have an option in iTunes on my PC to AirPlay iTunes extras. Is there a different way to do this?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm definitely going with the standard 2D release and will pass on any "super deluxe" double grabs there will be in the future. I liked the movie and will be happy with whatever limited extras I get from Amazon.

Note to Paramount: I would have paid more for an add-on disc with the video commentary.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Tino, you need a program like AirParrot to stream AirPlay to your AppleTV.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just watched the commentary on my Apple TV via airplay from my PC. Start the iTunes extras and select the commentary. On the controls hit the airplay button and select your Apple TV. Audio and Video should stop playing on your PC and will be playing on your Apple TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks