Star Trek: Enterprise 10/15/'03: "exile"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rex Bachmann, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode title: "Exile"
    episode: #58
    original airdate: October 15, 2003
    writer: Phyllis Strong
    director: Roxanne Dawson
    synopsis: "The crew is presented with an interesting proposition: an alien named Tarquin will use his telepathic powers in their battle against the Xindi. But Tarquin has a mysterious motive...."

Hoshi's got something to do. Yeay! Maybe she can get the translation-thing down to not being so "Hollywood".

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

This one's being broadcast in hi-def (at least by Philly's UPN57), so I'm checking it out. The show itself has been a clunker though. If it were half as good as TNG or DS9, I'd watch regularly.

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Who's Hoshi?

[​IMG]

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Or half as long. If this was a 1/2 hour program, I probably could deal with it [​IMG] It would eliminate a lot of what has become basically padding.. I think they should take a look at some of the Star Trek: Animated Series eps [​IMG]

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Or half as dressed. Oh. Waitaminute...

[​IMG]

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Well hey, that was a pretty good episode. Good character episode.

I'm sure Rex will have a fit over Hoshi translating a book "just like that". [​IMG]

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Tho a little predictable, it was a well executed episode. Probably one of the better ones this season. A solid B.

A bit disappointed, tho, that they kinda gave the threat to Enterprise away in the promos. It wasn't needed, and you were just waiting for that move to happen...

Jason

10. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

At first it almost felt like another Hoshi and her fears causes her to see things again episode, but it took off into a much better episode. Reminesent of the very best TOS dealing with lonely characters.

So is Hoshi born with telepathic powers or was she just an innocent that the alien felt he was able to make a connection with. I am opting for the later, based on the sequence when he lets her try the device that helps extend his range of telepathic powers, for lack of a better definition. I think he may or may not have the power to “see” things and to telepathically project images he wants. But that device I believe gave him the ability to see and communicate with others.

The gothic feel of the Exile planet felt like an Outer Limits episode. And the idea of the exiled being there felt very 1960’s Outer Limits, from story line to execution of the exiled Alien make up design. All it needed was a more Noir-ish cinematography style. The story with the exile was also rather engaging I thought. What were his mysterious motives, was he really going to be so altruistic? The ending was rather “sweet”. Nice they did not take the “blast ‘em to get Hoshi back” route and rather Hoshi was able to outwit the exiled Alien. And they parted at least with non-antagonistic feelings. The gifts he gives to Hoshi was the sweet part, the book and the final gift to her.

I was amused Tripp went to a lot of trouble to repaint the Pod’s name and graphics after the Trellium D coating. The sequence on the sphere was a waste of time, it was there mostly for visual fun. Hoshi's story was much more interesting, though we now know that the Expanse is a great big booby trap.

Again, while great visual effects does not make a show great, the effects here were great in that they continue to try harder and show more dynamic angles and views from the new fly-by of Enterprise to the top down view of the shuttlepod exiting the launch bay to the very well realized home on the mountain side of the exiled alien. And great music score again. I’m glad the generic music from the Next Gen/Voyager days is over.

12. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Decent take on Beauty and the Beast. Ironic that this week Archer should leave someone behind who requested it, after last week when he refused to dump T'Pol...

13. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

The hi-def broadcast was quite good. The Dolby Digital 2.0 audio was okay. The makeup looked more fake cuz of the added detail. The show looked very movie-like. I haven't watched 'Enterprise' in a while & I must say it's still ho-hum.

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

15. Joseph Howard

Joseph Howard Stunt Coordinator

You can bet the "book written by a long dead
    civlization" is going to come back when they begin
    to unravel "who built the spheres." Plus, Hoshi must
    have some kind of esp to translate written language
    with out a baseline context to begin that translation.

Oh, and a bit on the mathematics...I think you would
    need a reading from a third sphere before you could
    really begin the map out the other 58 of them.

I am, however, liking this season's episodes a whole
    lot better than the previous years.

Dr. Joe

16. Lawrence Stowbunenko

Did anyone else get a flashback from TOS? I kept expecting Hoshi to smash the orb and have everything disappear with just a strange sounding bug creature dying in the dirt. [​IMG]

And as long as we're pointing out technical faux pas, did anyone else have a problem with Trip and the captain just standing on the orb looking dumbstruck when the pod came crashing to their feet? Was it a macho game of "Chicken", or did their grav-boots malfunction?

17. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Nelson Au wrote (post #):

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

She said the language was similar to another she'd studied. So I think the equivalent was to how in our world if you've studied Latin you have a pretty good shot at being able to understand the gist of German or French.

And Rex, this isn't one of the CSICOP rallies where people in 1970s courdoroy jackets knock ESP, but if you persist, I might persist too.

Extra sensory perception is already firmly in place in Trek. In Trek, the Vulcans use this all the time, and the Betazoids, the Remans, and Picard and Beverly too in that Next Gen episode, to name but a few episodes. Over 60% of the United States believes it exists in real life too, mainly since families and loved ones experience it.

And the use of a crystal to amplify power is also a pretty firm part of Trek, what with dilithium crystals accentuating the matter/antimatter reactions, and, besides that, it is also firmly part of the real world's cultural lore as well (and they can be used in radios too, so it isn't as if the concept behind the belief is not based in reality).

Anyhow, you're getting crystals confused with crystal balls - a crystal ball despite the name is usually just glass, used for "scrying" (same as mirrors or water has been used) which is just a fancy word for using distorted or abstract imagery to get the mind's attention off of the material world and have it instead enter an altered state of mind which shamanic traditions say is neccesary to perceive things of a spiritual nature. A crystal ball is usually just glass. What the alien was using was not a crystal ball, it was a crystal.

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve