What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
After the mediocrity of the first reboot and the absolute stupidity of STID, I actually have a little hope for this one was as well. After all, it can only go up. Short action teaser is typical. Let's hope there is substance behind the glitter. In any event , I am keeping my expectations low.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Well, at least we have something to kvetch about now? :lol:

Not crazy about the big E being shot to pieces again, but the idea of the crew having to survive without her far from friendly territory is interesting. And nice Spock/McCoy moment.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The music in that trailer makes the trailer almost unwatchable! Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Star Trek 3 better sound like Star Trek, not like that mess I just listened to!

Mark

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not too promising BUT Id rather have a solid film and a lousy trailer then an awesome teaser that is better than the film.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
SamT said:

Didn't like that shot of Scotty jumping out of the pod but mixed feelings about the trailer overall. The Aliens look interesting, really like the bit with McCoy and Spock but it comes across as a generic action movie with ST characters.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Same song young Kirk was listening to in first film as youth driving stolen car. Looks different that's for sure.
Yeah, if the newer Trek films teach me anything it's that Kirk LOVES the Beastie Boys. 'Sabotage', in the 2009 film, and Star Trek Beyond, and 'Body Movin' from Into Darkness.
I think the trailer looks great...but I like the Beastie Boys(I miss them:( R.I.P. MCA) so the music is a non issue with me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer again on a screen larger then my phone. [emoji4]. One thing I liked, the transporter effect is more in line with the original series. While I liked the scratchy lines effect from the 2009 film, maybe the transporter effect is a good sign.

Enterprise definitely looks like it's met the Doomsday Machine.

About the deepest thing in The Fast and Furious films is this theme of family amongst Dominic's crew. If Justin Lin was responsible for making that theme a central theme for the F&F film series, and he is really a fan of TOS as he's said, then maybe he's found some themes to hang onto in this new crew of the Enterprise. Perhaps he influenced the writers.

This is all just conjecture. We'll see this summer.

And yes, I see now what looks like scenes of destruction on Earth again. [emoji19]

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Bryan^H said:
Yeah, if the newer Trek films teach me anything it's that Kirk LOVES the Beastie Boys. 'Sabotage', in the 2009 film, and Star Trek Beyond, and 'Body Movin' from Into Darkness.
I think the trailer looks great...but I like the Beastie Boys(I miss them:( R.I.P. MCA) so the music is a non issue with me.
After decades of Star Trek characters that are into classical music to the exclusion of all else, I find Kirk's love of the Beastie Boys a breath of fresh air. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
After decades of Star Trek characters that are into classical music to the exclusion of all else, I find Kirk's love of the Beastie Boys a breath of fresh air. :)
well, for the teen crowd the studio is pushing for the Beastie Boys are classical music :D

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm going to watch the Enterprise drydock sequence from Star Trek—The Motion Picture set to "Sabotage." I'm curious to see which body part I hack off first.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Crap trailer, but who knows what the movie will end up being like. Trailers these days often don't represent the film in any way, shape, or form, so my hope lies in that.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I can get past the music (even though I was never a Beastie Boys fan - and they were big during my college years), but what I'm not sure of it the motorcycle jump.

Kind of brings back bad memories of the dune buggy in Nemesis.

I guess it's to remind us that Kirk rode a bike in the '09 Star Trek.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Oliver Ravencrest said:
...it comes across as a generic action movie with ST characters.

Yes, it's not teasing me very well. Here's hoping the trailer is very deceptive.

---------------

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Joel Fontenot said:
I can get past the music (even though I was never a Beastie Boys fan - and they were big during my college years), but what I'm not sure of it the motorcycle jump.

Kind of brings back bad memories of the dune buggy in Nemesis.

I guess it's to remind us that Kirk rode a bike in the '09 Star Trek.
I just now realized Kirk is a better driver in this timeline. If they ever get to that 1920's gangster planet from A Piece Of The Action, Spock has nothing to fear. ;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
SilverWook said:
I just now realized Kirk is a better driver in this timeline. If they ever get to that 1920's gangster planet from A Piece Of The Action, Spock has nothing to fear. ;)
Ha! You beat me to my post! I was going to suggest they use this episode for the story of the next film!

Too funny!!

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Nelson Au said:
Saw the trailer again on a screen larger then my phone. [emoji4]. One thing I liked, the transporter effect is more in line with the original series. While I liked the scratchy lines effect from the 2009 film, maybe the transporter effect is a good sign.

Enterprise definitely looks like it's met the Doomsday Machine.

About the deepest thing in The Fast and Furious films is this theme of family amongst Dominic's crew. If Justin Lin was responsible for making that theme a central theme for the F&F film series, and he is really a fan of TOS as he's said, then maybe he's found some themes to hang onto in this new crew of the Enterprise. Perhaps he influenced the writers.

This is all just conjecture. We'll see this summer.

And yes, I see now what looks like scenes of destruction on Earth again. [emoji19]
Everybody cites the transporter, but this is almost certainly an alien transporter, so of course the look would be different, it always is.

I absolutely hate the 09 transporter (along with most of the other fx), but this one's ship stuff looks disappointingly JUST Like the ship stuff in the last two, very gauzy, so I think DNEG must be matching to ILM's work rather than delivering the kind of look I'd hoped for from them ... you know, SPACE, where it is crystal clear and very highcontrast when sun is out.

Having read director's comments, have genuine high hopes for this film, as it may well have an antagonist of ethical stature, somebody who can call into question how good the good guys really are.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I keep forgetting Simon Pegg is the main writer on this. I heard he is a huge Star Trek fan so that is good. However I did see one movies he wrote 'Paul'

and
I would have walked out of the theater had I not been there with my friend. Abysmal.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-beyond-criticisms/

Some key quotes (that would be good for fans to remember this early)

On the complaint that this looks like Fast & Furious in Space
"Yeah, and I don’t know if that’s the case here. When I saw the teaser, I’m like, aw shit. You really have to put the motorcycle in there? So I get it, I get it, I get it."

One some of the reaction to the trailer:
“Well, its a minute and a half, you know… And again, there were other versions that were much more traditional and I can see where maybe the hardcore fans could probably see that as, “Oh.” But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half…”

On his experience with Trek:
“The one thing that was when I came on this [film project], I didn’t even realize how emotional my level of engagement with Trek was until the first day of preproduction when I walked into the hallway of the Enterprise and it hit me. It’s part of me but my level of engagement with Trek was really from 8 to 18, when I would watch Trek at 11 PM on channel 13 with my dad. He worked all day, closed shop at 9 PM and dinner at 10 and watched Trek. And so a lot of that is trying to create something that embraces the essence of Trek for me.”

On the set-up for Star Trek Beyond’s story:
“I wanted to hopefully create an opportunity or a situation where we can really see how they react to things and to each other. Those are things in all the years of watching Trek, we had hundreds of hours with the movies and stuff, in this timeline, I wanted to hopefully create something where we can be on the five-year mission, we can hopefully explore and introduce new species and put them in situations where it hopefully then mirrors back on the exploration of humanity — I think that’s important.”

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-beyond-criticisms/

Some key quotes (that would be good for fans to remember this early)

On the complaint that this looks like Fast & Furious in Space
"Yeah, and I don’t know if that’s the case here. When I saw the teaser, I’m like, aw shit. You really have to put the motorcycle in there? So I get it, I get it, I get it."
One some of the reaction to the trailer:
“Well, its a minute and a half, you know… And again, there were other versions that were much more traditional and I can see where maybe the hardcore fans could probably see that as, “Oh.” But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half…”

On his experience with Trek:
“The one thing that was when I came on this [film project], I didn’t even realize how emotional my level of engagement with Trek was until the first day of preproduction when I walked into the hallway of the Enterprise and it hit me. It’s part of me but my level of engagement with Trek was really from 8 to 18, when I would watch Trek at 11 PM on channel 13 with my dad. He worked all day, closed shop at 9 PM and dinner at 10 and watched Trek. And so a lot of that is trying to create something that embraces the essence of Trek for me.”
On the set-up for Star Trek Beyond’s story:
“I wanted to hopefully create an opportunity or a situation where we can really see how they react to things and to each other. Those are things in all the years of watching Trek, we had hundreds of hours with the movies and stuff, in this timeline, I wanted to hopefully create something where we can be on the five-year mission, we can hopefully explore and introduce new species and put them in situations where it hopefully then mirrors back on the exploration of humanity — I think that’s important.”
Thanks for posting this!!
I am looking forward to the film in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks