What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Sam Favate said:
I can't decide whether that's a good idea. On one hand, it gives the trailer a very big audience. On the other, it invites comparisons to Star Wars and Star Wars fans have, I think, largely been hostile to Star Trek.

Not to mention that J.J. Abrams directed the first 2 movies of the rebooted Star Trek franchise. So, I am not surprised at all.

Actually I was expecting it.

Joel Fontenot said:
Well, this Star Trek fan is also a Star Wars fan, and so are my wife and son. So, it won't bother me.

Those that will bicker between the two franchises are going to keep doing that no matter what. As far as I'm concerned, they can continue their pissing contests all they want.

I am a fan of both as well. I don't understand the direct comparisons. I am entertained by both, and am looking forward to more of the two.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here is the trailer - it's a foreign trailer, so let's hope (really hope) that the music in this is just for the foreign market and isn't in the actual trailer or the actual movie.

https://vid.me/uQdX

Also, a motorcycle? Oh no.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Patrick-Stewart-Star-Trek.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Oh no, the music is the same (as the foreign trailer). That, the motorcycle and the evil-looking aliens are not good omens. And do we see the Enterprise get blown up again?

This trailer (and probably the movie) is designed to appeal to non-Trek fans, which shows that Paramount has not learned the lesson of the successful franchises (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.), which is to honor the fans and what they want to see first, and the larger audience will come.

One can only hope someone who understands Star Trek will be in charge by the time the new series premieres.

The music alone makes that trailer one of the worst things I've ever seen labeled "Star Trek."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is a Justin Lin film. So it will not have the same JJ style.

It not taking place on Earth. It is in deep space. The Enterprise does appear to be destroyed once again.

Maybe they will rebuild her into a nicer respectable starship design.

This is quite a teaser trailer. I agree that it's aimed at a general non Star Trek fan audience.

As you know I'm a die hard TOS fan and never liked the JJ films. But I'm willing to check this one out as I've checked out the first two of this new JJverse. It might actually be fun. But it could be empty calories too. Two many unknowns here to pass judgement yet. A new director, a new set of writers and a studio who doesn't want a movie that's so Star Trek-y.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You know every time somebody complains about how new Trek doesn't "get" old Trek I can't help but think of this...

That being said, this trailer was absolutely awful.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Chris Will said:
Looked like some of it was on Earth, wasn't there at least one shot of cadets running from Starfleet academy... again.
Some believe that is the opener, with YORKTOWN being made to crash on Earth or some Starfleet facility, prompting the Enterprise mission, which crashes 'out there.'

Having different races come together against a common threat is a good trek theme, so it'll be about execution for me, though I HATE that they still don't understand the ship is a character and needs to have something other than rape happen to it each time out. What ever happened to 'treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home' anyway? 'treat her like a whore and the whole crew winds up as the face on the barroom floor?'

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I enjoyed the first Reboot, although I hated changing the timeline etc, the second film was crap, the third I'll hold judgment but it looks along the same lines, now its possible that the storylines will at least try to hold to some of the moral underpinnings the series had, we'll see, but I'm not hopeful. It looks like Paramounts edict to make Star Trek Like Guardians of the galaxy came true. JJ Abrahms does not get trek, lets hope he gets Star Wars

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Music gaffe aside, I quite enjoyed the trailer and the Spock/McCoy moment felt very classic.

Feeling better about this than I did about STID.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks