What's new

Specific Toshiba Questions (1 Viewer)

ColinW

Agent
I am considering buying a new HDTV. I currently use an RCA MM36100 4x3 monitor which has been an excellent set for television/DVD and gaming.

I am looking to purchase a 16x9 model and I have seen a Toshiba 57hd82 in action and I was quite impressed with both the DVD loop and the satellite image.

1) What is the difference between the 57hdx82 and the 57hd82?

2) How far back should I sit for the optimum viewing distance from the screen?

3) What other TVs in the price range of the Tosh should I be considering?

Thanks for all of your help.

Colin

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Colin,

You cant go wrong with either, there isnt really much of a difference between the 2 of them. Also consider the Panasonics and Sonys. Id add the Mits but you cant get them in Canada.

BTW, I get up your direction quite often.

Regards

Gregg

ColinW

Agent
Thanks Gregg. I am mainly looking at those two because that is what I have seen locally.

What model of Sony or Panny would you suggest is similar. I am thinking something in the size of 57" would be my max, although I am sure it would be easy enough to push me into a larger model!!

Once I have the screen in place and ready to roll I will probably contact you to swing in and calibrate it on your way through town next time. Have you ever done any work in Saint John, NB?

Jeff Richardson

Auditioning
> What is the difference between the 57hdx82 and the 57hd82?

I looked at this myself a few weeks ago and here's what I determined. (1) The HDX model adds a DVI connector, something that you probably won't need today but may want to have in the future. (2) The HDX has a slightly better lens technology which might make for a better picture. (3) The HDX has a better anti-glare filter. (4) The HDX has better contrast. (5) The HDX has slightly better sound, using SRS WOW instead of just SRS 3D -- although this is irrelevant if you will be attaching 5.1 speakers anyway. I'm sure there are some other small differences as well.

The retail price of the HDX is $300 more, but I found that in my market (New Orleans) different stores offered them for the same price ($2800), so there was no reason not to opt for the HDX. Plus, I was lucky to catch a sale and get the 57HDX82 for only $2500.

-Jeff

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Sony makes a 57 inch, im pretty sure the Panny is a 56" (or is it a 53? -- its too late for me right now :) )

My wife's grandmother lives in Saint John but Ive never stopped to do a calibration there though. Ive done a few in Halifax though. Most of my work has come from more heavily populated areas - Boston - NJ - LA.

Let me know,

Gregg

ColinW

Agent
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Gregg - I will be in touch when the new TVis purchased and we can coordinate a trip. I am not sure exactly when I wil be adding this to my theatre, but it shouldn't be too far off! I am just doing the research now!

I don't know how many people have widescreen TVs around here, let alone any that take the time and expense to calibrate them correctly!

Thanks,
COlin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks