What's new

Speakers suggestions to go with an Onkyo 696 (1 Viewer)

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping to spend around 1k (looks like it will cost me more though) for a speaker set up for my Onkyo 696.
So far, I am leaning towards the Boston Acoustics 10k series with the PV800 sub, but I would like some more suggestions. These are a little heavy on price since most of the dealers try to stay at MSRP...
Thanks everyone.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Head

Second Unit
I suggest you take a look at PSB Image speakers . I have an Onkyo 696 and these speakers sound fantasic with it. They are very efficient (91-92db) and have a wide, clear soundstage.
You could get one of the following combinations for about $1K:
3LR / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
4T / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
1B /8C / 1B / Adire Audio Rava subwoofer
If you have an old reciever that you could use as an amp, you could get an SVS Subwoofer (25-31CS or 20-39CS) instead of the Adire Audio Rava.
I'm not sure if you have a PSB dealer in your area, but you can check here .
David

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion David.. I'll look into them.
Anyone else?.. Trying to keep it under 1k if poss...
wink.gif

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
A $1K limit restricts your choices quite a bit, but there are several options. The Bostons you mentioned are pretty nice in that price range. You might also take a look at a couple of Paradigm configurations. I am sure you could get 4 Atoms, a CC-70 and a PDR-10 for under $1K.
Another option would be to get a pair of decent bookeshelf speakers now, with the intention of later moving them to the rear, when you can afford a better set of front speakers. Perhaps a pair of Monitor 3's and maybe a CC-370 center? Later, you could get a pari of Monitor 9's for fronts, move the M-3's to the rear and add a sub. That would give you a much better speaker system in the long run. Of course, the same strategy is valid for other manufacturers.
------------------
Dan

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Save another $100 or so and get the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub.
You could go with wood nOrh 4.0 mains and center and 3.0 surrounds with an Adire Audio Rava sub. That should run you just over $1,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks