What's new

Speaker type and placement on a new construction - plz guide (1 Viewer)

smuggymba

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hello All, I'm the process of building my new home and was asked by the builder about speaker placements: All these rooms below get pre-wired for 2 speakers: Dining Room Master Bedroom Game Room Back Patio I need to tell the builder whether to Mount prewire on Wall or In-Ceiling and whether they will be Recessed Speakers or Bracket Mount? I need to know the exact same thing for a family room (20 X 18) and media room (14 X 22) but these rooms will have surround 5.1. What should be the speaker location in that case alongwith the subwoofer? Do you guys need the layout/plan to recommend better? The media room will be my dedicated area, all other rooms will have music and radio playing and but I still like good quality. Media Room - Should I use wall mount on the front and in-wall at the back so that they don't interfere with the seating? Are recessed speakers bad in quality because of the loss since they're open at the back? Please guide and help. Thanks in advance.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I need to tell the builder whether to Mount prewire on Wall or In-Ceiling
In-ceiling is the least desirable. On wall is better but not the best. Free standing, conventional speakers will give you the best sound.
whether they will be Recessed Speakers or Bracket Mount?
I'm not sure what you mean by bracket mount.
What should be the speaker location in that case alongwith the subwoofer?
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html
Are recessed speakers bad in quality because of the loss since they're open at the back?
Not really. They aren't the greatest quality because no company wants to invest in speakers that have a very small market.

smuggymba

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Thanks Robert J. At what height should I place the speaker outlets. The house is still under construction and I want a combination of aesthetics and performance. I'm concerned about a big bookshelf speaker being right behind the couch - will this be an issue? My room is 14 X 22.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your tweeters should be ear level when seated. I have stands and I'm headed towards a full 7.1 tower system so all of my outlets are at the same level as an electrical outlet.
these rooms will have surround 5.1.
I'm concerned about a big bookshelf speaker being right behind the couch
Did you look at the 5.1 layout on the Dolby site? You have side surrounds in 5.1. You add rear surrounds for 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks