Speaker repair/reconditioning in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by rayman1701, Jun 13, 2011.

1. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller
    I've got a pair of Infinity SM-150's that I've had since 1989, that are my main speakers. They were my first big stereo purchase and they have a lot of sentimental value for me. They still sound really good most of the time, but I think that the caps on the crossover have just about dried out. If they are at a very low volume for a while they get a little hissy in the treble. If I turn them up for a while it evens out a bit or if I turn the "volume" controls for the highs or mids on the speakers (yes there were adjustments actually on the speakers for highs & mids) the treble kinda cuts out a bit then comes back. Like the switch is going bad or the crossver is starting to go. So I was wondering if anyone would know of a place in Chicago, preferably southside suburbs, that has a good reputation for reconditioning speakers, especially Infinity.

Thanks

Ray

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Pull the crossover out and replace them yourself. You can get replacement caps from Parts Express.

3. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller
    Not really something I feel comfortable doing. I know there are probably instructions on the net and/or people here that could help, health issues makes it a moot point. Anyway, I found a good place and they are a certified Infinity repair center as well. Now for the fun of getting them there.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you were local, I would have done it for beer. Not at the same time because beer and solder do not mix.

5. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller

Very wise words indeed!