What's new

Speaker Cable for Denon 3803 / Mirage Omni (1 Viewer)

Chris_D_A

Auditioning
I searched and searched and couldn't find much at all on this entire forum about speaker cables! I *must* have been choosing poor search terms or something... but "speaker cable" and "speaker wire" returned very little. :/

In any event, I need some help. I am buying a Denon 3803 receiver and Mirage Omni 260 x 2, OmniSAT x 2, and Omni CC from Tweeter this weekend. I just got my SVS 20-39PC+ in the mail.

I need help selecting speaker cables. Tweeter is pushing some insanely pricey monster cables that are frankly scaring the crap out of me. I know cable is an important component, but what is an appropriate price? I've heard 10-15% of your HT will be spent on cable. My setup is costing around $3700, so should I be spending roughly $500 on speaker cable?

I'm in the process of reading reviews out on the web right now, but I am having a hard time determining which cables might be overkill for the hardware I am buying.

Could any of you please recommend a make / model of cable which you think is proportional in grade to my components? What would be a good match for me?

-Chris

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Lord, there's no need to spend that. Yes, speaker wire is important but let's not elevate this to the status of a wine!

Since you're not running any speakers that have a very low impedance drop above say 10 kHz, and you're not running insanely long lengths, I'd say 12 gauge will be more than adequate to transfer your signal without any audible degradation. As to how much you want to spend for that...well it can be a little or a lot. You can get 12 gauge with a clear PVC sheath at a variety of places...Home Depot, Lowes, RS, partsexpress (Soundking, Phoenix)...it doesn't matter. For an interesting twist on this, consider Knukonceptz, with a very attractive blue PVC insulation. In any event, well under $1/foot. Consider buying a little more than you need and picking up spades, bananas, whatever you want to use to connect your system.

Yeah, I know you've read reviews, read theories, read this testimonial and that one. In the end there's yet to be a controlled listening test where one person has been successfully able to differentiate one wire from another provided the lengths and gauges are similar.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I had the same problem as you.

Here's the thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=149607

You and I got the same receiver, same sub, and same brand of speakers, at the same store, and we got dealt the same crap about wires and cables.

The cables n' stuff I ended up buying after lengthy consultation and research:
100' of 12g Sound King speaker wire @ partsexpress.com: $35
10 Dayton Audio banana plugs @ partsexpress.com: $18
3 3' component video cables @ bluejeancables.com $110
1 12' subwoofer cable @ bluejeancables.com $22
1 3' digital audio cable @ bluejeancables.com $12
1 3' RF cable @ bluejeancables.com $12

Saving about $900 compared to what Tweeter was trying to sell me: priceless

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with the rest of the guys.

Home Depot bulk 12 GA wire is the way to go.

Monster is insanley overpriced. there was a post a while ago about the marketing sales bonuses etc Monster gives. The product is pushed not becuase it is "better" but becuse sales people make $ for selling it.

The only place you MAY spend a bit more is on component Vido cables. Not tons of money but many feel you can see a diference between a really cheap cable and a decent Acoustic Reasearch etc cable.

Plus for speakers making your own cables is not only fun but you get them the perfect length. No more no less than what YOU want.

Chris_D_A

Auditioning
I'm stunned at how quickly I've received such applicable information. This forum hasn't failed me yet. :)

After reading your thread, Shane, I've come to the same conclusions as you have and ordered similar stuff.

I got two 100' spools of SoundKing 12g (I need the other footage for other applications)

I got bluejeanscable's recommended subwoofer cable, but a 25' length instead for more placement flexibility

Got some banana plugs that are likely the same

And got some mid-priced optical audio cable from a brand I never heard of but wager it won't make a huge difference :D

I'm excited to hear from so many people that such expensive cable is not recommended for my hardware.

I'm pumped!!

-CHris

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's not just your hardware, it's probably 99% of the stuff out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks