What's new

Spartacus - World premiere restoration at TCM Festival 2015 (2 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Joe Kidd and The War Wagon all look very good too, although the sound was slightly out of synch on Two Mules.

Rooster Cogburn with Wayne and Hepburn looks gorgeous too.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Andrew Budgell said:
The initial slate of films for next year's TCM Classic Film Festival was announced, and a 55th anniversary world premiere restoration of Spartacus in collaboration with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment was included. Could a new Blu-ray be far behind?

I'm confused. Wasn't SPARTACUS already restored with great fanfare in the 1990s, with Tony Curtis called back to redub a cut scene (with Anthony Hopkins doing Olivier's voice) and given a substantial theatrical release? I remember seeing it at the Ziegfeld in Manhattan, IIRC.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Vic Pardo said:
I'm confused. Wasn't SPARTACUS already restored with great fanfare in the 1990s, with Tony Curtis called back to redub a cut scene (with Anthony Hopkins doing Olivier's voice) and given a substantial theatrical release? I remember seeing it at the Ziegfeld in Manhattan, IIRC.
You're correct, but the video transfer by Universal of HTF member Robert Harris' restoration 20 years ago was botched badly and is considered unacceptable by today's standards...the situation here is similar to what was done with Mr. Harris' 1994 30th Anniversary restoration of "My Fair Lady" on blu-ray 3+years ago...if you are aware, he's currently upgrading his restoration work for the film's 50th Anniversary and a blu-ray for THAT is forthcoming as well!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think I read that this was pulled from the festival.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ken Koc said:
What happened with SPARTACUS that it was pulled from the festival?

I guess it will simply be a case of Spartacus not being ready in time for the festival.

There were much longer delays for Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia so I am not surprised.

Nothing to worry about as long as they get it right this time.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Since it was advertised as the 55th Anniversary Restoration, I think there is no doubt we will see this released not too far off. Any insider info would be welcome though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks