What's new

New restoration of GIANT (1956) to premiere at the 2022 TCM Film Festival (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Opening night film is not going to be "Giant". It was announced that the opening night film will be "ET". Steven Spielberg will be in attendance.

STEVEN SPIELBERG, KATHLEEN KENNEDY AND FRANK MARSHALL IN ATTENDANCE

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will kick off the 13th annual TCM Classic Film Festival on Thursday, April 21st with a 40th anniversary screening of the beloved family sci-fi film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), from Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment, with Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg in attendance along with Academy Award®-nominated producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall.

“I was 15 years old when E.T. came out and what was true then remains so today; the film continues to speak to both children and adults. And it’s fair to say that this is the most influential family film since The Wizard of Oz,” said Ben Mankiewicz, TCM primetime anchor and official host of the TCM Classic Film Festival. “When Steven Spielberg started work on E.T., he didn’t imagine he was making a movie with mass appeal. We don’t get to say this often, but boy was Spielberg wrong.”

E.T. is the perfect example of a modern classic movie that combines both innovative direction and heartfelt performances,” said Pola Changnon, general manager of TCM. “This film is beloved by millions around the world and we’re honored to have it open our festival.”

At the center of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is Elliott, a young boy who befriends an extra-terrestrial who is accidentally left behind on Earth. As Elliott attempts to help his new friend contact his home planet so that he might be rescued, they must elude scientists and government agents determined to apprehend the alien for their own purposes...which results in an adventure greater than any of them could have imagined. Premiering on June 11, 1982, the film was a box office hit that became the highest grossing film at the time, beating out Star Wars. The beloved masterpiece was directed by Spielberg and produced by Kennedy and Marshall.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Opening night film is not going to be "Giant". It was announced that the opening night film will be "ET". Steven Spielberg will be in attendance.
As much as I would love Giant to be the opening night film, it makes sense. Other than Carroll Baker, there really aren't any stars of the film left who would be able to make an appearance and draw the type of press attention TCM would like to kick off the festival.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
As much as I would love Giant to be the opening night film, it makes sense. Other than Carroll Baker, there really aren't any stars of the film left who would be able to make an appearance and draw the type of press attention TCM would like to kick off the festival.

It's also extremely long which cuts into the opening night party which is so important for their corporate sponsors and certain passholders....

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Latest email about 2022 Festival:

CAST REUNIONS, PRE-CODES AND MORE ADDED TO THE 2022 TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL LINEUP

TCM is thrilled to announce the latest additions to the 2022 TCM Classic Film Festival lineup, including a special 40th anniversary screening of director Barry Levinson’s drama DINER (1982) with cast members Kevin Bacon, Tim Daly, Steve Guttenberg and Paul Reiser in attendance. The Festival will also present the coming-of-age comedy COOLEY HIGH (1975) with director Michael Schultz and cast members Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, Garrett Morris, Glynn Turman, and Steven Williams in attendance.

Actor Jane Seymour will be in attendance for a screening of the romantic drama SOMEWHERE IN TIME (1980) and indie icons writer-director John Sayles and actor-producer Maggie Renzi will return to the Festival to present RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS SEVEN (1980). Also making a return to the Festival is the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra performing live accompaniment to director Frank Borzage’s silent drama 7th HEAVEN (1927).

Newly added anniversary presentations include an 80th anniversary screening of MAISIE GETS HER MAN (1942) starring Ann Sothern and Red Skelton and 90th anniversary screenings of the pre-Codes THREE ON A MATCH (1932) starring Bette Davis, Joan Blondell and Ann Dvorak and the drama TOO BUSY TO WORK (1932) starring Will Rogers.

Additional titles include a new restoration of director Jules Dassin’s heist film TOPKAPI (1964), the Judy Garland musical THE HARVEY GIRLS (1946), and the romantic comedy HOUSEBOAT (1958) starring Cary Grant and Sophia Loren.

Select Festival passes are still available, but supplies are limited. To learn more about 2022 Festival passes, please click here.

Stay tuned for more exciting film and special guest announcements in the coming weeks!

See you in Hollywood April 21-24, 2022!

Reactions: PMF

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Amazon France is showing a June 22 release date for the Giant 4K UHD!

61100f95291d85878bba987e5866636b.gif

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
I must take the time and say this is good news. I'm really looking forward to hearing what people have to say about the screening of this restoration.

6e6152211c165a168da7a501b0e77aeb.gif

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"Giant" is one of my favorite films, is there a BR restoration coming as well ? I have the DVD, I didn't get the BR as it got so many poor reviews.....

7c11f552-47de-488e-bec1-8b842d0ecf46_1.d3f84c705196427d6b8535e26f87b2d9.jpeg

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
The Disc Father tweeted this earlier :)

Attachments

• 4ACBBED6-5E56-47A0-B00C-4311FFE087EF.jpeg
    4ACBBED6-5E56-47A0-B00C-4311FFE087EF.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 58

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s updated on iTunes too.
Picked the Dean three movie set on ITunes for $15 a couple days ago.

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
With each new edition, Jame Dean’s (third billed) visage grows larger and larger…He’s an effective “Jett Rink” with his reproachful youthful arrogance…No so much when playing him middle aged. I still imagine what Monty Clift (original choice) would have done with the role…???

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
With each new edition, Jame Dean’s (third billed) visage grows larger and larger…He’s an effective “Jett Rink” with his reproachful youthful arrogance…No so much when playing him middle aged. I still imagine what Monty Clift (original choice) would have done with the role…???
Wow, never knew Clift was first choice, I heard Rock Hudson was given the choice of choosing the female, lead after Grace Kelly bowed out. He chose Taylor over Bacall, so I heard.......
It would have been a different film with Kelly and Clift in the lead roles for sure.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

The new 4K restoration was completed sourcing both the original camera negatives and protection RGB separation master positives for the best possible image, and color corrected in high dynamic range for the latest picture display technology. The audio was sourced primarily from a 1995 protection copy of the Original Magnetic Mono soundtrack. The picture and audio restoration was completed by Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services: Motion Picture Imaging and Post Production Sound.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The new 4K restoration was completed sourcing both the original camera negatives and protection RGB separation master positives for the best possible image, and color corrected in high dynamic range for the latest picture display technology. The audio was sourced primarily from a 1995 protection copy of the Original Magnetic Mono soundtrack. The picture and audio restoration was completed by Warner Bros. Post Production Creative Services: Motion Picture Imaging and Post Production Sound.
Even with problematic dupes, I expect a 10-15% uptick in quality, which makes the work worthwhile.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Grace Kelly had wanted the Elizabeth Taylor role in "Giant". Not sure of where this information was sourced but here is the letter and the website that wrote about it. The awards are of course the Academy Awards which she ended up winning for " The Country Girl" .

1650038836498.png

1650038898413.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.