What's new

soundcard help!!! 7.1? only getting a pcm signal (1 Viewer)

VirPRO

Auditioning
hey, i just hooked up a new motherboard (asus k8v-se(deluxe))

the sound on my htpc sucks (some static too) now and the software is horrible
my system is an onkyo ht-s770 except i replaced the sub with an apex amp and an idmax12 (car audio sub)

the signal is always PCM even though i'm using the optical & coax outs (maybe they're simply analog outs???)

when i had my abit nforce2 board the sound was amazing and the software (soundstorm) was great

i loved the equalizer and the volume controls for each speaker as well as the crossover for the sub

anyway, i need advice
i think i should get a soundcard
my system is 6.1, i figure i shound get a 7.1 soundcard considering i've never seen a 6.1 card before

the software needs to be good and have good controls and have DIGITAL optical or coax (or whatever else my receiver can input digatally-- spdif???) i put a link up to the ht-s770 on onkyo's site, but htf won't let me post links...

thanks!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
FYI: SPDIF(sony/phillips digital interface) is "digital coaxial".

I'd recommend the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 which is what I use with my HTPC, awesome sound. Since I'm not into using eq's and sound fields, etc., I'm not sure what features the software has with it, I could check later if really needed to know.

VirPRO

Auditioning
someone help!
i've been hearing good things about Chaintech AV-710 and the E-MU 0404 and 1212...

any ideas guys?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For purely digital out go with the cheap Envy-24HTS Chaintech, it should be all you need. For analog AND digital out go with a Revolution or Audiotrak Prodigy.

Can I ask why did you go from nForce2 to VIA??? Doesn't nForce3 have the same neat onboard audio?

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
I have a chaintech and it works great for DVD's using the optical output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks