What's new

****Sopranos Season 5 Season Guide (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I also thought the freeze frame use in the teacher meeting scene with Carm was unusual for this show. Then I remembered it was directed by Mike Figgis - notable for "Leaving Last Vegas", "Cold Creek Manor" and Timecode. That last one, Timecode, was clearly experimental and maybe he slipped in that flair as his mark on this epsiode. That and the use of home video camera point of view from the soccer field seemed more avant garde than is usual from this series.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I didn't say Janice is this "loveable character," but for whatever reasons, she is trying the whole wife and mother thing and seems to be doing real well except for the anger which is genuine. Beating up the soccer mom was wrong, of course, but I think it came from a genuine sense of protection over the kid.

And it wasn't Janice who started telling Tony about how great the anger management thing is, he asked her about it. Tony's pissed because he blames all his emotional problems on his mother and can't stand the fact that the only other person who came from his background (evil mother) and shares his problem (depression is rage turned inward, something he took very much to heart) is learning to deal with it.

I also would call her progress genuine. For people with anger problems, getting a hold of the little things is important. In Tony's mind, the fact that his personal attacks set her off "proves" that she did not get better, but that's not true. Anyone would have reacted to those harsh words, if not as fiercely. But getting over the small stuff is very important, especially so quickly. If this was real, I hope her counselor would make that clear.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" I also give major credit to Bobby"

Hes turned into one of my favotes.I end up loving every scene this guy is in.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
I wasn't completely sold on Janice's conversion either, but I don't think Tony's behavior can (or should) be rationalized away. Not only did he harp :D on Janice abandoning her son, but he derived great joy in eliciting her anger. The scene underscores the fact that Janice hasn't changed and that Tony recognizes this, but let's not defend his repugnant behavior.

The wipe that followed the scene with Carmela and the advisor piqued my interest as well. Maybe it was, as Chuck suggests, an auteur's imprimatur. Still, it was only used once and seemed out of place in the episode. Any ideas on what this technique was meant to convey?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Loved this episode!

I don't feel sorry for Chris at all... He's a serious dumbass. He was laughing his ass off at dinner with "inside information" about Tony B.'s jokes. Enjoying the turning of tables on Tony S. Then, Tony B. (who IS very smart, and obviously a master of playing all sides to his advantage) starts siding with Tony S. and all of a sudden Chrissy is hurt and offended? This is why you will never be Don, Chris - and why Tony S. will fall and I think Tony B. will eventually be Don - it's not personal, it's business!! You guys take things too seriously. Tony B. lets it all roll off - and he always has his eye on the ball.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I took it to be an expression of how Carmela froze when confronted with an uncomfortable situation and retreated into a certainty she knows she no longer has. As she said to Rosalie Aprile, she can't explain why she said she was getting back together with Tony.

M.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
I don't think Carm, was all that uncomfortable. She had the wherewithal and savvy to drop the T bomb on the advisor, seemingly an attempt to intimidate him.

As for the technique, the director employed a freeze, followed by a wipe (a first for the show I believe). If Michael is correct in his interpretation, that would explain the freeze but not the wipe. If I recall correctly, the hallway scene segued into Carmela's conversation with Rosalie and I think this meant something, but I'm not sure what.

I may be overanalyzing this, but on a show where every action is imbued with meaning, I'm genuinely curious as to the import of this transition.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Could this unusual special effect transition last night be a last minute edit due to something removed from that scene. It is too much out of place as a technique in this series and served no particular value in the story. Using this freeze style to show a character thinking would open it up to being used many more tumes last night alone.

Maybe during a last minute review of the episode by the producers, someone noticed Carmela had a wardrobe malfunction as she walked toward the camera and used this quick transition style to edit it....

todd stone

Screenwriter
"When the Carmela scene went into slow motion, I thought my ReplayTV was going on the fritz!"

haha I was like, NOOOOO COMCAST DAMN YOU! ehehehe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else laugh really hard when Tony S shows up at Carmela's and finds out she's drained the pool? Tony's reaction was classic.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Yah, I forgot about that one. I loved when he was angrily putting his pants back on :)

John_VI

Second Unit
I loved Tony's reaction at the drained pool. And I almost peed my pants when Tony screwed up the "revenge" line. I still laugh out loud when I think of him saying it!!

"Revenge is like serving cold cuts."

"You mean, 'Revenge is a dish best served cold?'"

"Yeah, what did I say?"

And the uncle in Upstate NY is Uncle Pat. Those scenes were shot at a place called Greig Farm in Dutchess County, very close to our house. My wife and I had dinner at a local restaurant for Mother's Day and then went out for a drive with the kids. We just happened to drive through Greig Farm without remembering that it would be featured in the Sopranos episode last night. Then when we were watching the show, we simultaneously pointed at the TV with our mouths agape and uttered a very Sproanos-like, "HEY!"

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's easy to see his nice side because he's been busy as Uncle Junior's caretaker. If and when Uncle Junior dies or leaves the show through some other plot device, I'm sure we'd find reasons to dislike Bobby. He'd wack someone or break a leg or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks