What's new

Sopranos Season 4 Review and Discussion Thread Shows 1-12 (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I have a question: I never figured out how Chris is related to Tony. Until last night, I figured "nephew" was a term of affection, stemming from Tony's relationship with Chris' dad. Then came the trust only blood
line and immediate reference to Chris. Have I missed something these past three seasons?

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My few cents...

Do we have any idea the amount of time that was to have passed between Season 3 and Season 4? The whole timeline with the FBI agent's baby, the events os 9/11, etc could be important.

I am not sure IF it was the Nurse, the Doctor, or someone else (or no one at all). They could have just been bugged.

Carm's interest with Italy seems to be linked with her interest in Furio...

Chris, like Big Pussy, may end up being the downfall of Tony. Sorry, but Chris does not have the make-up to be long in "The Business". The last time he was so deep into the drugs, it cost him in the eyes of Tony (remember the trip to Italy?)

Paulie is turning rogue on Tony. It seems that a MAJOR turf war with New York is on the horizon...

I don't think Ralphie and Ro are married.

I think that the FBI agent will end up dead, and that she will plead for her life while holding her baby.

It was VERY interesting to see that Big Pussy's wife is now working in the grocery store... What got Carm rattled was that SHE did not want to see herself doing that if Tony stopped being the provider.

Anyone also getting the idea that Tony may be skimming a little more than normal? With the hiding of cash all around the grounds for the house...

On Edit: The guy at the Bing is the bouncer, not a bartender...

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else think that the episode was filmed very darkly? Much more shadow than usual, especially in the scenes with Tony's "working" family.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's been frikkin' 18 months since I last saw season 3. I apologize for getting the AJ/military school wrong, and it apears that Ralphie and Ro are just shacking up, not married.

It's been posted elsewhere, but does anyone else think these 5 seasons of the Sopranos is all just a way to tell the story of street punk that gets made and becomes the next mob boss: Christopher Moltisanti? Tony's story is incidental (as he'll either land in jail, die, or flee the country).

Bobby's thick as a brick (though he's definitely lost weight since last season). Even Junior's older man-servant (whatever his name is) doesn't want to be around Junior.

Paulie will turn allegiances towards the New York mob, and be pivotal in a betrayal later. And he probably gets whacked for it.

David Glenn

Second Unit
I'm guessing Paulie was set up by the NY family and will get him out of jail to further gain his trust/loyalty.

With regards to Paulie on the phone, it would seem that bosses should refrain from speaking to their imprisoned crew.

I agree, the nurse is too obvious of a choice as the undercover FBI agent.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I'd heard that Tony Sirico (Paulie Walnuts) had to have back surgery which limited his availability for filming, which made it necessary to get him out of the way.

How many times has the Bing's bartender/bouncer got beaten up now?

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
I never figured out how Chris is related to Tony.
Tony refers to him as "nephew" and loves him like a son, but Christopher Moltisanti is actually Carmela's first cousin, once removed. His father was Carmela's cousin, Dickie Moltisanti, who was something of a mentor to the youthful Tony. So when the senior Moltisanti was shot to death, Tony, in turn, took Christopher under his wing. As Christopher remembers very little of his father - he was still in diapers when Dickie was killed - Tony's the closest thing he's ever had to a paternal figure. [Taken from HBO.com]

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Tony refers to him as "nephew" and loves him like a son, but Christopher Moltisanti is actually Carmela's first cousin, once removed. His father was Carmela's cousin, Dickie Moltisanti, who was something of a mentor to the youthful Tony. So when the senior Moltisanti was shot to death, Tony, in turn, took Christopher under his wing.
Thanks a lot! I wondered if he was actually related to Carmela since I had "accounted" for Tony's kin. BTW, does anyone else feel more and more sorry for Chris? He is the only figure on the show who has ever seemed to aspire to something beyond the status quo. (The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti.) Everyone else, including Carmela, just wishes they could feel better about the status quo. Just my take.

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Loved the start with, again, Tony walking down the driveway to get the paper, and while "World Destruction" is playing, and with all the headlines about terrorism and what-not, Tony flips right to the sports page. :) Had a nice "let's-get-on-with-it" style to it.
Max, I agree, the cinematography is a little different this year, I noticed it right away. A deliberate move, I think, to contrast how things are darker for everybody in the show.
Is that doctor still Dr. Kennedy? Well, regardless, that would be a great twist if the man that Junior trusted to save his life will be the one to do him in. I don't think it's the nurse, either (the doctor was the one nosing in on the meeting). I think she was there as a character to demonstrate how Junior and Tony view women differently (Junior's cute, dirty old man schtick vs. Tony's f--- me eyes), the totally different responses they illicit from the same women, and to cause confusion once the mole is revealed.
The FBI agent is married with a child? How messed up is this? And I am confused by the timeline as well. I thought we skipped 18 months in their lives (OK, with AJ home, it's probably still summer). So how does the FBI keep her on the case after she becomes pregnant and has a child? Doesn't make sense, there's too much suspension of disbelief. But as far as the story goes, I'm sure it's leading up to a huge plot line. I mean, let's face it, Tony is ALL OVER her.
Paulie has been a dead man since Tony's "Indian Food Dreams" right before he whacked Pussy. Silvio says "Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself" and Tony looks into the telescope to see himself shoot Paulie. He knew then that Paulie would turn on him, and Paulie has now gone totally with Johnny Sack. Tony didn't help him out because of passive-aggressive behavior.
Overall, the episode didn't have the impact of the final three episodes, but was a great set-up, and it subtly wove itself back into the world we now live in which has a lot more fear than it did before (which many of the characters demonstrated). I don't like Tony beating up Bobby all the time - the poor bastard's asking for it, but come on, the guy's a little slow . They referenced Hoboken, nice (Joe Pantoliano had something to do with that). I'm tired of AJ being a schlub, I thought after Jackie got killed he would straighten out and assert himself. But he's still a stunted 10-year-old (actually, after the way the actor behaved in public, he deserved it). And finally, I'm sure Aida Turturro is a nice enough person, but could somebody PLEASE put Janice on a bus back to Seattle? I can't stand looking at her.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
CharlesD is correct about Paulie. He had to have some sort of surgery and David Chase had to re-do the first 5 episodes so that is why he is suddenly in jail. Hopefully the re-writes won't affect the quality of the first few episodes.

My overall impressions of the premier were mixed. Maybe it's just that I had my hopes up SO high going into last night and they had to lay some groundwork for the upcoming season. The previews for next week look great though!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Regarding "trust only blood"... when Christopher was made, he took a blood oath (they showed a snippet of this in the rehash of last season).

- Steve

Jodee

Screenwriter
Since Paulie is in jail in Youngstown, Ohio, maybe that's why Tony isn't able to help him? He probably does not have connections out there.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
In case you're wondering, the "Wild Bird" store and "Italianissimo" are real places and right next to my bank. :)

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
It's been frikkin' 18 months since I last saw season 3. I apologize for getting the AJ/military school wrong, and it apears that Ralphie and Ro are just shacking up, not married.
Sorry Patrick... I wasn't meaning to correct you - I was asking because my wife asked that exact question last night about Ralphie and Ro being married. I was just making sure. :)
I was also wondering about the timeline. When season 3 ended, it was end of winter/beginning of spring. There were a couple of things that gave away the timeline:
- Meadow needing to go online with Carm and register for classes means, I would guess, it's getting close to Fall semester. Then she said she would miss dinner because of a 'back-to-school' party. And in the preview for next week they say Meadow might take a year off and go abroad instead.
- AJ's school only being 5-days old. (Whatever school he's at)
- The bird seed being bought in the 'wrong season' according to Carm and the sales guy. (Meaning late summer/early fall)
So.... my guess is the timeline is last night's episode was last September '01. Season 3 ended Feb/March 2001, and now we jumped ahead 6 months. Meadow is about to be a Sophomore at Columbia, and AJ is a Sophomre in high school.
As for Danielle, it is very shoddy with the plotline. Either Adrianna knows she had a baby, or she was an extremely fit pregnant woman.
As for 9/11, the show would be taking place right around when it would've happened, but I'm sure the writers didn't want to get involved too much. A simple reference by Tony was probably all they wanted to do to acknowledge it.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
From Jack
In case you're wondering, the "Wild Bird" store and "Italianissimo" are real places and right next to my bank.
Wow, Jack. I remember saying to my wife when that scene showed up, "that is such an obvious 'Photoshop' type effect covering up the actual stores". Are the signs actually in that ugly green color?

Doug

Jodee

Screenwriter
I actually think the show takes place "now" in late August-early Sept. 2002 (hence the references to the economy & terrorism), but they only skipped over about 6 months or so in the series. So season 3 would have been Meadow's freshman year in college, and this season is her sophomore year.
I think Danielle probably already had the baby when she started hanging out with Adriana.
The impression I got is that although it's been 18 months since season 3 aired, not that much time has elapsed since season 3 ended. (Hence the references to having to scramble to find AJ a new school, etc.)
Last season seemed to end in late winter/early spring, so I would say about 6 months have passed in the Sopranos timeline.
Of course, that would have placed 9/11 in Meadow's freshman year, but I think some artistic license is acceptable since this is a fictional show, which exist in their own lexclusive world. Besides, that would have given more credence to Meadow's roommate always freaking out about living in New York. :)

David Glenn

Second Unit
I'm sure Aida Turturro is a nice enough person, but could somebody PLEASE put Janice on a bus back to Seattle? I can't stand looking at her.
She actually seems to be a very nice person. I met her at J&R Music World for a Season 3 DVD signing and chated with her for like a minute. I also took a picture with her. When she put her arm around me I actually cringed with a little fear.

Funny story - During the signings, she asked a fan if she could hold her 18 month year old. When she did the baby started crying hysterically. The whole store laughed as if it was an expected reaction due to the baby's response to the hated Janice Soprano.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I actually think the show takes place "now" in late August-early Sept. 2002 (hence the references to the economy & terrorism), but they only skipped over about 6 months or so in the series.
That could be, too. It would just mean we actually watched season 3 'in the future'. :) Season 3 would've taken place this past Thanksgiving and XMas, even though it aired before that.
You're right, though... it's a matter of suspending the disbelief of the timeline for the creative nature of the show since it's fiction.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Carmella wants to know how to get at the money in case Tony goes away.
I'm thinking Carmella may want to get at the money in case she decides to go away. She is becoming more vocal about Tony's "fooling around" with other women.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks