What's new

Sony STR-DN1000 Receiver - HDMI Inputs - Needing a separate digital audio connection ??? WHAT? Plea (1 Viewer)

BigGarb

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for your input Jason.

I do not have the TV connected through digital optical output. My CABLE BOX and BLU-RAY are connected via HDMI to the TV and separate digital audio connections for each to the RECEIVER.

I am pretty sure I am getting 5.1 Dolby Digital through my external sources. When programing from the CABLE BOX are broadcast in 5.1, the blue multi-channel indicator lights up on my RECEIVER. Same for the BLU-RAY; if the disc offers 5.1 Dolby Digital, the blue multi-channel indicator lights up. However, if the DVD is a Blu-ray encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio or Dobly TrueHD, the audio is down sampled to Dolby ProLogic.

I did some additional research and here is what I plan on doing:
Hooking up all components via HDMI to the receiver with the HDMI OUT to my TV. If I want to listen to the audio through my TV speakers only, I can set the receiver to "TV+AMP" and just mute the receiver.

We'll see how it works.

Anyone feel free to chime in with any additional input.

Thanks,
Mike

BigGarb

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Got the receiver and hooked it all up. Works great. No problems thus far.

Here's how I decided to hook it up:
BLU-RAY to RECEIVER via HDMI
RECEIVER to TV via HDMI
CABLE BOX to TV via HDMI (audio/video)
CABLE BOX to RECEIVER via digital optical audio (audio only)
CD PLAYER to RECEIVER via RCA audio (will change to digital optical when I get my shipment form Monoprice.)

Results:
Full DTS audio from BLU-RAY
DD 5.1 from CABLE BOX when available (or standard audio via TV speakers)

Additional hookups:
Kept Wii connected directly to TV (didn't seem worth the trouble running through receiver)
Hooked up my front speakers via BI-AMP connection

A couple notes:
Auto Calibration seemed to work well. The manual instructed to turn the subwoofer volume to just less than halfway and the crossover level to max prior to running the auto cal function. Previously I keep the volume around equal to 2 or 3 and the crossover to 80-100. After calibration only got output by keeping crossover at the higher levels. Sounds fine.

Waiting on a couple shipments from Monoprice including:
- 3 new HDMI cables (their best quality) the ones I bought for hookup are going back to the store due to the fact I got them for about a third of the price from MP
- Banana plugs for speaker wires
- Subwoofer cable and Y-splitter (paid $40 at Radio Shack for the same that I am getting for $10 from MP)
- 2 Digital Optical cables (got 2 for about $10 compared to the one I got for $20 at Fry's)

Gotta love Monoprice. Hope the quality is up to par as everyone claims. Ideally, I should have waited and did the entire hookup at once but was too antsy to get the thing up and running.

Haven't been able to do a full test due to my 3 yr old being in bed at the time of completion. Planning on a full workout of the system this weekend.

Mike

Rivman

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
. . . new technology and new toys, don'tcha just love it !

Just got my STR-DN1000, along with a KDL-46Z5100 and a BDP-S360. The HD Bravia Sync basic connection diagram that came with the TV, differs from the diagram supplied with the receiver (3: Connecting other components), in that the HD Cable Box source plugs directly into one of the HDMI inputs on the TV instead of the HDMI 3 Audio input on the recvr.
Just wunderin which is correct, or does it matter ?
They both show a digital optical audio cable connection from the TV to the recvr. if that helps with the qerry that started all this thread.
You will be hard pressed to beat MonoPrice for all your cable requirements as mentioned in the previous post.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Really? The Sony manuals tell you to use HDMI from cable box to TV, then optical out of the TV to the receiver?

Amazing.

Chances are, that won't give you any digital surround audio. You'll be lucky to get even stereo. The audio out from most TVs will only pass digital (5.1) audio if the signal originated from the TVs own tuner - which you're not using since you have cable. Any external sources are either downmixed to stereo before being output, or aren't output at all.

If you can, you're much better off running HDMI from cable box to receiver, then a single HDMI out to the TV. If you MUST run the HDMI cable directly to the TV, then run the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.

Rivman

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Jason, I should add that the TV inst. diagram (for Bravia sync.) does show an HDMI cable from the recvr. HDMI out to the TV HDMI in, in addition to the TV HDMI in from the HD cable box, but the optical connection is shown from the TV to the receiver.
I have yet to instal it all, (. . . redecorating is being done), but this thread, which I did not mean to hijack, sorta spiked my DN1000 DIY hookup curiosity.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
In looking at the details on the Sony site for their Z-Series TVs, and browsing the manuals for your model in particular, it seems possible that this is one of the very few TVs that DOES pass 5.1 audio through the optical output for sources hooked up via HDMI inputs.
Please let us know if this is the case once you get everything hooked up.
The question of using the optical out from TVs in the manner you describe is asked about 6 times a day around here, and the generic response is always that it won't work for "99%" of the TVs out there - but no one seems to know what models fall into that mythical 1%.
A wiki page was started for this issue, and it would be nice to start adding specific makes and models of TVs that DO pass digital audio out to that article.
Good luck with the setup. Hope it works out for you.

Rivman

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Checked the spec sheet for the TV, and it does claim that the digital audio out (optical) jack on the TV is indeed a PCM/Dolby Digital optical signal (...when in doubt read the manual ?)
Thanks for your input Jason - I'll post results, once we get it all up 'n running !

astoy2

Auditioning
Real Name
andy
I also recently got a DN1000 to replace a 10 year old Yamaha with 5.1 surround. Have had most of the problems posted here, but also have a new one.
I have 2 front, 2 rear, a center and a subwoofer from previous system. I have read the manual twice and tried every setting, but CANNOT get any sound from woofer. Even swapped it out with another. It appears that nothing is coming from receiver subwoofer output.
Any ideas on what I am missing? Not anxious to call talk to another Sony rep who knows less than me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have 2 front, 2 rear, a center and a subwoofer from previous system. I have read the manual twice and tried every setting, but CANNOT get any sound from woofer. Even swapped it out with another. It appears that nothing is coming from receiver subwoofer output.

Do you have the speakers set to "small" or "large" in the receiver set-up? Regardless of their physical size or presence or absence of woofers in the speaker enclosures, your speakers should be set to "small" if you're using a subwoofer. Otherwise the bass is routed to the main speakers and not the sub on many systems.

Regards,

Joe

astoy2

Auditioning
Real Name
andy
Thanks Joe, tried that several times also.When test tone is used, the display cycles through all 6 speakers and the panel display says it is sending a signal(I assume) to the SW output, but nothing heard at either SW.

Rivman

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Andy, I know you've probably tried this already, just trying to get familiar with the DN1000 for my setup.
Did you try a different sub audio patch cord between the sub and the rcvr ?
On the sub:
Subwoofer power on, with master volume 1/2 way
Crossover frequency set to maximum.
If your sub has a 3 position power switch, off, on, or 'standby' position - 'standby' should be deactivated, in other words 'power on' only. This is from p.41 of the manual.
On .p128 - There is no sound from the subwoofer ?
yadda, yadda, yadda
I probably sound just like a Sony rep !

astoy2

Auditioning
Real Name
andy
Thanks Randy, yes I swapped cables and subwoofers. We have a sony repair center here, so I will probably take it too them.
Andy

arbitus

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Hey guys, was searching for help with my DN1000 when I came across this thread. I am not sure my problem specifically relates to the OP, but it sounds like it could be similar to problems others have had.

I have an older HDTV from Toshiba that maxes at 1080i and has HDMI input.
I have a recently homebrewed HTPC and a Comcast cable box.

My cable box only has component out, so I connected it to the Video 1 inputs on the receiver, and ran HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. After a few false starts, I got everything working correctly, and had video on TV and sound from the speakers. I was able to enter the GUI menu and change a few settings. Then, I connected the HTPC to the receiver via HDMI to the HDMI 1 input. I swapped the receiver to the HDMI 1 and was able to load up Windows Media Center with everything working. I began playback of a DVD to test surround sound. It did not come on automatically, so I figured I would go into the GUI to setup playback. That was a mistake.

Then moment I hit the GUI menu button on the remote, the TV began to flash green and black. I backed out of the GUI and nothing changed. I stopped the DVD playback, and was able to see my HTPC desktop once again. However, when I would try to play the DVD, the picture would be completely scrambled. When I would switch back to the component inputs from my cable box, it would flash green and black again. Nothing I could do would bring the GUI up anymore, and no amount of resetting the receiver could fix it. I am going to try and reconfigure everything again this evening, but does anyone know what could be causing this issue or what I should try that has a high likelihood of fixing it?

d3derror

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederic Salzmann
Hi Folks,

since the STR-DN 1000 is not really a top seller in Europe, i didn t find any help for my Problem and have to ask here.

I have the receiver since 3 weeks ansd at the beginning it was working well.

TV : Pana TX-P50S10e --> Hdmi out
BD : Pana DMP-BD80 --> hdmi 3
Sat Box : Argus Mini --> hdmi 4
Wii : Component

here my problem, since 5 Days, when i watch Sat, after a while, i see like a "Green Snow" on TV and the picture Aspect is switching in a loop between Large and 16:9. i thought it was a problem of resolution so i swtich to Direct. the BD was working well

But Yesterday evening same problem with the BD... :(

did some other experiment the Green effect problem ? is it a defect Receiver or a configuratino problem ?

thanks for your help

arbitus

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
I wanted to follow up and say that I have fixed my issue. It appears that the HTPC recognizes the receiver as a full HD device and automatically switched to a full HD resolution, but that somehow this caused switching issues with my television, causing the receiver to freak out. I set the resolution of the HTPC to match that of my TV (one notch down from 1080), and everything has worked fine. I wish I had a full 1080p TV to test this on to make sure it will work when I replace my current TV with a new generation flat-screen, but I guess only time will tell.

targa88

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Marson
Another newby to add to the pile.
Trying to connect the STRDN1000 with the following components:
SONY TV: KF60WE610 (no HDMI either component or DVI)
SONY DVD: DVP-NC615 (no HDMI)
SONY Dream system speakers
Bell ExpressVU - digital satellite

Having just spent an hour with SONY tech support.
I understand the following:
1) Although I am suppose to be able to connect with HDMI for the satellite it will not work
2) Although HDMI is suppose to support Audio & Video it does not appear to be the case - separate audio is required.
3) DVD player is connected - however video appears only no sound. Tech support says I need to have both a optical and digital co-ax for the audio - which I do not believe is the case.
All components are connected with components video cables (Y/Pb/Pr) & composite audio cables.
Satellite TV is not connected - since HDMI does not work (based on Sony Tech)
Even if I enable the speakers on the TV - I still don't get any sound.
The set-up is not intuitive, neither is the GUI, or tech support from Sony.
Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong and/or what components/cables am I missing to have all this work?
Help would be appreciated.... Thanks

astoy2

Auditioning
Real Name
andy
An update on my sub woofer problem. After spending an hour on the phone with a fairly capable Sony rep, and having already tried everything she suggested, I decided to take it to local Sony repair center. Tech called me and said he was getting output from sub woofer jack. I asked what his test procedure was, and he said, "first I initialized or reset all the settings". I said I did that also, and he said, " but I used a procedure in the service manual, not the owners manual". Interesting, if Sony would have put that tidbit in my manual, it would have saved us all much time and money..
The procedure was:
Turn off rcvr.
Simultaneously hold down speaker button, muting button and on/off button until "cleared" appears on display.

Brought unit home and now have sub woofer working.
Andy

Rivman

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
Sony 'secrets' Andy - if they put all that 'secret' info in the usermanual, the Sony techs wouldn't have a job. Good to know you got it solved, and better still, how !

sjava

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
I just bought DN1000 with Harman Kardon HKTS18. I connected HMDI 1 to U-verse box, HDMI 3 to PS3, Component 1 to Wii and HDMI ouput to Sony W3000 52' LCD. I can get video from all inputs just fine. The problem is the audio.

From Uverse I'm only getting 2.1 (front speakers and SW) and I already selected sorround sound digital output in Uverse box. Is separate audio cable the only way to get sorround sound from Uverse box? The display says LPCM.

I'm getting full 5.1 audio from PS3 only when i'm playing featured movie in blu ray disk. I'm only getting 2.1 audio when I'm playing the movie previews in blu ray or when I'm playing audio CD in PS3. It says LPCM too. Is that how it is? How is it with other receivers such as Onkyos? What the purpose of buying 5.1 speakers if you can barely use all speakers.

I cannot get audio & video at the same time with Wii. Where should I connect Wii's audio cable on the receiver?
Please help me with these questions. I'm starting to think about returning this receiver.

jja4151

Grip
Real Name
Juan
[SIZE= smaller]Hi,
I had some problem setting my receiver too. But thanks to you I set my unit to factory setting by holding the power button and now it work fine. Thank you so much.

Juan Acosta[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks