What's new

Sony STR-DN1000 Receiver - HDMI Inputs - Needing a separate digital audio connection ??? WHAT? Plea (1 Viewer)

deo69

Auditioning
Real Name
david
I've recently purhcased an Asus M3N78-EM mobo with HDMI out and built an HTPC around it. OS is Windows XP 32 bit.
Everything is working great and I've connected it to my Samsung 1080p TV via the HDMI.
I also have a Sony STR-DN1000 that I use to switch between multiple HDMI sources - it outputs video to my TV and processes audio passed over HDMI. I tried connecting the mobo to one of the HDMI inuts on the amp. It works fine except that if I switch sources on the amp, turn off the amp/TV, or do anthing to drop the connection, it won't pick up the connection again if I switch the amp input back to the HTPC input. The only way to pick up the HDMI signal is to have the Amp & TV switched to the right input and reboot the PC.
I'm somewhat perlplexed as to why it's doing this, and I'd like to know if there's a way of fixing it. I plan to keep the PC on most of the time; ideally if I want to view something I don't want to have to reboot first. I've established it's not a Windows thing as it does the same if viewing the BIOS screen via HDMI.
None of my other equipment connected to the Sony amp does this, furthermore if I connect the PC directly to the TV there are no problems with switching inputs either.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
David

OK, My Dad got this receiver. After GooGling for hooking a WII up to this receiver I was on this thread. Still had to figure it out for myself since the manual basically sucks. So here you go.

Connecting a WII to the Sony STR-DN1000

If you look on the back you will see Component 1, 2 and 3. Component 1 is the BD Button by default. You can hook up your RGB to the Component 1 and the Audio (Red/Wht) to BD Audio and your all set. Hit BD on your remote and you have both up converted video and audio. Component 2 is DVD button. Same thing here. Connect RGB Component 2 and the Audio (Red/Wht) to SA-CD and Hit DVD on remote and your good to go. Component 3 is SAT. Connect RGB to component 3 and audio (Red/Wht) to SAT and when you hit SAT on remote your Good to Go.

Here is my complete setup that works perfectly.

HDMI 1 - Series 3 HD TiVo
HDMI 2 - Panasonic Blue ray/VCR/Media Player
SAT - WII Game Console.

HDMI Out to Sony 1080P HD TV

I used Two 3' HDMI cables for HDMI 1 & 2 inputs, One 6' for HDMI Out to TV and the WII's Component Cable. That's it.

Hope this Helps allot of you out there.

CHOW!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
A guy at SatelliteGuy forums warned people about this receiver, and using HDMI splitters (probably means switches). He said that after countless hours of debugging, they've found the receiver does not work right with HDMI splitters/switches. As soon as you connect one, the sound goes to 2 ch. PCM. If anyone having problems is using a splitter/switch, that may be the problem........... Just an FYI.

BigGarb

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Andrew Donelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, My Dad got this receiver. After GooGling for hooking a WII up to this receiver I was on this thread. Still had to figure it out for myself since the manual basically sucks. So here you go.
Connecting a WII to the Sony STR-DN1000
If you look on the back you will see Component 1, 2 and 3. Component 1 is the BD Button by default. You can hook up your RGB to the Component 1 and the Audio (Red/Wht) to BD Audio and your all set. Hit BD on your remote and you have both up converted video and audio. Component 2 is DVD button. Same thing here. Connect RGB Component 2 and the Audio (Red/Wht) to SA-CD and Hit DVD on remote and your good to go. Component 3 is SAT. Connect RGB to component 3 and audio (Red/Wht) to SAT and when you hit SAT on remote your Good to Go.
Here is my complete setup that works perfectly.
HDMI 1 - Series 3 HD TiVo
HDMI 2 - Panasonic Blue ray/VCR/Media Player
SAT - WII Game Console.
HDMI Out to Sony 1080P HD TV
I used Two 3' HDMI cables for HDMI 1 & 2 inputs, One 6' for HDMI Out to TV and the WII's Component Cable. That's it.
Hope this Helps allot of you out there.
CHOW!
Thanks Andrew. Could not figure this out until your post.

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
I have this same receiver, got it setup and going with no issues at all. I have mine wired up like most others, all Audio and Video run to the receiver via HDMI then a single HDMI going to my TV. Cable is HDMI1 and BluRay is HDMI2...when I want to watch cable I just press HDMI1 and press HDMI2 when I want to watch BluRay. I connected my speakers including a powered sub and everything worked as it should.

cangrande

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hi, Just purchased this receiver. I have a Comcast Cable Box and PS3 connected to the AVR with Cat2 HDMI cables and one Cat2 HDMI connected from the receiver to a Samsung Plasma. When viewing the OnDemand from Comcast I can view movies in SD but when trying to play a movie or show in HD I only get No Signal. When I connected the cable box directly to the TV the OnDemand worked fine playing HD content. I'm confused at why the receiver won't play the HD??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

frenchy69

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Richard
I just bought one of these and am pretty sure I am bringing it back,, it is way to complicated for this old guy,, All I wanted was a receiver that would be simple to operate this manula is a nitemare!

frenchy69

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Richard
Were you able to set it up so that all components are controlled with the supplied remote ?
I am still unable to program the remote to control my Panasonic BD AND TV nor my Motorola Cable box
Thoughts?
Thanks

frenchy69

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Richard
Are all your componants Sony?
If not how are you controlling them from the remote? I tried to set them with the codes but no luck.

slowspeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Ian
Hi gents, Im have real problems setting up my sony sdr-dn1000 I cant seem to assign the componants, sky box, 3d bluray, apple tv and ps3.
I can watch them if I switch them on and use the HDMI buttons on the remote, however, I have hooked up a digital cable to sky as its the ony way to get the 5.1 in HD, when its running through HDMI 1 using the remote I dont get 5.1, but when I change it using the input selector on the amp I get 5.1 blue light on amp and great sound but no picture, how do I assign the amp to run using the top buttons on the remote?
I know the above is a bit all over the place any help would be good thanks in advance.
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks