What's new

Sony Receiver HDMI ins -> HDMI Switch -> HMDI to DVI cable -> TV = Epic Fail. (1 Viewer)

JoeBu

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
So here is my situation. I've literally been working on this on and off for a year now working on it whenever I have the need/desire.

Here is the setup

Receiver

Sony str-DG810 which has 3 HDMI inputs and one Output.

TV

Samsung 50" Plasma (NO HDMI Inputs)

HDMI in 1 - DirecTV

HDMI in 2 - Blue Ray

HDMI in 3 - Laptop

HDMI Out - HDMI -> DVI cable

So video works flawlessly when switching my inputs...the problem is I have no audio. If I power off the TV the Audio comes on, when I turn the TV back on the Audio turns off.

So I went into the Receiver setup and set the HDMI audio to AMP only....same issue.

After thinking about it for a while I figured it must be the HDMI/DVI converter cable. So I bought a 5 port HDMI Switch.

So now the HDMI Out goes to HDMI Switch to HDMI/DVI cable. Same issue.

So I drug my 40" LCD down (with HDMI inputs down) and plugged that in, everything works.

Can anyone explain why this happens???? It's driving me insane...I realize the solution is to get a new TV...but WHY does it happen?

I understand that I can use coax audio for DVD and Sat, but I can't get any sound thru my receive from my Laptop as it only has DMI out.....

Manual is on this page http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=STRDG810

sporter

Auditioning
Real Name
smp
Sounds like a bad cable. Try a better DVI-HDMI cable. I had the same problem with an RCA HDMI cable I had before.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Rob. I thought I had the answer (been burned before), but then I saw that you already tried it:

So I went into the Receiver setup and set the HDMI audio to AMP only....same issue.

Its odd because you have that set correctly and DVI isn't even supposed to support audio. Is there any similar type of option in the Samsung TV for audio on the DVI input? Is there an option to turn the speakers in the TV off? What happens if you do that? Does it happen during playback on every source?

Its almost like something is really screwed up with the EDID, but I have never seen that affect audio before. I realize its probably out of warranty, but it might be worth seeing if there was a FW update for your TV at some point and if it is possible to have that installed. Looking at the manual, make sure audio is on amp only and try turning HDMI control off.

JoeBu

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
"Sounds like a bad cable. Try a better DVI-HDMI cable. I had the same problem with an RCA HDMI cable I had before"

I'll give it a shot.

"Its odd because you have that set correctly and DVI isn't even supposed to support audio. Is there any similar type of option in the Samsung TV for audio on the DVI input? Is there an option to turn the speakers in the TV off? What happens if you do that? Does it happen during playback on every source? "

1) I can only disable volume control in the samsung TV I can't turn off all audio on the TV.

2) It happens on all Sources

"Its almost like something is really screwed up with the EDID, but I have never seen that affect audio before. I realize its probably out of warranty, but it might be worth seeing if there was a FW update for your TV at some point and if it is possible to have that installed. Looking at the manual, make sure audio is on amp only and try turning HDMI control off."

I did try turning HDMI Control off, no difference...I think that maybe all of these are signs that it is time for a new TV. I was hoping introducing the HDMI switch would prolong this TV's life. but I would really like to do HDMI out from my laptop for a # of reasons.

Thanks for your help...it's just frustrating when you don't understand why something is happening.

gj00101

Auditioning
Real Name
gerry
I had the same problem. Sony receivers don't play well with DVI, they look downstream on the HDMI for a "handshake", since you are converting to DVI the handshake does not take place. That is pretty much the jist of it, I'll save you the tech talk.

There is a simple solution:

input your Directv hdmi cable to HDMI Video1 of receiver

input your Directv audio cable to audio input (composite) of Video 1 of receiver

go to the menu settings of your receiver and change the audio input of HDMI Video 1 to Video 1

you'll notice you still won't have sound, but you'll see the video on tv

look at the display of your receiver and you'll see HDMI lit up

push the INPUT MODE button twice on your remote control

now look at the receiver display and notice the HDMI changed to Analog

you should see the picture on tv and now have sound

keep in mind that you'll loose alot of sound profiles due to the audio coming from composite

if you can use optical it will work too

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks