What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wait, you hate 60 fps because it usually means lower resolution or because its too smooth?

In my experience, I would much rather have 60 fps than 30 but with 4K.
Based on some of his other views on modern games and gaming, it sounds like sarcasm to me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The games that I have enjoyed playing in the past are mostly turn-based RPGs (D&D games on PC, and early Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest) with some driving games and a few Metroidvanias and some rogue-like games like the Diablo series. I don’t currently play on any other platform and am focusing my limited free time solely on movies and music now.
If you do decide to hop back into gaming, you'd probably find a lot of value in a Switch or a Steam Deck. The games you're interested in are well-represented on both.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wait, you hate 60 fps because it usually means lower resolution or because its too smooth?

In my experience, I would much rather have 60 fps than 30 but with 4K.
6O FPS reminds me of the soap opera setting you can find on most TV's. or movies that employ high frame rate. I just don't like the look of it overall. Also, for some reason when I play in that mode I get terrible headaches after extended game time. I never get that with games at 30FPS for some reason.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Never upgraded from PS4 to PS5, and initially was excited to see the PS5 Pro rumor: that would be a good upgrade Christmas present this year. And then I remembered that PS5 were in short supply until last year; maybe they still are, I haven’t look for pricing lately. So, will a PS5 Pro be actually available for purchase for a non-hardcore shopper in the next two or three years?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
More PS5 Pro info

What's the point of those specs when they have barely taken advantage of the capabilities of the base PS5? I'll probably skip upgrading to the pro this time around. They are barely supporting what they have had in release for 3 years.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never upgraded from PS4 to PS5, and initially was excited to see the PS5 Pro rumor: that would be a good upgrade Christmas present this year. And then I remembered that PS5 were in short supply until last year; maybe they still are, I haven’t look for pricing lately. So, will a PS5 Pro be actually available for purchase for a non-hardcore shopper in the next two or three years?
I suspect it will be the usual bullshit of limited supply snapped up by scalpers, who will charge suckers 3 times the retail price, so they can be the equivalent of the guys who used to.post "first" in comment threads.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sony usually does preorders through their PlayStation website using PSN names as a way to weed out people and limit purchases. I used it for my PSVR2 and PS Portal preorders and it worked great. But you do need to be a bit proactive and get on it ASAP.

The PS5 definitely has some untapped potential but the issue seems to be the hesitance for studios to jump completely to the next gen and lose their PS4 base. Is it just me or does the PS4-to-PS5 and XBox One-to-Series generation seem like the first time this was as big of a problem? Was it due to covid impacts/delays or did publishers finally realize new hardware has smaller install bases than 7 year old hardware?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Using a chunk of my Tax return to buy a PS5 for one game!! Crazy times!
Season 6 Omg GIF by The Office

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll hold off on upgrading the PS5 to the Pro since I'm barely playing it so I can wait until PS6 or whatever is actually next. Will most likely instead pre-order the Switch 2 when it's announced.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Don't really need a pro when brand new games are still being made for the PS4. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
My PS4 is ancient, and is finally showing signs of failing :( so in a way I'm upgrading for my PS4 library (although I rarely/if ever revisit games I completed) but mainly the FF7 Rebirth (PS5 only) launch a while back still has me super hyped. The original is one of my all time favorite games, and the FF7 Remake from a few years ago is pretty amazing. I figure If I want to complete this series I have to upgrade.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Don't really need a pro when brand new games are still being made for the PS4. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
That's how I feel about this launch. I'll be watching with interest, but not the usual pre-order anxiety. After nearly snapping the plastic in half upgrading the M.2 SSD and downloading several TB of games, I think I'm good for a while. I'm mostly happy with the performance, and while I think some improvements could be dramatic, most will be incremental and require you to be a foot away from your screen to see. :biggrin:

The pre-order system from Sony that Morgan mentioned was pretty awesome too, so I hope they do something like that again (or they don't need to).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since I have a PS4 from 2016, buying the next PS5Pro nearly nine years later in early 2025 doesn’t seem unreasonable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks