Sony PS5 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hanging an issue with my new PS5

Purchased a new 77”OLED. Was working fine till yesterday and then no picture.

Have tried everything I can think of. Different hdmi cable, hdmi port, different power plug. Unplugged everything. Still no picture.

Tried my second PS5 and same result. Both PS5 work fine on another 4K set.

Other devices work fine on same hdmi input.

I’m stumped. Any ideas?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Are you going right from the PS5 into the TV or passing through something else like a receiver? Do you get sound but no picture?

I had a similar issue a while back and it was due to 2 things at once: too many pass-throughs (PS5 to receiver to wall plate to another wall plate to TV; signal loss and digital handshake issue) and my PS5 being set to the highest HDR setting (which was not able to be passed through all the connections). Try connecting the PS5 directly to the TV to see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise, try using it on another TV and change your video output settings to the minimum, then try it again on the new TV.

Also check that the TV and PS5 have the latest firmware updates.

If none of that works: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/safe-mode-playstation/

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Anyone catch the Sony's State of Play yesterday? Here are all the trailers. These are the games in the list I'm most excited about:
  • Death Stranding 2 - On the Beach: More insanity from Kojima. I know this series is insufferable to some, but I love the deliberate, moody, non-combat-centered gameplay and overwrought storytelling of Death Stranding. The trailer was mostly extended clips of a few cutscenes.

• Dragon's Dogma 2: Dark Arisen was a fascinating, complex, atmospheric, 3rd person fantasy action RPG experience that I still can't wrap my head around. It's often needlessly obtuse for the sake of immersion. But we have some time before the sequel comes out. I'm excited for this one.

• Judas: "A disintegrating starship. A desperate escape plan. You are the mysterious and troubled Judas." I have no idea what's happening in this trailer for the new FPS from Ken Levine's studio, but unsurprisingly it sure looks a lot like Bioshock. I liked Bioshock, so hopefully this will be good.

• Rise of the Ronin: Set in mid-nineteenth-century Japan during the Boshin war, this is an action-oriented open world RPG. Looks to be more of the same polished, technical, and difficult combat action we've come to expect from Team Ninja. I'm a sucker for games set during historical time periods. Fingers crossed it has an easy mode.

• Sonic X Shadow Generations: I'm excited about this one because it comes with a full remastered version of SONIC GENERATIONS. It also has a new story campaign.

• Stellar Blade: This is a PS5 exclusive from Sony. Post-apocalyptic action combat with some seriously excellent over-the-top visuals. Some people have compared it to Nier: Automata, but this seems to be more cinematic (and perhaps melodramatic) than that game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I am very, very over the aesthetic and story concept of games like Stellar Blade. Which I guess is to say I'm over the anime-style stuff.

Sonic? Not much interest, but it's good to see Sega actually managing the franchise well for a change.

Judas looks like its trying too hard to be Bioshock without being Bioshock. Coming from Ken Levine, all I can think of is the horror stories from people who worked for him and how it will probably be just okay.

Silent Hill stuff is cool I guess but one remake with no date and a free to play game aren't too exciting.

Rise of the Ronin looked great until I saw all the "explore the town, meet people" stuff. That's the kind of open-world bloat that is ruining modern AAA games and I hope developers move on from it being the standard.

Death Stranding 2 looks bonkers but I haven't played 1 yet. Dragon's Dogma 2, same but not my kind of thing.

Announcing a new Kojima spy game is cool but then he described it in a way that sounded bad and it won't likely come out until like 2027 if I had to guess.

EDIT: And who can forget Helldivers 2 (which looked very "PS3 launch-era online game" in style/marketing)? I certainly forgot it existed from the previous time they announced it.

I am looking forward to the FF7 Rebirth SoP next week, though.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The Kojima spy game looks intriguing, but I will be especially excited if it turns out to be a laserdisc-style FMV game like Mad Dog McCree. 😆

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are you going right from the PS5 into the TV or passing through something else like a receiver? Do you get sound but no picture?

I had a similar issue a while back and it was due to 2 things at once: too many pass-throughs (PS5 to receiver to wall plate to another wall plate to TV; signal loss and digital handshake issue) and my PS5 being set to the highest HDR setting (which was not able to be passed through all the connections). Try connecting the PS5 directly to the TV to see if that fixes the issue. Otherwise, try using it on another TV and change your video output settings to the minimum, then try it again on the new TV.

Also check that the TV and PS5 have the latest firmware updates.

If none of that works: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/safe-mode-playstation/
Tried all that. Surprisingly it WAS the hdmi cable. I had changed it a few times and finally I used a monster hdmi cable and that worked. Weird.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Was it an HDMI version mismatch? Like you needed a 1.4 but had a 1.2 or something? It's very annoying to me that they created a wonderful standard with HDMI but then failed to just make it so every cable is the same version from the beginning.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I sold my PS5 yesterday. Baldur’s Gate 3, while initially entertaining, quickly became a chore to play. I put in just over 100 hours and eventually gave up halfway through act 2. I played about 20 hours of Gran Turismo 7 but it just didn’t enthrall me like GT2 had done 25 years ago on the original PlayStation. Nothing else looked remotely entertaining so I decided to sell and use that money for other things.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kojima's game trailers always look stunning and cinematic. He spends so much time trying to make his games cinematic that he forgets to make them fun to play. Death Stranding was just an exercise in tedium. I deleted the game after a few hours playing it. It was dull.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
PS5 Pro to release later this year,

They have barely put out anything that uniquely requires the first generation PS5 and they are looking at releasing a pro. What for? They have hardly supported the one they have now. And don't get me started on their lackluster support of the PSVR2.

Sony's support for this generation of console has been abysmal.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Edwin - if you're looking at Sony-published PS5-only games, then the list really is incredibly small. But when you look at how well Horizon and God of War run, and you look at how good the PSVR2 is, I think it's still a worthy investment to go from PS4 to PS5.

That said, I'm not sure what level of demand there is for a PS5 Pro, either. In the end, it's a business and they make the most money by putting out games into the widest user base possible. That's why a so-so Nintendo release on the Switch will guarantee tens of millions of sales even thought its a 7 year old handheld but a Xbox Series X exclusive will be lucky to break one million before the media coverage moves on. Even if Sony is releasing games on PS4 and PS5 at the same time, the PS5 versions absolutely shine.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I also am completely baffled at a Pro PS5 release already. Support issues aside, no software has really been released yet that really taps into or strains what the base PS5 can do. So what the hell is the need for a 'pro'? PS4 games have anchored down any innovation on the PS5 for so long, we are just now starting to get PS5 exclusives. I'm still waiting for a single PS5 exclusive game that looks anywhere close to the tech displayed in 'The Matrix Awakenings' demo.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I also am completely baffled at a Pro PS5 release already. Support issues aside, no software has really been released yet that really taps into or strains what the base PS5 can do. So what the hell is the need for a 'pro'? PS4 games have anchored down any innovation on the PS5 for so long, we are just now starting to get PS5 exclusives. I'm still waiting for a single PS5 exclusive game that looks anywhere close to the tech displayed in 'The Matrix Awakenings' demo.
The only thing I can think of is 60 FPS in Highest graphics fidelity--locked.
I can't speak to PS5, but on the Series X it is usually one or the other.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Series X is held back by the Series S. Microsoft mandated that any Xbox games be able to function on both systems without missing features unless it's enhanced graphics, which means developers have to scale back some games and put in more time.

PS5 games that also release on PS4 are a little different since that's a dev/publisher business decision instead of a Sony platform mandate. That said, the handful of PS5 exclusive games are both stunning AND really good. But it's a bit disappointing to some people that we don't have any full 4K/HDR/60fps games (I personally don't care).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Series X is held back by the Series S. Microsoft mandated that any Xbox games be able to function on both systems without missing features unless it's enhanced graphics, which means developers have to scale back some games and put in more time.

PS5 games that also release on PS4 are a little different since that's a dev/publisher business decision instead of a Sony platform mandate. That said, the handful of PS5 exclusive games are both stunning AND really good. But it's a bit disappointing to some people that we don't have any full 4K/HDR/60fps games (I personally don't care).
None of it matters to me. Better graphics is all I care about. 60 FPS is fucking awful. I hate it!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Wait, you hate 60 fps because it usually means lower resolution or because its too smooth?

In my experience, I would much rather have 60 fps than 30 but with 4K.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What kind of games are you interested in, generally? Do you play on any other platforms?
The games that I have enjoyed playing in the past are mostly turn-based RPGs (D&D games on PC, and early Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest) with some driving games and a few Metroidvanias and some rogue-like games like the Diablo series. I don’t currently play on any other platform and am focusing my limited free time solely on movies and music now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks