What's new

UHD Sony needs your input for "Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2" (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm surprised they even bothered asking about The Lady from Shanghai, Lost Horizon, You Can't Take It With You, or Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Lady has a ton of opticals, the two Capras are from a patchwork of sources, and FF was rendered in 720p.

However, count me in for UHDs of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, A Matter of Life and Death, His Girl Friday (Criterion inexplicably used an older transfer), and Punch-Drunk Love.

One recommendation I made is that if they're doing another box set, instead of a DVD with a documentary, why not a Blu-ray of award-winning or nominated Columbia short films and cartoons?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I know this won't happen but I'd love to see a BD or DVD set of Columbia's more obscure '30s mysteries like The Menace, Night of Terror and the Ninth Guest. I suppose were it to happen it would be via Sony's Mill Creek deal.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I requested A Matter of Life and Death, Cromwell and Kramer vs Kramer for the three.

I suggested in the notes: Adventures of Tintin, Black Book, Das Boot, China Syndrome, Midnight Express, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Woman in Black.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Curious that Columbia did not include some high profile classic titles that are available in 4K digital such as "The Big Chill," "The Way We Were" and "1776." In the comments following my list choices, I suggested that Columbia consider "Oliver!" and "A Passage to India."

Reactions: PMF

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I suggested in the notes: Adventures of Tintin, Black Book, Das Boot, China Syndrome, Midnight Express, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and The Woman in Black.

I absolutely love The Holy Grail, but come on. Does anyone really think that this low budget film will benefit from being in 4K? It's always looked rough due to its low budget. Heck, it had such a low budget that the Pythons couldn't even afford to use real horses! ;)

I did submit four suggestions, since I couldn't submit the form without filling in those two sections and I really wanted to give them the feedback that this customer did not buy Volume One but would have bought one of the films in the set if it had been released individually. Three of my suggestions were The Guns of Navarone, From Here to Eternity, and On The Waterfront -- I cannot remember what I submitted for the fourth title.

While there are quite a few fine films on the form, and I own many of them already on BD, I just don't see where I would want to spend over $100 to upgrade any of them to 4K. I recently bought The Guns of Navarone in 4K (no HDR) on Vudu for $5 and watched it a few nights ago. It really looked no better than my BD version upscaled to 4K. It's always been a rough-looking film, too, and I doubt that a 4K/UHD disc would make it any better looking.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Why wasn't "Oliver !" a choice ? I wrote it in the comments section....Seems more worthy of a 4K release than many of the other titles listed

I concur. The Blu-ray releases have not been satisfactory, considering it was an Oscar-winner and a delightful family musical.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Why is one random Muppet movie with Sony rather than Disney?
It's not just one.
Disney acquired the Muppets intellectual property from Henson for $75 million on February 17, 2004. The acquisition consisted of most of the Muppets film and television library, as well as the Bear in the Big Blue House television series. Exceptions included the Sesame Street characters; the Fraggle Rock characters, which were retained by Henson; and the distribution rights to four films: The Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets from Space, and Kermit's Swamp Years, which were retained by Sony Pictures Entertainment; and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, retained by NBCUniversal Television Distribution.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So I guess no one wants an Archer production in 4k.

Two problems with that.

First, I'm not certain how much would be gained in 4k.

Second, it shouldn't be part of a super-duper, look at us, history of Columbia set.

It was a UK production, distributed here as Stairway to Heaven, as I recall, by Universal. I believe Columbia acquired the rights as part of a potential remake deal.

I'm not averse to any Archers production coming out in 4k, just not as an odd dangling participle to a set.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore

Nice to see some love for Picnic.
My choices: Funny Girl, Picnic, Rent

I think that Picnic and (especially) Funny Girl need definitive editions. Kim Novak and Barbra Streisand won't be around forever, unfortunately. I was surprised to see Rent on the list, given how many people hated it (I loved it). It definitely needs to be re-done. The blu ray is long out-of-print and the streaming version is in the wrong ratio (1.85 instead of 2.35) on all platforms.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My purchased support of Volume One was with the idea that this would be a positive action towards the advancement of future restorations and a continued advancement on the 4K front.

In truth, though, my only immediate interests were for “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Gandhi”; with “Strangelove” and “Smith” being only of cursory interest as to how a 4K/UHD may have upped the visual game; as the BD’s are already quite fine.

All in all, though, whatever selections Sony/Columbia chooses to put forth should always include an option for the a-la-carte stand-alone titles on the same exact day that a boxed set appears on the market. After all, home entertainment releases should be of a pleasurable event for the consumer, rather than one in which an individual is left with a feeling of being stalemated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks