What's new

Sony KP-57HW40 picture settings? (1 Viewer)

Richard_E

Agent
Was wondering if someone could tell me how they have setup their picture settings (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro).

I bought an AVIA disk and made some tweaks, but am not confident in my abilities to assess.

A couple questions:

1. Which setting did you alter using calibration? I altered "standard" but left the others the same.

2. Can you tell me approximate settings you use for each mode so I can compare?

3. I heard "vivid" is too bright for use and risks burn-in. Should I reset that to something like standard so no one can accidentally use it?

thanks for patience with a newbie!

-Richard

Richard_E

Agent
Come on guys....I can't be the only one with a Sony! I can't afford professional ISF cal right now, so I want to get the AVIA cal portion correct, at least.

The problem is...the picture looks pretty dang awesome to me already, and when I walk through AVIA, I find I'm not really changing much.

Help!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Richard,

I calibrated my 57HW40 in Pro mode first, as svm is turned off in this mode. I use Pro for watching dvds in a fairly dark room.

My settings for Pro are as follows, expressed as a percentage of the maximum setting

Picture-30%

Brightness-57%

Color-35%

Hue-centered

Sharpness-30%

Color temp-Warm.

Keep in mind that each individual set will be a bit different, so using someone else's exact settings won't necessarily give you the best possible picture. These Sonys have very good quality control though, so within a few clicks for each setting should do ya.

I have the other modes set up for progressively brighter room lighting, with progressively higher picture settings for each mode, maxing out at about 45% in Standard. Other settings are pretty much the same as for Pro, except that brightness is a couple of clicks higher for standard and I have color temp set at "neutral" for Standard. I don't use Vivid, but did turn picture down to 45% in that mode.

I use Movie for HD and DirecTV stuff, and Standard for my mediocre analog cable.

SVM gets progressively more intense as you go from pro thru to vivid.

I have turned off SVM in the service menu for all modes except standard, where I have it reduced to the lowest level. I have also tweaked out the red push in the service menu.

Check out the Sony Tweaks section over at Home Theater Spot for a lot of good tips on the HW40. Be advised that there are some extremem tweakers that do things you may not be prepared to mess with. I found the svm and red push fixes were all I really felt any need to mess with, my convergence is great.

I was able to increase color from the 35% listed above to 45% without having blooming sunburned looking faces, which made other colors more vivid.

I originally bought an Hitachi widescreen set last Sept. played with it for 2 weeks and could not get as good a picture as my old analog Hitachi rptv.

Gave up and exchanged for the Sony, and am one happy camper. This set is about as good as they come within 1500 of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks