What's new

Sony DVP-9000ES vs. Panasonic DVD-RP91 (1 Viewer)

LorenzoD

Agent
These two DVD players seem to be the most talked about around here, so I was wondering which one I should get...
Would anyone who has experience with both of these care to provide a side-by-side comparison?
(I'd even be interested in hearing from you if you've only used one of these players.)
This player will be used on my 27" Sony Trinitron for now, but will eventually be partnered with a 40" Sony Wega. A man can dream, right? :D

Nick Cicutti

Auditioning
With your 27" Sony either of these players is probably overkill. I presume that you would use s-video or component inputs, if your Sony model has this. Under these conditions and with the limited screen real estate provided you are not likely to see any real differences in image quality once the players are properly set up. The Sony has (stereo) SACD capability which sounds terrific if your sound system is of high quality. The Panny has mutichannel DVD-audio capability which can also sound unbelievable in the right system. If and when you upgrade your display, you may or may not be able to detect real differences in image quality using the direct progressive scan outputs into your display. Both are (in my opinion) very good with very little to differentiate between them image wise. They both use the Genesis deinterlacing chipset, which while fine with most film material, tends to fall somewhat short with video based sources. For me this is not a major concern, but for some others it can be. The Sony has the chroma bug, which once again I don't lose any sleep over. The Sony being a very soon to be discontinued model is now available at much reduced prices, if you can still find them. Objectively, the Panny is the better value and probably the one I would recommend all things considered. That said, I still prefer the Sony, because it offers excellent image quality, is built better, with superior (quality) circuitry and because I love the difference that SACD makes in my system.

nc

LorenzoD

Agent
Are there any inherent advantages to SACD compared with DVD-A, or vice versa?

Are there any other reasonably priced players that can compete with or eclipse these players?

While I do admit that either of these players is overkill with my current display, I do plan on upgrading. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Lorenzo, one of my favorite audio stores is in SLC, you should check out Audition Audio, they have some great stuff. Also they carry the Sony 9000es, so I am sure they would being anxious to talk about the issue (I think that they like SACD more than DVD-A) last time I asked.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Lorenzo,

I have had the Sony 9000ES and now have the Pani RP91(Needed the scaling feature). I found no difference in video and audio quality bewteen the two. Some will tell you otherwise. For the money, the RP-91 is a better value in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Sony 9000 is built like a tank, and is an exception piece of hardware. It's also twice the price.

LorenzoD

Agent
So, since the Sony 9000ES does not have the automatic scaling of anamorphic content feature, how difficult is it to make this change manually?

Does anyone "in the know" think Panasonic will come out with a firmware update to address the various problems that are often discussed in this forum?

Is there anything better out there or looming on the horizon?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lorenzo,

I own both units and both have their advantages. There's another thread in this section that talks about the RP91 and it contains the major gripes. I use both machines because one has DVD-A capability (the RP91) and the other plays SACD (2 channel). In my estimation, I prefer 2 channel SACD over DVD-A for overall clarity. And now that I am using better equipment to listen (I replaced my Denon 5700 with an Outlaw 950 pre/pro and all separate amps) the difference is, in my estimation, even greater.

The 9000 plays redbook (regular) CDs better than the RP91 and I also prefer the overall picture produced by the 9000 on my 110" screen. But both pictures are very nice and once you get under 50" or so you probably can't tell them apart.

The 9000 is built much more ruggedly than the RP-91 (It costs over twice as much) and it also responds much more quickly. The 9000 has a remaining time feature (as does just about every other DVD player out there - Panasonic really blew it with this ommission for the RP91, and not their other models!)

The RP91 has the auto aspect feature (when the DVDs contain the correct flags) which is a nice convenience.

I'm not sorry that I have both machines, because now I have access to both SACD and DVD-A. If I were to do it all over again I might be looking at a combo SACD/DVD-A player (since I don't have 5.1 SACD capability) and then I wouldn't have to deal with bass management issues.

The bottom line - if I want to show off the best picture in my HT (outside of HDTV of course which surpasses even DVD) I use the 9000.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I agree that both are fine machines, but my preference went with the Panasonic RP-91. A friend of mine lent me his 9000 for a month, so I had a fair amount of time with both players. I also had the luxury of comparing these two players with two different monitors. Both my Toshiba 65H80 and Sharp 9000 DLP projector are ISF calibrated...and my calibrator was here to help me optimize settings for both players on both monitors. We found the Panasonic to give a sharper picture with very accurate colors. The 9000 was softer, which I have heard, is a Sony characteristic. I will definitely agree that the Sony is a better audio machine overall. The RP-91 is feels like it was made of tin compared to the Sony though. The deal-maker for me was the scaling feature of the Panasonic. I have enough non-anamorphic DVDs in my collection to warrant the necessity of this feature in my homw theaters. Interlaced picture is also reference quality in the 91...as numerous ISF calibrators shared this opinion when I spoke with a few of them at CES earlier this year.

As I stated my opinion earlier, you really cannot go wrong with either player

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks