What's new

Sony 50 inch LCD or Samsung 50 DLP (1 Viewer)

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
From what a local dealer told me....

The Sony GWIII LCD screens are made by LG, thats Lucky Goldstar in South Korea, and then supplied to Sony. LG has already started to sell this set on their own and will stop supplying Sony. Sony will take production to another facility, perhaps Mexico or elsewhere soon. Sony has also layed off nearly 50,000 people worldwide in the last couple of years. In the short run the supply of the GWIII may become limited.

From what little I've seen, I prefer the Samsung DLP over the Sony GWIII. Color saturation seems to be better as well as contrast. In any case, I would wait until the next generation comes out.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I see the two screens every day at work, and I'd also go with the Samsung. pictures looks richer, a little more depth to images...but both are certainly gorgeous displays.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after about 2 months of debating which TV to get. I went with the 50 inch Samsung DLP. Eyes are simply in love with the display it produces. Will be delivered monday so as soon as I'm up and running I will let everyone know what I think with the unit in my own place. Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions stated in this thread. Many thanks to you all.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Well, after about 2 months of debating which TV to get. I went with the 50 inch Samsung DLP. Eyes are simply in love with the display it produces. Will be delivered monday so as soon as I'm up and running I will let everyone know what I think with the unit in my own place. Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions stated in this thread. Many thanks to you all.
If you are going to be sitting up close to your set, like 8ft or less away, do not purchase a LCD or DLP set, in my opinion the picture looks so unnatural and you can see all the flaws, screen door, blurry images on motion scenes, blocky pictures and other artifacts like jaggies.

Fixed pixel display look really good at a distant, very colorful, sharp and bright, but lack good black level and detail, some blacks look washed out and kind of gray, sort of like my LCD computer monitor.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, finally got my Samsung 50 inch DLP....the set is absolutely beautiful, however, one flaw.

There are 3 component jacks. 1 for 480i/480p and 2 for 480p/720p/1080i.

My PS2 can go in the 480i/480p slot, no problem. However, the XBOX and PS2 must have 480i to open it's dashboard interface and the other two component jacks don't have that so it has not supported mode until a game is put in and then it loads fine. I must be able to view the dashboard on the XBOX and PS2 sometimes obviously to make adjustments and access my memory card. Now I could put it in the 480i/480p and everything will come up, but the games in 720p and 1080i wouldn't be at their full potential. I'm looking at a way to get 480i to come up on the 2 component jacks that don't have it listed, but no luck just yet. If anyone has this TV and has overcome this, PLEASE let me know otherwise I may have to take it back. 75% of the TV's useage will be gaming so I don't want to be switching cables or not using it to their fullest potential.

Thanks

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I think you're stuck buddy. I read somewhere in the last few days where it says that is the biggest flaw in the sets capabilities. You will have to either manually switch the cables or buy a switch that still requires a flick of the wrist from the un-seated position. This is a pain in the neck that I too am not looking forward to, but I will overcome it for the beauty of visual quality.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
What about hooking up the DVD player to the 480p/720p/1080i. Don't some DVD's display menus in 480i. That would also pose a problem, would it not?

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, DVD's do use both formats. Samsung specifically made that port for DVD's, I'm sure of it. The other two were for the other 2 HD sources available (video games and HDTV signals). I've got a question in to Samsung right noe on it to see if this is something that can fixed the the "upgradeable" set. Still a bummer.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Good deal John. Let me know what you come up with. Also, another possibility...perhaps there is a small conversion box that will upconvert a 480i signal to 480p. If this exists, then our problems are solved. Of course I wouldn't need a huge box, something for maybe one or two component hookups. Does what I suggested even exist?

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
The crazy thing is, unless I misunderstood, was that the Sammy DLP's upconvert ALL video signals to the native 720p resolution. If it so, why the problems with 480i??

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Good question...and it's only the menu screens or dashboards that won't load. Games will eventually kick on on the 480p/720p/1080i mode, just no menus. I may just look into getting the HDTV Up Convertor box. Well worth it I think. Let me know what Samsung replies with you on that issue.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Well Justin, we are screwed. Samsung said there is no way around it until the new sets drop mid-year 2004. Oh well. I don't spend alot of time in the dashboard interface anyway so I think I'll be ok. You?

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Ah well...I could return the TV and wait for the next generation TV's, but who knows how much they will be asking for on those. I'm fine with the TV I have now.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and like I said earlier...I can just get an HDTV Upconvertor box. I'm guessing the prices on those will go down quite a bit here in a few months.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
There sure seems to be a lot of talk about sound delays in the AVS Forum with the Samsung owners?:frowning:

Check it out for yourself.

AVS Forum-Display Devices-Rear Projection Units...

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,

Any experiences with sound delays on your Sammy? Where have you found an upconverter that takes the 480i to 480p? Thanks!

** Scratch that, I just found one. I dunno about it though, a little expensive for what it would take to interface the dashboard every now and again. The one I saw was $600.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Thank God none of those issues have been a factor on my TV. Only one is the XBOX dashboard not showing up and that's minor. The HDTV Upconvertor is expensive. Not even worried about that anytime soon. The price will decrease. For those that are complaining about the DLP, you've got to consider the conditions of the user. Always a major factor obviously. I'm going to just double check again for the next couple of weeks and see if I spot anything. Only concern I do have is the lamp going out. But I'm not constantly turning my TV off and on. If I turn it on, I make sure to be using it for some time before turning it back off. I've got the cables running pretty good, not tangles and the TV is well vented so I'm not too worried.

With all the new TV's coming out, there is a flaw in every single one of them. Samsung didn't get rewards for neglecting their TV's. I'm pleased with what I've got out of it so far and I still have 20 something more days to take it back if I run into any problems. Will update if I do have any.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
1 week report! Have now noticed flaws and it's enough to effect the enjoyement of the tv...

I'm being honest here for future potential buyers of the Samsung DLP so they are not surprised what they receive when they have purchased the TV.

I'm getting less and less confident with this TV. I have now noticed the very, very small delay in sound, but a delay nonetheless. Mostly by looking at the lips of people talking and notice the dialogue is off. I'm very picky and catching that is annoying and takes away from the movie. Also the idea of 480i/480p on one input and 480p/720p/1080i on another I thought I could get use too, but realized I need my dashboards on my games more than I thought. So I won't even need my 30 day trial because I'm days away from calling in and having this TV picked up. So here I am looking for a TV to replace the awesome quality of this one minus the flaws it carries. Samsung unfortunately has stated there is no fix for the delay issue and that it will be something not to worry about on the next model. Which, I'm assuming, will cost more. Like stated in many posts before this one, the Sony LCD is still a beautiful TV and everyone is raving about it. However, I'm wanting the XBR 50 LCD, but I can't seem to find anyone who has it. Ultimate Electronics seems to pulled all their Sony LCD's and Best Buy and Crutchfield only carry the standard 50 inch LCD. So I'll continue looking unless any of you know something about this TV I don't. Thanks for reading

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read it produces a brighter picture, and deeper blacks. I've seen the 60 inch XBR and was blown away, but too big for my apartment. Unless you've witnessed that there is not much difference in the 50 inches?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks