What's new

New Consumer Reports Ratings: Some Real Surprises! (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Biggest surprise: No tests of DLP or LCoS, SXRD sets! Stay tuned (so to speak), next month they will be testing more flat panels and TV types.

LCD 40>
1) Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1
2) JVC LT-40X787
3) Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000
4) Westinghouse LVM-42W2
7) Sharp Aquos LC-45D40U
8) Samsung LN-S4092D

Plasma 50 inch (top 5 all very good)
1) Fujitsu P50XTA51UB ($5,500)
2) LG 50PC1DR ($3,300), built-in DVR
3) HP PL5060N ($2,600)
4) Panasonic TH-50PX60U ($3,100)
5) Zenith Z50PX2D ($2,500)

Note: These ratings are hard to interpret, and some of these sets may be very difficult to find. For example, Fujitsu excels only in sound quality.

42 Inch Plasma slightly different:

1) Fujitsu P42XTA51US $4,500 = sound quality
2) HP PL4260N $1,700
3) Panasonic TH42PX60U $2,100
6) Samsung HP-S5053 $2,200

Again, these ratings are hard to interpret, Panasonic actually best choice, but sound quality is not quite up to par.

Please feel free to ask about these or others and for more details of the ratings. As I said, they are not as simple as they might seem.

They also tested 37 and 32 inch LCDs. Anyone with questions on these sizes, just ask.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yes Jeremy

But as an example, a Forum member recently got the Panasonic TH-50PX60U and found the on-board speakers (that is what they mean by sound quality), to be inadequate. So he found a Panasonic HT SC 40 system to provide good audio for the TV. For his own reasons, tying the TV to a full-blown HT audio system wasn't a good way to go, but he found the HT SC 40 for $160 and it meets his needs well.

Hope this helps

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Hey Art, thanks for posting. Looks like the Westinghouse isn't as bad as you thought it was :)

But seriously, thanks for posting. It looks like perhaps the Westinghouse is at least worth considering against some of the bigger names.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Seth

No, not as bad, however, it is a clear step below the top-rated Sony for DVD and SD TV, and reliability of the Westinghouse is a complete unknown. Never the less, for someone on a limited budget, the Westinghouse is a reasonable choice.

Rolando

I will post the 32 inch sometime in the next 24 hours.

Rolando

Screenwriter
thanks dude.

I am actually curious to see how the JVC LT-32X887 measures up against the others.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
"42 Inch Plasma slightly different:

1) Fujitsu P42XTA51US $4,500 = sound quality
2) HP PL4260N $1,700
3) Panasonic TH42PX60U $2,100
6) Samsung HP-S5053 $2,200"

The Samsung S5053 is a 50" plasma, so is it a typo in the wrong category or the wrong model number. This is the set I am on the fence with.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dan, my bad, the Samsung is HP-S4253, and is way off the mark compared to the Panny. A clear step below in HD, DVD, and SD TV. For a couple hundred more bucks, (if that is the case), get the Panny. Panasonic is in their 9th generation of plasma. Samsung is a newcomer. Samsung made a poor showing with both LCD and Plasma. Whether they shine with DLP or not, I'll let you know in a month, if at all possible.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
32 Inch LCD

Sony Bravia KDL-V32XBR1
JVC LT-32-X787
Sony Bravia KDL-32S2000
Toshiba 32HL66
Panasonic TC-32LX60
Sharp LS-32DA5U
Panasonic TC-32LX600
Samsung LN-S3251D
Westinghouse LTV-32W4 HDC
LG 32LC20N
Magnavox 32MF231D/37

The recommended models are the top 6 on the list, and the Westinghouse, and the Magnavox.

There are even more they tested, but the rest are also-rans, but if anyone has a specific model, I will check and see if they tested it.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Arthur,

I am having a hard time seeing the improvement of the Panasonic TH-50PX60U over the Samsung S5053. I have seen them both next to each other at circuit City, BB Magnolia, and Ultimate Electronics(granted, I am at the limitation of the feed, tv settings, etc..... I have purchase many items from my Ultimate Electronics guy over the past 10 years and I trust him. He likes the Samsung as well. I clearly like the Samsung pic over the Panny, second only to the elites and in my opinion, I can't justify $2200-2500 more fro the 720p elites! I know the Panny's are well like here and at avs forum, but my eyes tell me other. Are you worried about potential problems down the line? Please expand on your love for Panasonic! This is a serious request.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
No problem Dan.

This is one perception of mine. BB and CC are pushing Samsung. It is very easy to adjust one set to look its best and the other to look its worst.

Consumer Reports has professional video engineers who are trained viewers. Gregg Loewen who is a Moderator on this forum did an ISF a while back for CR and was pretty impressed with the whole program. They test all sets under identical conditions, which doesn't happen anywhere else!

They use trained viewers. Testing just doesn't get much better than that.

There is a reason Panasonic is the run-away favorite everywhere. It delivers the goods. They tested it against the Fujitsu that costs $5,500 and it had just as good a picture. The Samsung rated a clear step below in picture quality on HD and DVD. What more can I say?

It boils down to taking a leap of faith. Anyway it's not like buying a house. You can exchange it if you really don't like it :)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, I appreciate your answer. I will return again to re-evaluate the Panny. Do you prefer the 600 or the 60U and why. I have an excellent 5.1 system that I currently have with my 35" Sony non hd tv so speakers are not important to me. I know I can read hours over at AVS but I sometimes feel that some of those guys spend more time on the site than watching their tvs!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dan

I am not in the market for a plasma, so I have not really looked into the 60 vs 600. I think the 60 outsells the 600 by 40 to 1.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Wow, JVC in the top 3? in between 2 Sonys?

I wonder if it is there simply for all the inputs available or if PQ really rivals those other models in the top 6.

I was looking at the JVC LT-32-X887. I looked at the specs on the web and only difference seems to be the fact that the JVC LT-32-X787 is silver and $100 more for the JVC LT-32-X887 which is black.

Are they the same panel? Sadly I would pay the $100 even if the only difference is the black.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Rolando

The JVC absolutely deliver the goods, it is not about the number of inputs, it really is about picture quality.

Rather than spending the extra $100 for the black bezel, please give this a thought. For probably another $100-$200 (over the silver JVC), you could move up to the top rated, Sony Bravia which is a clear step above the JVC with HD, DVD, and sound quality from the built-in speakers.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I really like my 50" Toshiba plasma, but of course i have no clue how they would rate. I did read that Toshiba used Panasonic parts and that a good thing, but thats all i know. It also on occasion doesnt do a good job with color gradation, but other times its perfect. I guess CR doesnt have any love for Toshiba :). All in all it was the best 3,000 i spent. You never go to the movies after you buy a TV like it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Rick

You are lucky you got your Toshiba plasma when you did!

From what I have been reading, Toshiba no longer is using Panasonic innards. Apparently much lower line innards now.

Glad you like your Tosh. The one you have is really good, and I have a 65 inch Tosh CRT RPTV.

kuliddar

Agent
I think sound quality from the TVs are starting to be a non-issue. If one invests a few thousands for a widescreen TV, whether be LCD, plasma, dlp, etc, he usually has the home theater behind it to. Even in a bedroom or a kitchen I doubt you need super sound for a, say 32" screen. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks