What's new

Something TV homes rarely have (stumper) (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Screen door? I don't think I woulda guessed that. I went to go watch a sitcom this afternoon to see if I could spot anything missing, and the only thing on was Hanging with Mister Cooper. Their living room had everything I could think of, furtniture, stereo, computer, coffee table, planet, lamps, TV and a Fireplace.
One somewhat odd thing in most sitcoms that take place in a house is how the general design is pretty similar throughout. A front door that leads almost directly into the living room, stairs leading from the living room to the upstairs floor, and a door (usually swinging) that leads directly to the kitchen.
I understand the reasonings behind designing a set like this, but I can't think of a single house I've been in that is anything like this.
------------------

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
didn't the bradys have a sliding glass door leading onto the patio and the backyard? if so that would necessitate a screen door....
and I somehow remember at least on the cosby show they also had a staircase down to the kitchen as well, correct?
------------------
McPaul.
ICQ McPaul 121412168
[email protected]
"Would you like an extra large McPaul to go with that shake?"
McPaul is Canadian.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
All this talk about the Brady bunch reminded me of the movie (I've never seen the TV show) where there is a joke about how one of the neighbours had been over to their home once, and he never saw a... drum roll... toilet!
Even Married... with children doesn't have one, even though there seems to be at least one toilet joke every episode
------------------
Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
8 foot inflatable pickles?
------------------
B00005LC4P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305499128.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
0792846427.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
6305165912.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00003CXRM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
8 foot inflatable pickels from HTF member John Thomas
laugh.gif

------------------
God Bless America

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
One somewhat odd thing in most sitcoms that take place in a house is how the general design is pretty similar throughout. A front door that leads almost directly into the living room, stairs leading from the living room to the upstairs floor, and a door (usually swinging) that leads directly to the kitchen.
I understand the reasonings behind designing a set like this, but I can't think of a single house I've been in that is anything like this.
Graeme, when I lived in Sweden, I thought this was an odd design too... until I moved here; I've seen plenty of houses that are designed exactly like this. Maybe it's a California thing, since most sitcoms seems to originate from there (at least Arizona has a border with California :)). You're right, it also seems to be very convenient for sitcom storytelling.
/Mike

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Well, the first thing that came to me is a micro-wave. I can't remember seeing one in the BB or any newer show. I guess they all have time to cook. :)
------------------
Jeff Blair
AIM blairj2
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Phil Collins
biggrin.gif

Toliet Paper
Food
A Doorbell
Refridgerator
A lamp
A car
Clothes
biggrin.gif

damn this is a stumper :)
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
That's definitely a regional thing. I grew up in the Midwest, but have lived in CA for 20 years.
When my parents first visited CA, they were shocked that we had windows and doors that we opened without screens on them. No big deal here, because we have no bugs, flies, mosquitos - but in the Midwest, screens are absolutely required, or you'd be eaten alive.
I'd guess all the sets are CA-based, so they don't bother with screens - plus the camera esthetic would probably be "wrong", to film through doors or windows that might be opened, or shown with that extra "layer" of screen.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I can picture a screen door in my mind from the old show, Lassie. But it has been a loooong time since I've seen it and my mind is not as sharp as it used to be.

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Screens/Screen door???? Andy Griffith had one, so did Lassie, Beverly Hillbillies (old homestead), The Real McCoys, and many others I can't think of right now. Don't think the screen answer holds water.
laugh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks