What's new

Solution for fixing color on MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
For those who own the House of Wax/Mystery of the Wax Museum DVD, I think I figured a way to correct the color:

For those using PowerDVD or other DVD-ROM programs...

Turn the Color2 setting all the way to yellow (-32).

For others:

Adjust the yellow-blue balance so that the setting to yellow.

Here's is a demo:

I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate, but it does seem to be a little bit more correct. Comments are welcomed. (American Cinematographer frame from www.widescreenmuseum.com)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Jim,
I believe that the new transfer has juiced up the color, and even included color that was not available to the old 2-Strip Technicolor spectrum. The old laserdisc is more accurate.

But I happen to prefer the DVD. It just looks so filmlike in every other way, so I'm not upset with the tweaking.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I do remember noticing how neon-bright some of the colors seemed when I watched the DVD and wondering if they were accurate. Though, after seeing the beginning on TCM a month ago or so, the colors seemed the same as on the DVD.

Still, as basically a supplement on the House of Wax disc, I can't imagine they did too much to this.

Patrick's screen grab of the "correct" version looks like it's from American Cinematographer magazine. If so, 4 color printing is notorious for being all over the spectrum reproduction wise, so this would seem hardly to be clarification to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks