What's new

so how do you guys watch your collection? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I temper that OCD/Completionist thing with just how much I like the show or franchise as a whole. Yes, I have movies and seasons of TV shows I don't anticipate ever watching again - but they are there *should I chose to do so*. For me *that* is a huge factor.

I was at my son's house sometime back and "stuck" with only Netflix for viewing choices. They had little I wanted to watch at the time with *all* of it being available to me at home, on disc. It was the week of Christmas and there were *no* "classic" Christmas movies available - good or bad. I watched some ST:TOS and Fawlty Towers as those were the only two series I found I'd watch (I love both but wasn't truly in the mood for either - I wanted a "classic" Christmas movie which they didn't offer). Go forward a bit and I have Amazon Prime, they add "free" streaming. There's quite a bit of material but little of interest that I don't already own. I *have* used it to sample a few things but it's mostly stuff I'd have purchased anyway.

I have a huge movie/TV library for the same reason I have a huge music library. I can watch what *I* want, *when* I want, without commercial interruption. And it'll still be there tomorrow or next week or next year. I've already had a couple of things I'd lined up to watch on Amazon simply go away with no rental or purchase option (not that I'd do that anyway). From what I read, stuff comes and goes on Netflix very regularly - much like it does on Amazon.

Yes, I get "more bang for the buck" with TVonDVD but *still* purchase movies which interest me or that I saw growing up and want to see again. The vast majority of what I want to watch of both are *not* on any streaming service.

I love having my collection at my fingertips for those reasons.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Even early on (circa 2011-2012), I realized a lot of shows/movies were not quite what I thought or remembered them to be from back in the day. But nevertheless, my ocd "compulsive collecting + completionist" type behavior still went into complete full overdrive, where I was still buying later seasons/sequels on dvd/bluray even though I found the earlier seasons/sequels were somewhat lackluster or outright awful. (The $5-$10 or less price tags didn't really help much, and largely further compounded my ocd compulsive buying behavior).

That's how I felt about the lack of Netflix-- when I had it, I could test-drive what a particular series of the past was like, and if I liked it, I would very likely purchase it in whatever release. Now, as I do not have Netflix, the only way I can see what a series is like is to purchase its releases (a lot of them have been the lot lately), and oftentimes, many such lot purchases (not all, fortunately) have been incredible wastes of money for me, because those particular series have been what I did not care for.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a tangent).

In regard to the replay value of movie dvd/bluray discs, prior to 2011 I already knew that almost no movie dvds had any replay value for me.

Back during the 2000s decade, I purchased some dvds of stuff I really liked from when I was younger, such as:

- Star Trek movies
- Terminator 1+2
- the original Total Recall
- Cheech and Chong
- Star Wars
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- etc ...

Even back then, I ended up watching these dvds only once (or never). I had no desire or interest to watch these dvds again.

In the end, I only ended up watching these same movies again, when they were played on basic cable or broadcast networks. For example, such as Star Wars when they were being played repeatedly on Spike during the mid-late 2000s.

Fast forward to 2011 when I first started buying a lot of dvds/blurays, I completely turned a blind eye to the fact that almost no movie dvds had any replay value for me. At the time in 2011, I was thinking "this time it will be different". But in the end, it was no different for me. :(

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've really been enjoying these posts on ownership and stories about your collections. It's really great of you guys to share.

(And I will gladly listen to space program stories anytime!)

I'm maybe a little bit younger than some here (33) but I've found that my collecting has changed in recent years - in general, I've become a bit more disciplined and focused about what I buy. The number of automatic purchases I make has gone down - for example, starting before I was teen I collected Stanley Kubrick movies on VHS, and I've upgraded them to DVD and then Blu. In the past, each new reissue would be an automatic purchase, because I love Kubrick movies and it felt like the "right" way to show I was a huge fan. But lately, I'm rethinking that - do I need to give Warner $100 for a new repackaging of the discs I already have or I'll lose my fan privileges? Of course not. So when the most recent Kubrick box came out, for the first time, I didn't rebuy. I didn't reflexively order the Criterion Strangelove, and I felt fine with that. (If it turns out there's something must-have on there I could get it, but the bigger point is that the Sony Blu-ray is already outstanding and I didn't need to automatically replace it). Cutting down on those types of purchases has been great for me all around. I'm also no longer automatically upgrading all DVDs to Blu-ray. If I want to watch the movie again and there's a good price on it, sure, but I'm not just doing it for the sake of it anymore.

A colleague of mine runs an eBay/Amazon business of listing and selling all sorts of things, so whenever I've piled up a few DVDs or Blus that I've upgraded, I give them to him to sell. And a couple times a year he gives me a check. I'm more happy just to have the extra space and not to have to deal with selling them myself, and every time I do get a check, it's a nice surprise.

But on the other hand, going to the movies has gotten so expensive where I live ($23 for an IMAX showing, which is usually my preferred format - but even a regular 2D movie is up to $16 in a lot of places here) that I've cut back on seeing movies on the big screen more than once. I loved the latest Captain America movie and would have seen it again - only I know it'll end up being around $20 for the 3D Blu-ray, so I skipped the second screening in theaters and preordered the disc. Even if I only watch the disc once or twice, in my mind it paid for itself because it was cheaper than seeing it in theaters again.

And because it's often more expensive to see something on the big screen than to buy something, I don't so feel bad when I run into a movie or TV show I want to try that isn't available on Netflix or as a streaming rental, and I have to blind buy the disc. On the TV side of things, the other week a thread here inspired me to want to watch the George Reeves "Adventures of Superman" show. Not free on Netflix, $2 an episode to buy on Amazon or iTunes digitally, or $10 for the season 1 DVD set, which breaks down to less than 50 cents an episode. Even if I never watch most of them a second time, that's not so bad.

2016: fewer impulsive upgrades, more bargain hunting!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I temper that OCD/Completionist thing with just how much I like the show or franchise as a whole.

This is actually a very complicated issue for me, especially in regard to replay value of various tv shows,

Over the past few years, there were many tv shows which initially appeared to be worthwhile dvd/bluray purchases to me. Though in the end, this "biggest bang for the buck" idea turned out to be completely illusionary to me for these particular tv shows. These were recent tv shows which I really liked a lot when I watched them in their first runs, such as:

- Person of Interest
- Orphan Black
- Defiance (seasons 1+2)
- Blacklist
- Helix (season 1)
- Nikita
- the revived Hawaii Five-0 (earlier seasons)
- Fringe (final few seasons)
- etc ...

For almost all of these shows, I watched each of the original first-run then-current episodes as many as 5+ times during the week(s) after their original broadcasts. So at the time, these episodes had a very high rewatch value for me. (Some episodes I even watched more than 10+ times when they were then-current, such as many episodes from season 3 of Person of Interest).

So I figured the dvd/bluray sets would also have a very high rewatch value for me. But in the end, these same tv shows' dvd/bluray season sets had almost no rewatch value for me. :(

As a result of these precise self observations, this is the main reason why over the past year or so I have abstained from purchasing any dvd/bluray sets of current tv shows which I have been watching every week, such as:

- 12 Monkeys
- Dark Matter
- Killjoys
- Person of Interest (season 5)
- Orphan Black
- Blacklist
- Reign
- the revived Hawaii Five-0
- Limitless
- Blindspot
- Scorpion
- Mr Robot
- Better Call Saul
- etc ...

From experience, I learned the hard way that very high rewatch value of then-current episodes on cable/broadcast, does not generally translate over to high rewatch value of the dvd/bluray versions for me. :(

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will rewatch episodes of a show more when it's on than after its run.

For Fringe and Lost, I would frequently rewatch episodes during the week as I waited for the next week's new episode. I've got the complete series sets for each show but I haven't watched them yet - but I'm pretty sure that one day I will. I just want enough time to elapse to where I don't remember every twist and turn by heart before I even start rewatching. For 24, I'd rewatch older seasons on DVD before each new season began.

When I like a current show, I like to immerse myself into its world by rewatching each new piece of the puzzle. But once it ends, I tend to shelve it for a while so that I can still be taken for a ride the next time I decide to watch it. When it's on the air all I want to do is watch it but when that ends I need to give some distance so that I don't wear it out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yes, I have movies and seasons of TV shows I don't anticipate ever watching again - but they are there *should I chose to do so*. For me *that* is a huge factor.

I think this is where you and I may differ greatly.

When I first started buying a lot of dvds/blurays in 2011, I was definitely thinking the same thing as you and probably would have been making the same arguments in support of it. :)

If I was a genuine hardcore movie/tv person at heart, I would probably still be using the same arguments today.

In the meantime, I came to the harsh realization that I'm not a hardcore movie/tv person at all. Movies and tv shows are something which I could "take it or leave it", and can easily live without either one for very long periods of time. (During the 1990s and early-mid 2000s, there were numerous periods of time where I didn't have cable and didn't watch any movies. For that matter, I didn't even watch ota broadcast tv either during some of these same time periods).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For Fringe and Lost, I would frequently rewatch episodes during the week as I waited for the next week's new episode. I've got the complete series sets for each show but I haven't watched them yet - but I'm pretty sure that one day I will.

(Not to sound like a wet blanket).

For a lot of stuff I purchased over the years, I kept on repeatedly saying to myself that I'll get to it "someday", such as: books, comics, vinyl records, cds, games, movies, etc ... which were never used once by me.

As I got older, I've gradually come to the harsh realization that "someday" will most likely become "never", for as much as 95%-99% of the stuff in my "someday todo" pile. Even during long periods of time (ie. vacation, furloughs, etc ...) when I could do whatever I want with no other commitments, I rarely ever went to my "someday todo" pile.

This is the primary reason why I just give away a lot of my old stuff. No point in keeping large quantities of stuff which costs money to store and/or maintain.

The hard part is figuring out which 1%-5% of stuff in my "someday todo" pile is something that I'll get into. In the case of dvds/blurays, so far the only titles I have repeatedly watched through is mostly stuff from the Stargate franchise.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If I was a genuine hardcore movie/tv person at heart, I would probably still be using the same arguments today.
And that's where you and I likely differ the most and drives the way we each watch and purchase physical media. I *am* a "genuine hardcore" movie/TV person. I've been that way all my life and can sit for hours watching movies and/or TV shows. I can do the same with a good book or music I love. Just sit and read or sit and listen for hours. Had I been born when my dad was born I *know* I'd have been a radio junkie and would have listened to as many radio plays as possible. I like them now, although I don't listen to them as much as I'd truly like.

When I was a kid I loved the "Fall Preview" editions of TV-Guide and by the time the season started would have the entire schedule memorized. I knew what was on which channel even if I had no intention of watching it.

A local TV station ran movies *all* afternoon and into the early evening *every* Saturday. They also ran a movie *every* weekday morning. I loved it! If a movie ran short they filled with old newsreels, "The March of Time," "The Passing Parade," and/or 1-2 reel comedies (Robert Benchley, Andy Clyde, and others). That material was gravy on the potatoes! I saw more movies during that time of my life than just about any other. All genres. Many of them "stuck" and became favorites I've revisited time and time again, eventually sharing with my kids and now the grandkids. Another station ran The Three Stooges, Our Gang/Llttle Rascals, and Looney Tunes, all *uncut* every afternoon for a hour. More material I've shared with my kids and grandkids. And thanks to DVD can show these to them as *I* saw them - uncut.

The late night "Horror Host" program every Friday (single feature) and Saturday (double feature!) fed my love for SF, Fantasy, and Horror films, which started when I found my dad's SF novel collection at age 12, devouring each. That channel, and another "local" channel, ran many of the 50s comedy and western programs which were then in syndication. Because of that I'd seen much of the 50s TV output and lived through the 60s output. Truly the Golden Age of TV.

Unlike today we had only 3 (or 4 counting PBS) channels so there was lots of time to *not* watch TV and go outside. If we'd had what my grandkids have I may have never left the house. If it had not been for that channel which ran movies of all types I doubt I'd have seen most of what I've seen over the years.

BUT I don't do repeat viewings of any fiim or TV episode more often than once every few months, unless one of the grandkids asks for a specific movie/episode/short. That helps keep 'em "fresh" and avoid burn out. I've watched many shows in syndication (before DVD came along) with quite a few run so often that I'd grown bored of them and would no longer watch one if I came accross it when running channels. DVD changed all that. I no longer watch "live" TV so don't get over-saturated with any single show. My library is large enough that I can easily go for years without a repeat of any program. I like it that way because it helps *everything* feel fresh again. Just recently I purchased a season each of a few shows I'd gotten burnt out on when in college (40 years ago) and was surprised that I actually enjoyed them - again. So much so that I purchased all the seasons of each. That's pure joy. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm also no longer automatically upgrading all DVDs to Blu-ray.
I do that only when there is a compelling reason and then generally only for absolute favorites. Here are the reasons for which I'll double dip:

Greatly improved PQ
The Blu-ray is a cut unavailable or OOP on DVD and I don't own a copy
The DVD is a "flat" transfer while the Blu-ray is anamorphic.

Even if I see a "good" price on a favorite I'll pull my DVD to see if I think it's "good enough." If it is, I don't "upgrade" unless it's a super low price. And that's only for a carefully selected group of films/TV shows.

So far I've upgraded:

Star Trek:TOS (significantly improved PQ and the ability to view the original fx or the newly created ones)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (I'd not planned on this one until I saw the vastly improved PQ. It's WOW! level)
Band of Brothers (significantly improved PQ and a special PIP feature)
The Pacific (because I'd upgraded BoB and it was very inexpensive)
That 70s Show (good price, improved PQ *and* uncut episodes)
Mad Max Trilogy (t was cheap, and a bit better PQ)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture Anthology (better PQ on some and theatrical releases on others)
Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology: 1978-2006 (got it at a super low price and it has almost all the films)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Edition (better PQ)
Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (got a super low price. Didn't compare first)
The Alien Quadrilogy (price was very low. Didn't compare first)
Universal Monsters: The Essential Collection (because it's the *classic* Universal Monster films - why else?)
Batman '66 (because my 5 year old granddaugher loves the show, as do I, and it was very inexpensive)
Forbidden Planet (was very inexpensive. Didn't compare first)
Sean Connery Bond films (improved PQ)
The Mel Brooks Collection (improved PQ on some)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (improved PQ and was inexpensive)
The Vincent Price Collection II & III (improved PQ, a couple of films not available on pressed DVD included, good price)
Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection (improved PQ, "bad" DVD18s replaced, very low price)

That's out of hundreds of TV shows and thousands of movies. There are a few others I'd upgrade *if* they ever receive a Blu-ray release and the price is right.

*Everything* on that upgrade list has been seen multiple times over the years and are movies and TV shows I'd gladly watch any time anyone asks. Most get at least a bi-annual viewing with some receiving annual viewings.

Last edited:

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
This thread makes me philosophical, because it deals in part with time and its passage, and how we rethink things. Being the entry level codger that I am, I still think in terms of five years ahead without much thought. Lately I've been rewatching movies from about ten years ago for the second or third time. Five years can go by before I revisit a favorite movie. This makes me wonder how many movies in my collection will I actually want to watch again circa 2021 or even 2026, when I'll be dining on orange jello and babbling about Honey West. So, I've been gradually sifting through the discs now and thinking, "yeah, I think I've seen this one for the last time." It creates more room on the shelf and also makes me consider newer offerings in their place.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Star Trek:TOS (significantly improved PQ and the ability to view the original fx or the newly created ones)

Believe it or not, I haven't gotten that Blu-Ray with the choice of picture options, simply because I have the 2015 all-in-one DVD release that has the remastering, and as such, have questioned why I would want another version that's the same thing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I began collecting with a Beta machine in the '80s, eventually switching to VHS, DVD, and then Blu Ray. In each format I ended up amassing a large collection, before disposing of the format and going on to the next.
I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I have ever watched a tape or disc more than once. Now when I had a DVD of a particular movie, and then bought the Blu Ray to replace it, I do watch that again, but otherwise no.
I have always said I will re-watch favorites when all new discs are watched, but that never seems to happen. I always have a pile of new releases, or Walmart $7.99 Blu Rays to get through.
Since my cable company offered TCM a few years ago I have made thousands of DVDs with my recordable DVD players and these line floor to ceiling book cases in my basement man cave with just about every silent, 1930s and 1940s movie that have been on the channel. I can't resist having copies of say most of Humphry Bogart's movies and making cases for them for about $2.00. All unwatched discs have a sticker dot on their spine to mark them and I keep an extensive computer data base.
This weeks viewing is typical. It started with a TCM Joan Crawford from the 1930s, followed up by the new Blu Ray of Victor/Victoria (yes I ordered the replacement), and the $7.99 Walmart Blu Ray of Howard the Duck.
Tomorrow I intend to watch the DVD copy I made of a disc borrowed from the library of Star Wars The Force Awakens. I only buy Blu Ray 3D versions of movies shown in 3D at the theatre, so the DVD will have to do until Disney comes to its senses.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Believe it or not, I haven't gotten that Blu-Ray with the choice of picture options, simply because I have the 2015 all-in-one DVD release that has the remastering, and as such, have questioned why I would want another version that's the same thing.
I waited to purchase the edition with the remastering and updated fx until I got a Blu-ray player *because* I wanted the option of updated or original fx which is not available on the DVD set (it has only updated fx and that's a shame as they accomplished both on the Blu-ray via seamless branching and could have done so on the DVD set). I'm glad I waited.

While I *do* like much of what was done for the updated fx I frequently do *not* like the CGI Enterprise. It, too often, looks "wrong" in some way or another. Usually it's the angle in which it's shown and the perspective looks off. Yeah... being done on computer that shouldn't happen but, to me, it does... frequently. I like the new looks of the planets they orbit but, in spite of the realistic new look, prefer the original.

I finished a full viewing of the Blu-ray set just a couple of weeks ago watching that first time through with the updated fx. While watching S3 I discovered I could switch between the old/new fx "on-the-fly" using the angle button or a on-screen menu so I switched back and forth a few times on some episodes. In spite of mostly enjoying the new fx, they *do* look very good, I have to say I'll be watching with the original for most future viewings. That's mainly because I've found I like them better, even the grainy and poor mattes on some shots of the Enterprise.

Using the ability to easily switch between the fx shots I discovered they frequently changed the angle(s) and even shots of the Enterprise in space sequences. I'd assumed they kept the original framing/layouts and just digitized them but that's not the case. When using the viewscreen to look astern they added the nacelles to the shot while the originals are "clear" of obstruction (they way it should be). There are many more such changes. Some good, some not so good.

If I were watching the series for the first time I'd go with the new as you'd not know any differences. If I introduce someone to the series I'll screen the new fx versions with them first. The updated fx look *very* good and integrate very well. But just for me, I'll use the classic fx as it's what I prefer. I also like the original mono audio better than the new mix and newly recorded open. It, too, is a bit "off" which I noticed immediately. Like many of the new fx it's very good but just not quite right.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I just want enough time to elapse to where I don't remember every twist and turn by heart before I even start rewatching.

When I like a current show, I like to immerse myself into its world by rewatching each new piece of the puzzle. But once it ends, I tend to shelve it for a while so that I can still be taken for a ride the next time I decide to watch it. When it's on the air all I want to do is watch it but when that ends I need to give some distance so that I don't wear it out.

Back in 2011-2012, I was thinking/rationalizing along similar lines. I probably would have made the same arguments back then.

In practice, I found that this was not the case at all for me. :(

For example, recently I went back and watched through some of the first dvd sets I purchased back in 2011, such as tv shows like: Numb3rs, The Closer, The Shield, X-Files, etc ... Other than general broad story arcs, I don't remember much of the details from episodes of these particular shows. Watching through these shows again, they all largely felt "flat" to me (except for Stargate).

I came to the harsh realization that coming back "re-fresh" to a particular show, generally did not keep my interest at all. (I tried this for other dvd sets I purchased back in 2011-2012, and other then-current shows I was watching during 2010-2012).

In hindsight, overall this type of rationalizing was largely an elaborate cover story to justify (to myself) my then ever-growing "someday todo" pile of dvds/blurays.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I do that only when there is a compelling reason and then generally only for absolute favorites. Here are the reasons for which I'll double dip:

Greatly improved PQ
The Blu-ray is a cut unavailable or OOP on DVD and I don't own a copy
The DVD is a "flat" transfer while the Blu-ray is anamorphic.

Even if I see a "good" price on a favorite I'll pull my DVD to see if I think it's "good enough." If it is, I don't "upgrade" unless it's a super low price. And that's only for a carefully selected group of films/TV shows.

So far I've upgraded:

That's out of hundreds of TV shows and thousands of movies. There are a few others I'd upgrade *if* they ever receive a Blu-ray release and the price is right.

In terms of tv shows, so far I have only upgraded one set to bluray: Stargate Universe season 1.

It turned out, I paid a lot less for the bluray version than the original dvd version. I found the picture quality of the SGU season 1 bluray looked a lot better than the dvd version. It appears all the cg and other special effects in SGU, might have been done in HD resolution from the start in 2009. (In contrast, there's some allegations that the cg + special effects in Stargate Atlantis appear they might have been done at lower sd resolutions over 2004 -> 2008).

At the present time, I don't have any plans to upgrade any of my other tv dvd season sets, such as: Stargate Atlantis, X-Files, the original Battlestar Galactica, Warehouse 13, etc ... Perhaps if I still cared, I might be compelled to upgrade if the Stargate Atlantis and X-Files bluray season sets were $5 a pop or less. :)

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I never realized how OCD I was about DVD's until word went out that they probably wouldn't be releasing the final season of Leverage on DVD. "What??? You can't release the first four seasons and then just leave the final season orphaned like that!" I was very relieved when they finally did release it after all. The thing is... I hadn't even been collecting the Leverage DVD's (although I did watch and enjoy the show).

Universal has done the same with Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Released the first 5 seasons and left the last season unreleased.... and the last season is only 8 episodes long! Fortunately the older version from Anchor Bay is still in print. But now I've got a mismatched set! Drives me crazy.

I don't really do upgrades. There are only a few movies and a handful of TV shows where the higher definition would make any difference to me. I grew up on blurry VHS tapes and DVD is good enough for me. I don't even have a Blu-ray player because my old DVD player still works perfectly (and has a VHS deck as well). When it finally dies I'll probably buy a Blu-ray player... by which time everyone will probably be watching 4K UHD.

I do like the multi-format packages that some companies like Disney are selling now... the DVD and Blu-ray in the same package for the same price.

As for DVD vs. streaming, it always amuses me when I get to be the hero.

"Oh no, that TV show is gone from Netflix and I was halfway through watching it."

"That's OK, I own the whole series on DVD. You can watch it anytime."

"What? Is that legal? When they take it off Netflix doesn't the content owner send someone to make you turn over your disks?"

"Not if they know what's good for them."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've really been enjoying these posts on ownership and stories about your collections. It's really great of you guys to share.

(Going somewhat offtopic).

Here's something I recently posted to another thread on this board, which would be in the "too little, too late" category for me and many others on this thread/forum. But nevertheless, here it is as a possible "warning story" for others who might be prone to being an ocd compulsive collector + completionist, and/or is not a hardcore movie/tv show person at all.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/blu-ray-discs-gone-unreadable.348530/

(As a tangential aside).

Around a decade ago (circa mid-2000s), I remember several local friends who had very large dvd collections talking about some of their dvd discs going bad. At the time, I didn't think much about it.

In late-2010 when I first thought about and entertained the idea of buying a lot of dvds/blurays, these same local friends gave me a very stern warning about optical discs going bad. (I only started buying a lot dvds/blurays in 2011, where over the entire 2000s decade I had very little to no interest in dvds/blurays). From these first hand experiences, quite a few of these friends never moved on to bluray and largely exited the dvd collecting hobby by the mid/late-2000s.

Come 2011, I largely ignored the advice of my local friends and completely turned a blind eye to phenomenon of optical discs going bad. At the time I was thinking "it won't ever happen to me". ;)

By early 2015, I was encountering dvd/bluray discs in my collection which were developing bad sectors or wouldn't play at all. Unfortunately I should have taken my friends' stern advice back in late-2010, and not ever start collecting dvds/blurays in the first place. :(

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Had I been born when my dad was born I *know* I'd have been a radio junkie and would have listened to as many radio plays as possible. I like them now, although I don't listen to them as much as I'd truly like.

(Going somewhat offtopic).

I'm a lot less certain about how I would have turned out if I was a lot older or younger. For example, would I have been into the same types of tv shows, movies, music bands, games, etc ... if I was 20+ years older or younger?

Hypothetically if I was 20 years younger, I have no idea what types of music/shows/movies etc ... I could be into (in principle).

As an example, initially I grew up listening to disco music and later really crappy heavy metal in the mainstream, when I was a kid/teenager during late-1970s and 1980s. If I was 20+ years younger, stuff like disco and heavy metal didn't really exist in the mainstream during the late-1990s and 2000s.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And that's where you and I likely differ the most and drives the way we each watch and purchase physical media. I *am* a "genuine hardcore" movie/TV person. I've been that way all my life and can sit for hours watching movies and/or TV shows. I can do the same with a good book or music I love. Just sit and read or sit and listen for hours.

The only time period I can remember ever being a hardcore tv/movie person, would have been when I was a kid/preteen in the late-70s and 1980s. This is probably the main reason why I remember so fondly stuff like:

- Rambo
- Magnum PI
- Knight Rider
- Rocky
- The A-Team
- Miami Vice
- the original Battlestar Galactica
- Airwolf
- Indiana Jones
- Dukes of Hazzard
- etc ...

Movies + tv shows more or less fell by the wayside sometime when I was in college. In those days, the last tv show I remember following closely from week to week, was the first season of MacGyver. For the next two decades or so, I largely didn't really pay close attention to movies and tv shows at all. (I started watching tv again regularly in 2007).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks