What's new

Snowthrower recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hey guys, it's been sunny and 80 degrees at my house this week. Just to let you know...
:D

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Michael*K,

I'm in complete agreement. I actually forgot what a snowblower (" I think this is the chicago term ") actually is because I'm not even sure what snow is since I haven't seen any yet this year. And those wimpy flurries I've seen occasionally don't count.

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
I take the same approach with snowblowers that I do with cars . . buy a good used one with lots of features for a ton less than new. Case in point:

I drive a 1983 BMW 733i. It has heated leather seats, power windows, power door locks, sunroof, power mirrors, rear air and heat, cruise, auto climate control, perfect interior and rust free exterior, and rides like a dream. I paid $1500 for it and wouldn't expect anything less than 100,000 miles from it. Plus, I don't carry collision insurance on it since I only paid $1500, which means in a year from the time I bought it, it will have paid for itself in insurance savings alone.

I just bought a 7hp, 26 inch cut Ariens snowblower from a local landscape place for $150. For the half a dozen times a year it gets used, and with a little maintenance (oil change yearly, new plugs, clean after each use) I would expect to get 10 years out of it. These go for 700-900 new. Just today there is an 8HP Simplicity with electric start in our local paper for $175.

I guess the same could be said for my HT. Why buy a new CRT projector at $15,000-$25,000 when there is a plethora of excellent used units in the $800-$2000 range ?? If you shop around and find somebody who cares for their stuff, used equipment is an excellent value?

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Didn't you guys get the summertime memo about this years allocation being dumped on Buffalo? Seems the earth's path around the sun was altered due to heavy subwoofer activity in the USA, causing the LFE gods to concentrate a season's precipitation on one area.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
John...I had heard that Buffalo thought that they were still gonna host the 2002 Winter Olympics and the entire Buffalo metropolitan area prayed for heavy wintery precip to accomodate all the events.
Looks like they didn't get the memo from the Olympic Committee. :)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Julie, you can keep your 80 degree sun. There's many reasons why I live in Chicago and January days without 80 degree temperatures is one of them. I like my cold, blustery winter weather. :)
Dave, though I've forgotten what snow looks like, it seems we might get some tomorrow. Maybe it will refresh my memory. Of course, since I live south of the city, I'm quite certain it will pass me by. :frowning:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Here, here Mike! I'll take my four seasons over living in Florida (the "Elephant Graveyard" according to my grandfather) or California ("how do you like your disaster? Would you prefer earthquakes, landslides, forest fires, drought, locust, etc.") The only thing I wish we had in SE Michigan is mountains. I do love mountains.
This year a snowblower is about as useful in SE Michigan as it would be in Miami. We may get 2"-4" tonight, so get ready for the TV boobs to activate their "STORM CENTERS" :angry:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
:star: :star: :star: STORM TEAM UPDATE :star: :star: :star:
:star: It appears that SE Michigan is in the grip of Old Man Winter. We can expect 3"-5" by the end of this storm. :star:
(Buffalo residents please quit rolling your eyes... your Mother was right, keep doing that and your face may freeze in that position)
A winter advisory kept running across the screen tonight informing us that we could expect SEVERAL inches of snow. My God, how can we survive??? If this is my last post before I die in an icy tomb please watch a DVD for me...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Alas, the snow rolled through today and left only an inch or so...not enough to fire up the new Toro. :frowning:
Hey Dennis better run to the supermarket to get some milk & bread in case you get the big one .
Though we don't bother stocking up here when snow is forecast, this comment brought me back to my college days in Maryland when reports of an inch or two of snow instilled a palpable sense of panic in the masses. The aisles of all the Giant food stores would be stripped bare. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks