What's new

SNL 4/9/05 (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It was great seeing the Barry Gibbs talk show again. Was that the most surprise appearances in one sketch ever?

The Michael Jackson cartoon was also good.

~T

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I wanted to like SNL, but it's getting harder and harder each week.

Last nights show with Cameron Diaz gave further proof that writing and funny are in short supply on the upper floors of Rockefeller Center these days. The rare good sketch is so random that waiting for some gold among the sludge is tough going. There have been flashes of hope - I liked Lindsey Lohan guest appearance in some skits and Myra doing Oprah is always good. Let me see if there is more........no I guess not.

Last night:
Although Cameron Diaz is certainly fine looking, what was it with the belly shirt during the opening monologue? Her stomach looked kinda like she just had a baby and needed some more time under cover before low jeans and a halter top. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but even my teenage son remarked that something looked wrong. The TV Funhouse cartoon was as tasteless as ever and I find it hard to make it to Weekend Update most weeks now.

It's not the cast or the format itself......I think it's just lackluster writing and a show deviod of energy. Here's hoping for better.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

What you were seeing was the absence of fat on her stomach combined with low slung jeans, revealing her internal obliques.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Weekend update had some bizarre stories with the rectum skin whitening procedure and woman breastfeeding tigers.

The timing of the pixelated censoring was consistently off with the cardinal giving the finger and Diaz ripping off her shirt.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Chuck, you're discovering why I bailed on SNL about 2 years ago. The sketches don't appeal to me anymore, and I don't agree with a lot of the humor.

Although I haven't seen this episode (since I don't watch SNL anymore), I can see that things are just as bad as when I cut bait a while back.

Now I find that I'm a "MAD TV" person. Their humor is edgier and more even. "MAD TV" also does the reverse of what SNL does. While SNL will make fun of various famous people until the famous people get in on the joke, "MAD TV" brings the famous people on first and then blowtorches them once their appearances have been done.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Besides that, I'd take Nicole Parker and Stephnie Weir over Tina Fey and Amy Poehler any day.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
John,

I will have to check out MAD TV again. The last several times I clicked over it did seem much edgier and spirited. I always thought of them as a SNL wannabe, but it appears they are wisely shooting for the seasons long since past. Thanks.

RickGr

Second Unit
We all know that SNL has been going downhill since the first show in 1975.........

same ole same ole

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
Have to agree with most of the comments on the show (made it through weekend update before falling asleep from boredom). Even things that could be funny, like Jimmy Fallon dropping by the Weekend Update desk, just were flat and poorly written.

The cardinal sketch, though, I found really funny. (What can I say, fart and finger jokes never let me down =p)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I thought this was one of the more consistant shows in a while. There were some very funny sketchs (Al Sharpton running for Pope), the MJ cartoon was tasteless, but funny, and Fallon showing up on Weekend Update like a divorced father, with Amy being the new spouse was great.

Sure, SNL can be unfunny, but has there ever actually been an episode where every sketch hit?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I actually think SNL only started going downhill in 1990. I know many people prefer the Farley/Sandler era on up, but I would have to say that's because quite a lot of the pre-90s episodes didn't get enough exposure in reruns.

What I mean is: Back when SNL reruns were on Comedy Central, the episodes rerun came almost exclusively from the 90s. Occasionally, you would get a late 80s episode and on very rare occasions an early-to-mid-80s episode, but episodes from the Farley/Sandler era on were the main order of the day.

To be honest, I think the best SNL episodes were made from the 1980-1981 season to the 1989-1990 season. Once Farley, Sandler and the others became cast members...THAT was when the show started going downhill.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

That's my opinion and I am outta here!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

When you have to explain Cameron's tummy with The Visible Woman....it's past the time when she should be exposing that area.
She looked weird. Not that I would send her away, it's just that at 32, featuring the stomach was a mistake.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think it's more that she's so thin most people aren't used to seeing that kind of muscle definition, not a matter of age.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I still think those were her muscles, since exposed pelvic bones are on the side of the torso, not the front, but regardless it still means she's very skinny.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know where you can view the skit of the "Barry Gibb talk show"? I have been singing that song for 3 days.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You know, I'm not one of those people who constantly bitches about how bad SNL is or how much better MADTv is, or how SNL used to be so much better. I'm still a fan of the show and record every episode, and I like most of the new cast.

That said, this was about the worst show I've seen in a while. I think I laughed twice during Update.

It was so bad that I didn't even bother showing my wife the Extreme Makeover sketch even though she's a big fan of EM (and I always kid her about it) because the sketch was so not funny.

I don't think Diaz was able to get through any of her sketches without flubbing her lines. Drunk much?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Joe, I don't know where you can find that sketch for this episode, but I'm sure you could find the first one they did on the Justin Timberlake episode somewhere.

Remind me to start a season thread for SNL next year, so people who complain about how bad SNL has been will likely only post once. :) Same for The Simpsons.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks