What's new

Smart TV users ‘twice as likely’ to cancel pay TV (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
US broadband users with a connected TV are twice as likely to “cut the cord” from their pay TV subscriptions as their non-connected counterparts, new research claims.

A report from The Diffusion Group (TDG) says that, on average, 8.8% of connected TV users are “highly inclined” to cancel their pay-TV service in the next six months, compared with 3.5 % of non-connected users. And 7% are “highly likely” to cancel in the next six months.

Has anyone that owns a Smart TV canceled their cable or satellite service?

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I dumped cable 6 months ago and havnet looked back. Netflix is great. 6.99 month vs 69.00 month. The choice is obvious

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My problem, living in the boonies...this is the internet capacity I get...

Wild Blue 7g a month(actually have 12, but ADT chews up 5 a month from the house been "on the net")
Tmobile 12.5 g(high speed, their throttled is fast enough for email/Facebook/Amazon and that is about it)
Verizon 5g before I pay overage(nowhere near as fast as Tmobile, but have it for when I go to Blooomington, where my uncle lives...and nothing else works)
Tmobile, via cell phone, 5g(high speed, throttled afterwards)

That is 30g-ish of internet. Or about 20hours-ish of HD streaming.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I haven't had paid TV for at least 4 years. Just Netflix streaming and my OTA antenna. DVD's and Blu-rays I get from the library.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'd do that too if we could GET any OTA out here, in our mountain valley. So I pay $7.95/mo. for basic channels, subscribe to Netflix, rent Blu's from the library (our system even stocks 3D ones), and wait for anything recent to show up for 99-cent nights on Vudu.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My cable would be gone if I could figure out how to get TCM. My Insight just went over to Time Warner and the bill jumped up $15 so I'm going to have to make some cuts because $150 is just way too much and especially when I only watch maybe 10 stations. I'm sure if I posted a list of the TV shows I watch then they'd be on some of the streaming stations that I currently pay for.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Cable used to have it's strength, but now it's mostly a holdover. As more of the buyers have three ready formats to buy content and one and doners have things such as Netflix and libraries, they have a lot more freedom that essentially promotes "cutting the cord".

However my bigger concern with this posting is the math. Is it really something to be concerned when you don't even have ten percent cutting the cord? To me statistically that just getting off the ground. While it's true that it's "double" that still doesn't mean much when we are talking figures of 3% and 8%

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My cable would be gone if I could figure out how to get TCM. My Insight just went over to Time Warner and the bill jumped up $15 so I'm going to have to make some cuts because $150 is just way too much and especially when I only watch maybe 10 stations. I'm sure if I posted a list of the TV shows I watch then they'd be on some of the streaming stations that I currently pay for.
You pay $150 per month? My goodness!!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jim Mcc said:
You pay $150 per month? My goodness!!
Lemme guess: TW does what Comcast/XFinity does, and they now socked you with a scramble box that means you can't plug the cord into the cable-ready TV and get the local HD network affiliates anymore, without buying their $99/mo. digital package, like it's some "prestige" deal not to watch SD?

If I didn't have the local cable to get the cheap Internet, I'd have sent the sherrifff on my own highway bandits after the most recent stunt. What started out as near-monopolistic corporate overconfidence is now seriously bordering on extortion and black-marketeering.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
That's part of the problem. The price also includes $40 for internet. $8 for HBO and $10 for a special selection of HD stations like MGMHD but both of these are being cut at the end of the month. $10 for the DVR and then there's another $7 charge for the mini-boxes. I think I might also be paying an extra $10 a month for a select group of channels, which I don't watch except for TCM.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My "combined" internet/Directv*/ADT bill...

$387/month. *If I paid full boat for my Directv.

I pay $100/month for 12.5 g of high speed Tmobile (the bill is actually closer to $265 with two actual phones with unlimited everything)
Would be paying $179**(I think) for Directv. All I actually do pay is extra STB, DVR, HD Extra Pack and for 2 of the 5 pay channel packages(Since I used to sell Directv, I am still on their teet...so to speak)
$90/month for combined Wild Blue/ADT

So, quit your whining...

**I will still pay for the full boat of Directv...cause I'm not missing anything.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
My combined cable/internet/telephone bill with Time Warner Cable is 135 dollars a month. Unfortunately, I don't see myself ever being able to cut the cord. Minus my wife's shows that she loves to DVR (even though every station has a damn on demand channel to where she could catch up that way), we're crazy sports fans.

From September to June, we're watching all kinds of sports and it has to be in HD. I can't go back to SD and I'm not about to do streaming of sports with the possibility of the signal buffering in the middle of the drama of sports. Just can't do it. I wish I could because I barely watch a lot of actual television shows. I'm mainly on HBO Go, Redbox, local library for other movies, and ESPN but that's about it. I could get everything else in other ways but it's the sports. If you're a serious sports lover, I just don't see how you can cut the cord unless you have no family, no kids, and just go to the bars or a friend's house all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks