"Smallville" Complete First Season...when?...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jonny P, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I am anxiously hoping/waiting for a first season box set of "Smallville" on DVD (also hoping for letterbox)...is there any word as to when/if this might happen and what sort of features it might have.

Thanks...

2. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I'm just curious why you would want it letterboxed? I believe the whole first season was exclusively 4x3. I think the second season started with HD / 16x9.

3. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

The first season was indeed filmed for 16x9 broadcast and the Canadian DVD release of the pilot and episode 2 are in widescreen. [​IMG]

4. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

As I recall, when the first couple of episodes aired last season, they were in letterbox format. I was then hoping the show would appear that way...

Widescreen or not, I am looking forward to a set (if there is one in the offing).

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The word is next year. [​IMG] Thank goodness for dvd recorders. [​IMG]

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

How about thank goodness for HiDef tuner cards with built-in scheduling and recording [​IMG] . Of course, one episode of Smallville @ 1080i & DD2.0 is almost 10 gigs, but disk prices are going down.

Now, WB should start airing in DD5.1 to match the DVD. The Canadian release is awesome BTW, and Region 1, so no special equipment is necssary. I strongly suggest any fan of the series buy it.

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

For some reason I thought this had already been announced [​IMG] Sad me.

8. Jesse Blacklow

Kyle:

It was, for the UK. I haven't heard anything about it since, but it was assumed it would be here soon after.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    This is my all time favorite tv show and would quickly buy this set.

11. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

After watching lasts nights episode with Reeve, I want this show on DVD!! Please on DVD!!

12. Jesse Blacklow

Re: Last night's show

THE SUPERMAN THEME!

That is all. I recorded it in HD, too. Now to find a DVDR drive for archival purposes...

EDIT: I'm definitely watching this again very soon. And the commercial at the end was pretty funny too. They were having some sort of drive late last year, where $1 was set aside for the foundation when you signed onto their list. I did it, and I'm thinking of donating some money again this year.

13. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

A little off topic since it's not about the DVD's per se, but did anyone else get chills last night when that first hint of the "Superman-The Movie" theme showed up in the music? What a great episode! Definitely the best since I've been watching (late last season). Is Mr. Reeve going to be in any future episodes? I hope so.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I should have gone to the TV forum first. Looks like many others felt the same.

14. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

15. Jesse Blacklow

Here's a link to the site where you can buy the Canadian pilot episode (actually "Pilot" and "Metamorphosis" combined). Enjoy, fans of Kal-El.

16. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Has anyone heard any more updates on a release date for Season One? I heard this year, then not this year, and then maybe late this year. Anything solid in the rumor mill?

17. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

KryptonSite is reporting in its Rumorville that Season One may be out in August. I'm not sure how reliable any DVD rumors from their site are but a lot of their episode spoilers are on target. Either way, I hope they're right on this one [​IMG]

18. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

19. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

The last I heard, we're getting it in 2004, no date set. It has already been announced for the UK, I believe. Thank goodness we're entering a time when shows can make it to dvd in a timely fashion in Region 1 as well as Region 2, which used to get home video releases years before the US because of syndication, etc.

The two episodes on the Canada disc are widescreen, so I assume the rest will be too when they make it to dvd. Kinda silly to release it in the US when it was a Region 1 release and very easy for anyone here to get if they wanted. I imagine they won't be cut together in the same way for the season set though.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer