What's new

"Smallville" Complete First Season...when?... (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I am anxiously hoping/waiting for a first season box set of "Smallville" on DVD (also hoping for letterbox)...is there any word as to when/if this might happen and what sort of features it might have.

Thanks...

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I'm just curious why you would want it letterboxed? I believe the whole first season was exclusively 4x3. I think the second season started with HD / 16x9.

MikeSilver

Stunt Coordinator
The first season was indeed filmed for 16x9 broadcast and the Canadian DVD release of the pilot and episode 2 are in widescreen. :)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
As I recall, when the first couple of episodes aired last season, they were in letterbox format. I was then hoping the show would appear that way...

Widescreen or not, I am looking forward to a set (if there is one in the offing).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
How about thank goodness for HiDef tuner cards with built-in scheduling and recording :D . Of course, one episode of Smallville @ 1080i & DD2.0 is almost 10 gigs, but disk prices are going down.

Now, WB should start airing in DD5.1 to match the DVD. The Canadian release is awesome BTW, and Region 1, so no special equipment is necssary. I strongly suggest any fan of the series buy it.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Kyle:

It was, for the UK. I haven't heard anything about it since, but it was assumed it would be here soon after.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now, WB should start airing in DD5.1 to match the DVD. The Canadian release is awesome BTW, and Region 1, so no special equipment is necssary. I strongly suggest any fan of the series buy it.
I'd second that. A really great disc, worth keeping even once the first season comes out.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Re: Last night's show

THE SUPERMAN THEME!

That is all. I recorded it in HD, too. Now to find a DVDR drive for archival purposes...

EDIT: I'm definitely watching this again very soon. And the commercial at the end was pretty funny too. They were having some sort of drive late last year, where $1 was set aside for the foundation when you signed onto their list. I did it, and I'm thinking of donating some money again this year.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
A little off topic since it's not about the DVD's per se, but did anyone else get chills last night when that first hint of the "Superman-The Movie" theme showed up in the music? What a great episode! Definitely the best since I've been watching (late last season). Is Mr. Reeve going to be in any future episodes? I hope so.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I should have gone to the TV forum first. Looks like many others felt the same.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Has anyone heard any more updates on a release date for Season One? I heard this year, then not this year, and then maybe late this year. Anything solid in the rumor mill?

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
KryptonSite is reporting in its Rumorville that Season One may be out in August. I'm not sure how reliable any DVD rumors from their site are but a lot of their episode spoilers are on target. Either way, I hope they're right on this one :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
After watching lasts nights episode with Reeve, I want this show on DVD!! Please on DVD!!
True. My feelings about this show are mixed (and I suspect many people probably share them). Often I cannot stand the show, whenever they do one of their kyptonite-villain stories, or a soap opera Clark-loves-Lana/Lana-kinda-loves-Clark-but-is-angry-with-him-for-keeping-secrets/Chloe-loves-Clark story. Who really cares? But when they have stories that advance the grand arc of Clark growing into Superman and Lex becoming evil (and the epiosde with Christopher Reeves was one of these), it is a great show, and makes all the crap episodes worth it.

And yes, that is a comment that should probably be in the TV section. But this was a convenient place to comment.

JohnAP

Second Unit
The last I heard, we're getting it in 2004, no date set. It has already been announced for the UK, I believe. Thank goodness we're entering a time when shows can make it to dvd in a timely fashion in Region 1 as well as Region 2, which used to get home video releases years before the US because of syndication, etc.

The two episodes on the Canada disc are widescreen, so I assume the rest will be too when they make it to dvd. Kinda silly to release it in the US when it was a Region 1 release and very easy for anyone here to get if they wanted. I imagine they won't be cut together in the same way for the season set though.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness we're entering a time when shows can make it to dvd in a timely fashion in Region 1 as well as Region 2, which used to get home video releases years before the US because of syndication, etc.
And when we DID get them they'd be "best-of" releases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks