What's new

Slim Cases or Digipack? (1 Viewer)

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
I thought it would be fun to have a discussion on what type of cases you like for your TV-DVD sets, slim-cases, digipacks, or maybe another one? Why?

I know I prefer digipacks cause I think they are not as cheap looking as slim cases are and I think they are sturdier. I also enjoy unfolding it for the first time, it kind of gives me a cheap thrill (I know, I'm kind of a loser).

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'm currently more partial to double slim cases, but I'd prefer that any series I collect stick with one design for the entire run (with a few exceptions, like Grey's Anatomy: Season One and The Office: Season One, which were significantly smaller than their follow-up seasons).

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I have always been one who likes the digipak cases, but only the ones that fold out in all their glory. I do not like the new fad of using the overlapper-digipak. I hate those with a passion. I just like the way the digipaks look when they're all folded out, they just look cool. The Alien Quadrilogy, while not a TV set, is the biggest digipak I own, and I love it.

I don't really mind the slim cases, but I too wish studios would stick to one design for a specific series, rather than switching between various types throughout the production run of the seasons. I'm one of those who are bothered by season sets that don't quite match up to each other on my shelf.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Slim cases.

I HATE digipaks...sure they are good for lots of interesting artwork, but the hassle of unfolding several flaps to get a single disc, as well as discs occaisionally falling off the tray hubs, make them more trouble than they are worth. Slim cases all the way...I wish CDs were stored in slim cases!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I prefer the Double Slim cases I never liked the digipaks... being made from cardboard the digipaks can wear and rip at the seams. with the slim cases you get the durability of of the plastic keep case as well as plenty of space to put art/episode plots.

I have had digipaks start to tear at the seams... also had the plastic trays come unglued from the cardboard. With the slim cases I never had any problem what so ever. So for me it is the Slim Cases all the way!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather see the double slim cases if its a show's first DVD. But if they started with the digipak (like 24 for example), I'd rather see them continue in digipaks.

However, I'm not that worried either way.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If the digipack school includes the Buffy the Vampire Slayer megaset that I bought for $139 in November 2005, then it's got my vote as the best way to package a long-running TV series. :cool::emoji_thumbsup:

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
I prefer the digipack fold-out style for seasons.. like R2 24 seasons ..

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Slim cases. Absolutely hate digipacks. Pain in the rear end to open up, terribly easy to rip or break and hard as hell to transport just one disc of the set. With the slim cases, you can grab one and run if you need to.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Double slim cases. I'm not impressed by something taking up a lot of room on the shelf, and unfolding something to four times its original width to get at a disk is a pain in the neck.

Second place to the book-style cases used for DS9 and Sledge Hammer!, although the latter could use an outer box.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I personally prefer slimcases. Okay, digipacks emphasize much better artwork, but I don't really care about bulk, I just want the discs.

I used to hate the overlapping discs, but I've actually gotten used to it because of Veronica Mars, Desperate Housewives and Supernatural. I like those much better than long foldout digipacks that take up twice the size.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I prefer slimcases as they are generally better made and more likely to keep the disc in place and survive shipping whereas digipacs seem cheap to me and are easy to fall apart, drop and scratch the disc, crack its nipple, come unglued, get damaged in shipping and the sort. Also, they are a lot easier to replace than a digipack which is near impossible.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yep, I agree. Yes, slimcases can break, but they can actually be replaced relatively cheaply. When you crack a digipack, you're screwed.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator
Slim Cases, because it is easy to carry one disc if you are going to watch the show on the go.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Aargh.

You crouch down on the floor to eject the DVD player. Then you try to unfold the fricking thing on your knees without losing your balance, and then you have to support the back of the thing with your knee while popping out the disk so you don't bend the cardboard. And if you find there's already a disk in the player when you hit Eject, you've got to keep that one stuck on one of your fingers the whole time. Who invented this torture device?

Babylon 5 Season 2 slipped off my lap the other day and now one of the plastic 'pages' is no longer attached to the cardboard.

Aargh.

I have nothing against overlapping disks.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I would love for double-slims to be the norm.

I don't hate digipacks or anything, but slimcases are so much more convenient.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Since snappers are gone the digipack with the double stacked discs are now the bane of my existence!

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Double slim cases. I used to like Digipaks, simply because it looks very nifty, but it is not as practical. I ran out of shelf space about 50 sets ago so the smaller the better. Don't even get me started on the scotch tape disc trays the Simpsons seasons 6 & on have used. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks