What's new

Blu-ray Review Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
classicmovieguy said:
It should be worth mentioning, though, that the cover art on this version is something of a collectible. The UK edition has Aurora in her 'Briar Rose' costume. :)
Not to me. I'll just be fine with the first release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Matt Hough said:
As you can see from my listing of the bonus feature content, Grand Canyon is not included in this release.
Boo! Hiss! Boo! Not at you Matt, at Disney for making this stupid decision. Glad I already have the previous release.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
classicmovieguy said:
Is anybody else noticing that as the years trickle by, these "Diamond" editions include less and less special features than the earlier "Platinum" ones?
Yes.And omitting The Grand Canyon feature on this one is a new low.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
No sale. I was dubious about this release when it was first announced and don't really need to double dip (triple dip, after the DVD) on Sleeping Beauty. I'm happy with what I have. Thanks Matt!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What Disney should have done for this was take the opportunity to add in back some of the extras they didn't port from the old Special Edition dvd, alas they did not.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So let's also be realistic. Do any of us think Sleeping Beauty would have been re-released now if it weren't designed as a tie in with Maleficent? That's all this really is: a marketing gimmick.

Other upgrades from the Platinum to Diamond releases were 8 years...then the timeline started getting condensed. Poor Aladdin is still MIA.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
It is a crime they have omitted the Grand Canyon Suite. This was produced to be released along with Sleeping Beauty. Disney home video has slid down into the gutter with this release. Don't buy it. Keep your old one or find a copy of the original Bluray. It is also a crime Bedknobs and Broomsticks was not released as it was on the DVD restored to the original roadshow version. They did a good job on Mary Poppins and Ichabod and Mr. Toad, but they are falling down severely here and with other new releases. And whatever happened to Pollyanna? It was supposed to be released last spring. Also, it's time to bring us Blackbeard's Ghost and That Darn Cat.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The following is a list of missing extras, the vast majority of which were presented in high definition:

[*]Cine-Explore In-Movie Experience: Featuring original concept art, production photos and other materials
[*]Grand Canyon: Short film shown before Sleeping Beauty during its original theatrical release
[*]Original Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough Attraction
[*]History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction
[*]Sequence 8: A closer look at a particularly difficult scene that was in production for 2 years
[*]Sleeping Beauty Deleted Songs: "It Happens I Have A Picture," "Riddle Diddle," "Go To Sleep"
[*]Sleeping Beauty Alternate Opening
[*]Storyboard Sequences (SD): "The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep," "The Capture Of The Prince"
[*]Original Live-Action Reference Film Footage (SD)
[*]The Peter Tchaikovsky Story: 49-minute dramatization
[*]Four Artists Paint One Tree: Featuring Walt Peregoy, Josh Meador, Eyvind Earle and Marc Davis
[*]Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries: Which featured hundreds of images
[*]Publicity: Which housed three theatrical trailers
[*]4 BD Games: Dragon Encounter, Maleficent's Challenge, Briar Rose's Enchanted Dance, Fun with Language
[*]Princess Fun Facts: Trivia Track
[*]Music Video: Once Upon a Dream
[*]Disney Song Selection Suite
[*]Song Lyrics Subtitle Track
[/list]

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The name "Platinum Edition" really meant something back in those long ago days, from the very first release to the last, and the "Special Editions" were just as excellent. (I never understood why they came up with so many series names, or how they were supposed to be differentiated.)

As far as I recall, "Diamond Edition" originally meant the same special thing, in Blu-ray. It certainly means NOTHING now.

So, is it time for a new Disney series moniker? "Dumbed Down Tie-In Slap Dash Reissue"?

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Has anyone from Disney ever explained why they modify their animated films? Warner Bros. leaves theirs alone and it is very interesting to see the dirt, grain, smudges and other artifacts in the old Looney Tunes. I'm afraid Disney scrubs theirs so clean we're losing a lot of the artwork which is a shame.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have no problem with the disc having the same transfer as the previous release (which I missed and is now selling for nearly 100 bucks on Amazon). The last release was in 2008, so it's slightly earlier than usual to re-open the vaults, but so what? A tie-in to a live action movie with one of the biggest stars in the world doesn't happen every day.

Zentradi

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Thank you for the info. Still undecided on canceling my Best Buy preorder though. Im really only getting it for the exclusive slipcover.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Zentradi said:
Thank you for the info. Still undecided on canceling my Best Buy preorder though. Im really only getting it for the exclusive slipcover.
I will never understand this. I could understand if you didn't already own SB, but to give this money grubbing company more of your money for only a slipcover? Does a slipcover really enrich your life that much?u

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Favate said:
I have no problem with the disc having the same transfer as the previous release (which I missed and is now selling for nearly 100 bucks on Amazon). The last release was in 2008, so it's slightly earlier than usual to re-open the vaults, but so what? A tie-in to a live action movie with one of the biggest stars in the world doesn't happen every day.
Most are not complaining about the transfer, or the tie-in angle. It's the stripped down version that's pissing us off. It's not like they mislaid the extras or have to create them from scratch. They dropped them so that, 5 years from now they can reissue again with "all new extras, not on the last release."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks